• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Small article in RPS about server options.

That RPS article linked a really cool article about RO1, published a couple years ago, that I have not read before. Check it out:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/09/done_column_battle_klaxon_on_r.php

EDIT:

Holy **** the most annoying troll I have ever encountered since the BF1942 days is BACK! (in the comments of the RPS article). Seriously this guy has trolled everything from all of the Battlefield games, to FH1 and FH2 mods, the Battlegroup Frontlines mod (for FH2), and soooo many others. We should be honored he now has chosen RO2 as his next target :D

Misnomer says:06/20/2011 at 16:00

Options breed empty servers. I like options as much as the next server admin, but I have also had enough experience to know that eventually there are only 1 or 2 rulesets that populate. If you are lucky there may be 1 or 2 mods that do as well. That is counting on a COD or Battlefield size community, with less that that it is a bit rougher.

I have run COD4, COD5, BC2… and it always comes down to the fact that if you want your server to populate you have to appeal to one of the large groups of gamers: Casual pubbers or competition folk. There just aren’t enough inbetween if you don’t have a massive clan. You also better have that massive clan if you want to play unranked. Ranked reigns supreme and only really fun mods have a chance of populating…even then… it is tough.

Anyone remember playing COD4: Old School ruleset? Yeah, might have gotten on one of those servers in the first week. Then never again. Hardcore versus non-hardcore already splits communities. You start getting: ranked, unranked, realisitic, standard, large maps with vehicles only, infantry only, super **** realism clan with ironsight only crouch only rules beyond comprehension, 4 different mods…. Something is going to give because there are not enough players to populate them all.

So don’t go into this game thinking it will be whatever you want it to be. That is only true if you play with bots. This game will be whatever the majority of the community wants it to be. Like TF2 being mostly 32 man spam fests, or no crit, no spread, 5 cp map competition setups with little inbetween outside of the ludicrously modded.
Of course when the entire thing degenerates into 24/7 on the largest vehicle map and 24/7 on the smallest infantry map later in its lifespan the early divergent times will seem like heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kinda funny and sad that features that were considered standard for old pc games are now things that other game communities have to make petitions (i.e dedicated servers, server browser, etc) to get them.

I agree, it's sad that I actually got "excited" tonight when I read the word LAN.

This might end up being my only new game purchase this year. It's shaping up to be the only true PC game to come out in quite a while.

Hopefully some of this stuff will become standard issue in new games again.

Upvote 0
I may be in the minority here but much of what Misnomer says is true, in regards to what has happened with other games in the past, and communities being split between game types, and if you look at RO just now you see that most players have gravitated towards the 50 player or danzig 24/7 servers, whilst a lot of good servers running the most popular standard maps are lying empty,but this isn't caused by having more server options, so he's wrong to blame that, and to think the same thing will happen to HoS is more to do with the fact that he seems to have, as Buster says, a very negative attitude and thinks he knows it all.

Upvote 0
I may be in the minority here but much of what Misnomer says is true, in regards to what has happened with other games in the past, and communities being split between game types, and if you look at RO just now you see that most players have gravitated towards the 50 player or danzig 24/7 servers, whilst a lot of good servers running the most popular standard maps are lying empty,but this isn't caused by having more server options, so he's wrong to blame that, and to think the same thing will happen to HoS is more to do with the fact that he seems to have, as Buster says, a very negative attitude and thinks he knows it all.

He does have a point, but he is also assuming that HoS won't have a large player base. It will certainly be bigger than Ostfront which had a large enough player base to last for 5 years.

Upvote 0
He does have a point, but he is also assuming that HoS won't have a large player base. It will certainly be bigger than Ostfront which had a large enough player base to last for 5 years.

Agreed. The fan base for HoS should most definitely be much larger. I think a lot of it has to do with the learning curve as well. My closest buddy almost gave up on Ostront within a couple of hours. I had to explain to him that it takes a lot of practice. Once he found out the kinks, he fell in love. All it takes is that one good round sometimes :)

Upvote 0
I assume that the people who were into arranging private or public community stuff do it in DH instead of RO nowadays too, leaving RO mainly to competitive and public gaming. The BOH server (and another spanish 32 player one) has been quite busy, even if they were not 50 player servers. It is a different story in the America region though of course.

If you are a minority, you have to engage in stuff to get exactly what you want. It's not a high prize to pay for having TWI survive in the long run.

Upvote 0