• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rifle resting, a question.

Bär

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Arkansas
Quick question guys,

I haven't found it in any of the videos or fact threads, in game will your rifle be rested when you are prone on a flat surface? i went out and tried it with both a scoped and unscoped 30-06 and the accuracy difference from a sitting rested position is small. just wondering as this has been a boon of mine for quite a long time.

-Colton Berg

Nothing has been confirmed as far as rifles go... but if you are using an MG and you go prone, you automatically go into bipod mode, which is essentially 'rested' position for MG.

In ROOST, going prone didn't automatically rest your rifle, and I wouldn't be suprised if this feature remains unchanged in HoS. It's more realistic if you have to find something to rest your weapon on while prone, since you aren't laying a rifle on flat ground to support it, it just wouldn't work.

Upvote 0
It's more realistic if you have to find something to rest your weapon on while prone, since you aren't laying a rifle on flat ground to support it, it just wouldn't work.

You can lie on a slope and point your gun at a target and it may not be steady at all due to the angle. True.

Sorry I didn't quite get it the first time, but I think if the gun were automatically accurate and rested when prone people would find way to exploit it (think, lying on corner of wall etc)

Upvote 0
wrong. as your pic shows you are resting your rifle on your arm, which is resting on the ground. :D
So its supported. not as good as resting on a brickwall, but far better than not at all.

That is true, but I just assumed he was referring to resting the end of the rifle physically on something, e.g. like a sandbag. That's what I was referring to.

Upvote 0
It's more realistic if you have to find something to rest your weapon on while prone, since you aren't laying a rifle on flat ground to support it, it just wouldn't work.

I've layed down shooting my 22. and I can just hold it up with my elbows for a sort of resting. It is possible, just not the rifle sitting right against the ground.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that's an M1 Garand which doesn't even have a box mag. So no dice with your suggestion...

For most weapons, it would be a bad idea to rest on the mag anyway, could lead to some serious feeding problems and stoppages, especially if the mag is not a perfect fit for the gun.

Though there are a few exceptions, the AK's for instance, where you can basically use the mag as a makeshift bipod i hear, but thouse are the exception, not the rule.

Upvote 0
Try qualifying with your rifle without a sandbag to rest your arm against during the July heat at Fort Sill. Within a minute or two your hand will go numb, even when you are laying on your puss pad.

I did it for ten minutes on a levee in Arkansas in 100 degree weather without becoming fatigued :) I should have mentioned the rifleman prone position is what i meant when i started the thread. in Ro1 you get about 1 minutes of steady accuracy from this position depending on level of fatigue and my question is has any information about prone/accuracy level been released?

Upvote 0
With hold-breath however, which lets us squeeze off a well aimed shot even without a well known resting position handy, it opens up a lot more posibillities, more places people could attack you from, more places you could attack them from, it'll be interesting for sure.

Holding your breath isn't the only element to sway. Your hand wobbles slightly irrespective of your breathing.

Upvote 0
In Ost the only way to stabalize your aim was via resting on cover (or a slope or whatever you could find), which was a nice and innovative feature, but it also tended to become too important for it's own good, and created a playstyle where people would gravitate twords known cover positions in the maps, making the play more predictable and "stop and go" than was disireable..

I think much of that was a result of the massively over the top standing/crouched recoil for automatic weapons in RO1. People tended to either sit tight prone/crouched behind cover resting the gun on something... or they charged point blank and sprayed from the hip. Very little in-between.

Hopefully with the more realistic recoil levels in RO2, that wont be such an issue.

Upvote 0
That is true, but I just assumed he was referring to resting the end of the rifle physically on something, e.g. like a sandbag. That's what I was referring to.

Afaik you should always rest your rifle on something soft instead of directly onto something hard. Which is why often you place for instance your arm or hand between the object you are resting on.

Upvote 0
Holding your breath isn't the only element to sway. Your hand wobbles slightly irrespective of your breathing.

True, but holding your breath is going to help you, whereas in Ost, the only thing that could help was resting the gun.

This is going to be pretty important for riflemen and especially snipers, who might not want their gun resting on a windowsill where everyone can see the barrel of their gun sticking out of the window, giving away their position.
It hopefully won't make your aim rock steady, but steady enough that we're not forced to rely on a resting position.

I think much of that was a result of the massively over the top standing/crouched recoil for automatic weapons in RO1. People tended to either sit tight prone/crouched behind cover resting the gun on something... or they charged point blank and sprayed from the hip. Very little in-between.

Hopefully with the more realistic recoil levels in RO2, that wont be such an issue.

Nah, the SMG's are just the most extreme and obvious example, hell, guns like the PPSh where practically useless without resting, you basically had to use it like an LMG, allways finding places to "deploy" it before you could get any use out of it, and it sucked (there's a good reason you saw so many PPD-40's and PPS-43's in use on Ost servers instead of the PPSh, and any smart Ruskie player would toss his SMG to the wayside and pick up an MP-40 the first chance he got, that one was atleast somewhat managable).

But it had an effect on the rifles aswell, i know that i was allways on the lookout for my next resting position in Ost..

Upvote 0
Then why not just say this is a supported position

YouTube - ‪Mosin Nagant M91/30 testing 2‬‏

That is a supported position, and that is likely the sole purpose why he's sitting like that. Notice as well that his elbow is not resting directly on his knee but slightly behind it so you do not obtain a hard on hard surface contact.

When 2 hard surfaces contact each other vibrations can easily be transmitted from one object to the other, if you have a soft surface inbetween those vibrations dampen out pretty much allowing for a more steady shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0