• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sensible Suggestions for KF2

Faneca

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Portugal
As you all know, TripWire (namely Yoshiro) have inted in the past and now more in the past few days about Killing Floor 2, the game everybody is looking forward to (after RO HoS that is).

Not only the picture (see below) that has been officialy floating around like the one from the Twisted XMas Event but a recent thread made by Swag about the "difficulty" of Bedlam allows for the most sensible person think about KF2 being officialy in the works after RO2 gets Rising Storm released and some initial patches (if ever necessary).

So here goes my suggestions to make KF2 the best "zombie" (and I use the term loosely because KF isn't about zombies) FPS ever.

Check out the picture with 2 parts revealed (as of June 24th)

Name

I'm sure you are all wondering why I made this section to start off but the name can be a real treat for fans and to atract more fans.
I suggest making the title of the game "Harry Enfield's Killing Floor 2". This is to just have a small demonstration of the games humor, allowing medium-long time fans to chuckle and give brofists to TWI in their minds.

Graphics

You know some people care a LOT about graphics and the biggest "criticism" I've seen done on KF is about this. To silence this while also providing a stunning gameplay experience TWI should use the most recent version of Unreal 3 to maximize beauty. Older PC builds would be harmed at the cost of a more immersive experience in terms of graphical realism.

Solo Campaign, Multi-Player and Co-Op

Some of you may not know but the original KF Mod for UT2k4 (that's Unreal Tournament 2004 for you younger players) had a solo campaign in wich you played trough Westlondon, Offices, BioticsLab (then called BioLab I think), Farm and Manor, the 5 Core Maps. Since KF2 is a sequel and in no way a reboot the solo campaign of KF2 should be adapted to the storyline of the original mod, extending it into the apocalyptic world that Northern Hemisphere has become.
I suggest (and even tough it is clich

Last edited:
And as a poor excuse to re-suggest ideas that were already shot down, like this one for example.

a Machine-Gunner Perk could be usable to somewhat fill the roll the Commando has

Once again that role is not for the commado, thats for the firebug.

Hunting Bow (to somewhat fill the XBow's role with faster firing to also compensate the M14's absence)
AWSM (filling in the XBow properly but with faster ROF and similar damage but heavier)

And adding in a bow WITH the crossbow seems pointless, And like someone wants to carry a favorite weapon over from TF2.

Upvote 0
Less focus on stat grinding. That's the biggest reason why I've never played KF as much as I'd like to have. KF2, if they ever make it, should be far more casual-friendly. Right now KF is like this:

Join in the middle of a round with nothing but a puny pistol > you're screwed.
Die in the middle of a round, respawn with nothing but a puny pistol and hardly any money to buy better weapons > you're screwed.

In other words, once you die during wave 5 or later there's no way you'll be able to keep up and make it to the final wave. Instead, you'll keep dying over and over again because you only have a pistol and a knife. Unless your teammates throw you a good weapon or lots of money of course, but that hardly ever happens. And that's not just on suicidal, it also happens on Hard.

I like TWI but with KF they really focused too much on the 'hardcore' player.

Upvote 0
The highest level I have any of my perks at is 4, I think... I played a lot of KF though.
Just not much on whitelisted maps. I mostly played with my friends, either on my own maps, maps we thought looked cool, including but not limited to the retail maps.

Don't care about leveling up. I loved the mod because it had a fun-loving, relaxed community and you could spend your evenings on one of the populated servers and have fun with the crowd there.
People didn't care that much about winning either. It was mostly a good laugh when the last guy who had held out a little longer and was spectated by everyone finally bit the dust.

Now in the retail game people get pissed off at someone joining late, or people with lower perk levels playing on higher difficulties because they increase the number of monsters that are spawned in but probably won't be able to kill their share and *gasp* the team might lose! Everyone is just blindly grinding their perks. The only real interaction is when they're screaming at you for stealing their kills, standing in the way and maybe hitting a couple of invisible Stalkers that some Commandos would have liked to keep for themselves. Meh. Nowadays when you weld a door shut you get people angry at you because they can't get to the monsters fast enough to raise their perks. Unless you're welded into a room with a window where you can shoot out and decimate the horde a bit before you go out. But then people are mad because you're "exploiting"...
Used to be in the mod days that welding yourself in was considered fun and it was a cool new gameplay-mechanic to play with.:(

Not really TWI's fault, or the game's. Just a sad reality that makes me not play the game a lot anymore.

I'll play with friends, because the game is quite alright. Weapon-enemy-interaction could be cooler, the curve of crap weapons to good weapons is a bit too steep for my liking and there is too much emphasis on grinding and increasing perks, but all in all it's quite alright.

Upvote 0
Didn't really like KF at all for the following reasons:

1) Didn't like the art design, especcially not the zombie/monster design. That's purely subjective of course.

2) Thought the gameplay was extremely simple and boring. I don't want to run around on the same map for 5 rounds just to kill 95349 enemies and then in the end always the same boss. If there were at least different objectives within the map or something and more level interaction(although door welding is of course a cool feature) there would've been more diversity, but this way it was just incredibly boring to me.

3) Thought the movement system was inappropriate. Felt more like RO than a fun zombie game. Too much momentum imo and mantling/climbing would definitely be needed for a successor.

Upvote 0
Share your thoughts magnificent community!
As you wish. I was even magnificent enough to run a spell check on all your ideas I quote.

Name

I'm sure you are all wondering why I made this section to start off but the name can be a real treat for fans and to attract more fans.
I suggest making the title of the game "Harry Enfield's Killing Floor 2". This is to just have a small demonstration of the games humor, allowing medium-long time fans to chuckle and give brofists to TWI in their minds.
Tbh that's just a stupid name. If TWI is really going to go for something like that in KF2 the only acceptable answer is Kevin Clamely's Killing Floor.

Graphics

You know some people care a LOT about graphics and the biggest "criticism" I've seen done on KF is about this. To silence this while also providing a stunning gameplay experience TWI should use the most recent version of Unreal 3 to maximize beauty. Older PC builds would be harmed at the cost of a more immersive experience in terms of graphical realism.
This is pretty much a given. The UT04 engine (Unreal II) is over 6 years old. Why would TWI develop the new RO in Unreal III but not Kevin Clamely's Killing Floor?

should be adapted to the storyline of the original mod, extending it into the apocalyptic world that Northern Hemisphere has become.
While I would love to see a deeper exploration of KF's backstory Killing Floor has always been a British game. Taking it too far outside of the UK would corrupt its identity. That and if you do the hilarious stereotypes of the natives thing in say, Siberia, China (or pretty much any oriental nation), Chechnya, or hell the whole of the Middle East I can guarantee you there would be more than a few people none to pleased. To be fair though, I sincerely doubt that most people in Siberia have an internet connection.

A few plot twists such as some members of the KF (game) squad such as Corporal Lewis and Police Sargent Davin became separated from the original squad and with the help of the new group managed to get reunited forming one large super survivor group.
This is way too specific and you're really getting into fanfic territory here. A constantly fluctuating group size is just a flat out bad idea. If for 10 minutes you can 12 survivors in your group and then suddenly half of them get killed off (why? because. it's srs bzns here) that's 50% of your group that will be automatically kicked arbitrarily. "LOL MR FOSTER SUCKS SO WE JUST KILLED HIM OFF AND NOW YOU'RE KICKED BECAUSE THE SERVERS FULL". Worse yet if the server wasn't full when you had 12 survivors then # of them would have to be filled in by bots. I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on how terrible THAT would be.

More importantly KF has always been, for lack of a better word, a sandbox survival horror game. Only in the CUSTOM mission maps (which a sizeable portion of the community HATES with a fiery passion) are your forced to traverse a linear path. In all of the stock maps you are dropped in your environment and can go and do whatever you want. The only goal is to kill, and survive. This is the core of the fun, for all those triumphant stories of survival, desperate last stands, and hilarious "OH-SHI WHERE DID ALL THOSE SCRAKES COME FROM" are completely unscripted. The deeper and more involved the devs make the story, and by extension the environments the more that core sandbox/free-roaming aspect suffers.

Co-Op (I think) should have some sort of Survival Missions with Leaderboards which show the time and Waves and the overall "score" obtained from welding, healing and killing stuff as well as money given to teammates that is used by them not just horded.
The more leaderboards and stat-tracking you add the more it will be abused. Pure and simple. THAT is why there is no such thing in KF. Furthermore that would require both dev time and resources which could be put to better use and server resources for tracking said stats and transferring them to the master servers. Oh, and did I mention the cost of server upkeep that TWI would have to pay in order to hold and sort all that raw data?

KF2 is a new game, therefore, it does not mean that it MUST have the Perks and Weapons from the 1st one.
PREACH BROTHER! WE NEED FRESHNESS AND VARIETY IN OUR GAMES!

Instead of having a Commando Perk, a Machine-Gunner Perk could be usable to somewhat fill the roll the Commando has.
Instead of having rifles, how about that sexy Bren everybody (especially C_Gibby) wants? And if TWI decides to do this, balance is the key.

...Several bad puns later...

Machine-Gunner (dependent if Commando is or not implemented)

Bren Gun
M249 SAW
The Commando's role is essentially the concept of a berserker with guns. Unless the LMGs are ARs with huge mags there is no way this MG could fill the Commandant's shoes.

And to be frank that idea is just BAD. Let me explain this way:
Imagine you're playing Red Orchestra as a fascist dog with an MG42. Your job is to guard a hallway 5 meters long from the Reds. The Reds are armed only with their bayonets and a lurching gait and never even consider throwing grenades or attacking your flank and just charge you one after another endlessly. Your job is holding down the trigger until either your barrel overheats or you need to mag change. That's it.
Not only is it ridiculously OP, but it's ****ing BORING. You think all support teams are bad carving through anything that dares cross them with their aa12s? Imagine they have a 10x size mag, double fire-rate, and each pellet does ~the damage of an AK round (before perk bonus). That is exactly what you just suggested.

And of course then Rainydaykid wouldn't even play with his perk gone.

Commando

L22A1 as it is in KF (returning)
Galil ARM (filling in the AK-47, playing the rarity role since both guns are unusual in the UK)
SA80 Mk. II with the SUSAT scope (filling in the SCAR-H)
The AKMS (well, Draco pistol) fires 7.62x39mm. The Galil ARM fires 5.56x45mm. That's a pretty big difference in cartridge.

Also what exactly is this SA80 Mk. II? I've never heard of such a thing before. To be frank I simply do not have the energy to reply to your weapons suggestions, other than to say you're simply following the rule of cool without giving any thought to whether they'd be fun, or even WORK properly. Oh, and there are HUNDREDS of different pump-action shotguns, why is that M3 Super 90 of all of them is returning? Also LAW~Rocket Launcher. TWI could just as easily fix the LAW so it's useful again.

Music

Ask zYnthetic to do it. He has proven he can do kick *** music. The drum & bass BGM's from Bedlam are especially good.
I guess every cloud has a silver lining.

General Development

Get Harry Enfield directly involved in the games development. I'm sure he would love to do it after he knows that KF revolves about his large amount of money.
Make the Menu not boring and exciting and improve the server menu layout so it doesn't look outdated as it does right now in KF1.
Also, try to make each character have it's own voice.
Make the Trader return because we all love her, especially after GLaDOS showed up.
The Specimens look perfect, maybe replace the Clot with the Community's Shiver. Not much to say here except make funny trailers in which a survivor walks in to a trouser shop and gets surprised buttsecks'd by a Scrake.
Also make the FP even more intimidating.
Also, tie-ins are good. Make a small one for each game you release/distribuite TWI, even Dwarfs!? (it's a fun game btw, you should check it out).
Keep the difficulty levels but maybe add a tutorial level so people that play online for the 1st time don't get insta-killed by a group of Gorefasts.

blah blah blah, well that's just like, your opinion man.

tl;dr this thread is bad, and OP should feel bad. Now I'm going bowling, stay classy TWI.

P.S. This became way too long for me to critique all of his suggestions or even check the syntax of MY statements so feel free to spell check me or add a few points of your own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Didn't really like KF at all for the following reasons:

1) Didn't like the art design, especcially not the zombie/monster design. That's purely subjective of course.

2) Thought the gameplay was extremely simple and boring. I don't want to run around on the same map for 5 rounds just to kill 95349 enemies and then in the end always the same boss. If there were at least different objectives within the map or something and more level interaction(although door welding is of course a cool feature) there would've been more diversity, but this way it was just incredibly boring to me.

3) Thought the movement system was inappropriate. Felt more like RO than a fun zombie game. Too much momentum imo and mantling/climbing would definitely be needed for a successor.

You can't say this mate.If you slag off KF then the thought police will be along soon to explain why you are wrong.:D

Reactions: DraKon2k and Nimsky
Upvote 0