• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The next BIG THING.

The next BIG THING.

• Total voters
skins are the best solution, since they don't mess with balance.

And there always lots of people, who are to support their favorite developers.

I 'liked' your post and agree with you, but think about the fact that what you advocate supports TWI (which is of course good) but actually brings little of substance to the game. It's sort of like donating to them via a PayPal button on the TWI website and receiving a minor, basically irrelevant game addition in return.

I've bought all but one of the skin packs and would likely pay for any future DLC, but I just thought it worth mentioning that your philosophy seems to be quite philanthropic as opposed to suggestive of any sort of substantial DLC that will genuinely improve the game's content.

Upvote 0
I 'liked' your post and agree with you, but think about the fact that what you advocate supports TWI (which is of course good) but actually brings little of substance to the game. It's sort of like donating to them via a PayPal button on the TWI website and receiving a minor, basically irrelevant game addition in return.

I've bought all but one of the skin packs and would likely pay for any future DLC, but I just thought it worth mentioning that your philosophy seems to be quite philanthropic as opposed to suggestive of any sort of substantial DLC that will genuinely improve the game's content.

They sometimes release new content for free in updates, so these skin packs just give us a way to say thanks. :)

If you want a game where the community is split between those who can afford to buy all the useful item packs and those who can't, there are already plenty of them that you can find.

Reactions: sverek
Upvote 0
That's pretty nice post.

Another problem on weapons/items DLC. You buy gun, you die. Person who doesn't own DLC picks your gun. What so special now? Wouldn't it be just easier to release update, so everyone can buy a gun?

And as Benjamin said, splitting community, cause some people paid for content(maps, monsters, weapons etc...) and other didn't, it's nothing but milking, imo. I highly appreciate TWI work, where game development effort going toward fun of gameplay, instead of 100% marketing... *cough* CoD *cough*

Upvote 0
I vote for "more maps" ! It's probably the least risky move and the most cost-effective update possible. I'm sure there are many non-profit mappers who would be glad to see their (sometimes amazing) work going into the official map pool. A win-win game.

I really mean the official map pool, not the white-list. Otherwise, they don't make into the map rotation of most servers, and it's less encouraging for the mapping community when you rarely see their maps by browsing servers.

Upvote 0

But by now Tripwire has managed to get themselves into a position where:

1. A lot of people pay for DLC's even though they don't use them.
  2. A lot of people feel Tripwire is a great publisher because they make the gameplay changing additions for free.
I don't think you can buy that kind of PR anywhere, because it is based on integrity. We, as players, get what we payed for and keep doing so. And Tripwire still make money from KF. It is a win-win and barring a minority, everyone are happy.

Edit: On an unrelated note, one persons POS is another persons 'funny joke'. Kevo and Harris are both used by some of my clanmates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Entangler
Upvote 0
Edit: On an unrelated note, one persons POS is another persons 'funny joke'. Kevo and Harris are both used by some of my clanmates.

Adding to this, it's true that none of the characters are wholly disliked. I never thought I'd see anyone running around as Glover or Kerry the Klown (lol) but people do, and they wouldn't have it any other way!

Upvote 0
Toughts on your thoughts...

Toughts on your thoughts...

Why am I still up reading this thread at 5am?
I don't know, but since that is what I'm doing,...

1) Character packs/DLC. OK, I get the arguement that TWI uses the money people pay there to help fund their occasional tweaks, updates, and map editions to the game. Thank you to those that supported their efforts. As for me, personally, I've had the same character since my first day of play....not even sure what it is, but I'm fairly certain he has a gas mask. The point being, for me, is that it doesn't affect my game play, even the slightest bit, so why would I care? I mean, maybe the guys I'm playing with are getting bored of looking at me in the same uniform all the time, but in the grand scheme of things, the double-FPs in wave 10 will still kill us just as quick, irrespective of what we're wearing. Unless the
different outfits gave us some different capabilities....like carrying more in the Santa Suit, but running slower, or wearing the red palace guard outfit and getting a bit more of a "facebox" to hit as a sharpshooter, but the red outfit drawing more attention from the zeds. THEN it might be something I'd put some thought into. If that were the case, and you could only get them as paid DLC, then the people that paid for them would have a bit of an extra edge. They could even add the fun little extra that we could strip/swap outfits with dead squadmates until the end of the game. So while someone that paid for the DLC can start a game with something others don't have, if he's willing to die (and the team's willing to finish a wave short handed) then he could "help" outfit everyone. (I'd suggest making it such that outfits could only be grabbed prior to 50% of a wave's zombies being killed. Wouldn't be right to kill all but one, give all your weapons and cash to someone else to hold, THEN fall on your own grenade and give up your outfit to a teammate. If there were outfits/skins that gave ability bumps or special bonuses, there should be a nice, easy, quick way for someone to select what they'd like to use, I'd suggest as a quick checkbox list, like the perks selection page. In fact, put it ON the perks selction page. If you don't touch it, it stays the same.

(My only exception to all of the above is a nod to the few talented girls I've played with on here. TWI, please add at least ONE free skin that is female, as well as voice work for the shoutouts in a female voice if someone is playing a female character. So far, the girls I've played with have had microphones, so it's not been too difficult to remember that we're playing with a girl and that there are, in fact, girls that spend as much time in the dark killing zombies as us guys, but it would add a little flavor to the game if there were female vocal replies from female players in the quick-voice commands. Plus, guys being guys, seeing an actual female character WILL change team dynamics, more towards realizm, in that some guys will throw their life away in a gesture of chivalry for a female teammate where, in an identical situation with a male squadmate in jeapordy, that same male would simply say "Gee that's too bad" as their male teammate gets chomped into little-bitty bits. Not saying it's right or wrong, so please no hatemail from any feministas, I'm just calling human nature as it is.)

2) Level 7 (Level 7 Level 7 Level7). While there's a part of me that looks at my experience per perk and thinks sweet thoughts of how, for example, my door-weld alone would put me at a Level 12 Support, the balance of the game would certainly be affected, and I don't want to see it ruined.
But what if they give us a package deal and:
-add level 7, but make the required expereince more than double
(or triple or quadruple?) level 6 (so that we all don't instantly level up)
-add a new difficulty level....Hell UNDER Earth....or HELL?
(Oh, good, a BUNCH of new map achievs!)
-make play on the new difficulty LEVEL LIMITED to only level 7 and
(maybe) level 6 players
-either allow servers to restrict level 7's from playing Beginner and Normal
(and Hard?), flat out restrict them from doing so, or possibly allow a
toggle, such that below HoE, you retain level 6 abilities, and HoE or
above, you get the benefits of level 7. That way if they add new maps
you're never prevented from getting your Normal and Hard acheivements.
Seems this might make it do-able, and not too tough. All they'd need to do is scale up the beasties. Personally, I still shudder at the thought of going through some of these maps on HoE with a good squad. The new difficulty level would be, to put it mildly, challenging.

3) New Critters. Sure, add something. Heck, add a couple. But, as part of it, please add about a dozen new achievements. Some that are perk specific, some that are for all to get.
-I like the idea of something that flys.
But make it something slow, almost like a blimp. Something that hovers
and creeps closer....and blocks the heads of all the zombies behind it until
it is dealt with. Hey, here's a thought. Since it floats, let's design it on
the assumption it utilizes lighter-than-air gas to do so. (Can you picture
the flash-and-burn, ala Hindenberg, when you head-shot it? How many
critters could you take out at once? How close would it get before you
caught some of the damage or set off every pipe in the area? I'm thinking
it's essentially a floating bloat that explodes in a flaming ball of fire if hit
jussssssst right.
-Wanna really add some challenge? Picture a cross between a crawler,
and a small bloat. Something that moves a bit faster than a crawler, and
moves in a continuous string of leaps and bounds. Think short, chubby
pig that bounces like a kangaroo. Aw, heck, it's late at night. Let's just
imagine the result of BREEDING a pig and a kangaroo. It could even
rear back and kang-a-kick for damage when it gets close. Since all of
the other zeds look like a mutated human, I guess this would be some
sort of human-kangaroo or human-crawler-warthog type creature.
-I'm not sold on the BRUTE, as I've seen it. Just seems a bit too strong
and overwhelming as-is. Plus, the servers that I've seen it on usually
throw so many at you during a wave, it gets annoying. Maybe if they
sent them with the frequency of scrakes,...or even FPs. I heard one
good suggestion to just send one, at about the midpoint of all waves
over wave number 5. Just to keep everyone awake. But do us a favor
and add in some small little front-side kill switch, like blowing out a
kneecap or foot. Just something to give you an alternative to waiting
until someone can get behind it to tap it behind the hear with a HC.

4) New achievments. The more the better, as it gives us things to spend our time doing until the next maps or special events are upon us. Thinking out loud....
-Something for killing a certain number of FPs with an axe. (Yes guys, I
realize I shall then have to USE an axe. Hush.)
-Something for getting a certain number of 2-fer's (or 3-fer's). Maybe one
for any zeds (e.g. shoot 2 clots and a gorefast at once), maybe one for
hitting the same type (2 scrakes for the price of one with a bow).
-Give one up for the medics that take the worst of an FP barrage.
Over and over again. Call it the Speed Bump award.
-OK, for all the times three Level 6's on HoE get saddled with a couple of
Level 2's and a Level 0, give us an Above and Beyond acheive. GIVE
US A FLIPPING REASON NOT TO KICK A NOOB IN OVER HIS HEAD. Heck,
call it the Boyscout Award. Probably room for a bunch of them....(Help
a Level 0 Firebug through IceBreaker HoE, Help a Level 0 Sharp through
Mountain HoE, etc. It would certainly mix things up a bit with the
existing maps and squad dynamics, when people were up for a little
extra challenge.
-How about the "I played 10 waves and didn't die once" acheivement?
(And why wasn't that one there from Day 1?)
-Here's one for a friend of ours that has WAY too much talent for this
game: Could we please have a Ghandi Award, given to the character
that survives 10 waves without killing ANYTHING?
Aside from that, adding a couple new monsters should open unlimited fun opportunities for achievements, using the existing perks and weapons.

5) New Maps. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE IT HAPPEN SOON.
(Do I seriously need to say more?) I suppose if they're busy finishing
another game title, a LATE SPRING 2011 set of maps ain't gonna happen.
But how about SUMMER 2011? Maybe 3-5 new maps? I mean, don't
get me wrong, the Twisted Christmas was AWESOME, but as we all
know, Christmas only comes once a year. And while we're discussing
that,....Dear TWI, you do realize that all we want for Christmas THIS
year is Twisted 2, with a new map(s)....maybe NorthPoleSleighYard and
Macy's on Christmas Eve?....a Christmas monster addition, and some new
acheivements? Now you know. Please don't disappoint.

6) New weapons. Sure bring 'em on. Thinking of the Christmas map,
why not give the Zerker a packing tape gun? He'd have to hit the
zombie, then complete a full circle around it in order to stop it in
it's tracks. Tape could disolve or tear apart in a time frame scaled
in a manner similar to how fast it takes each zombie to claw through
a welded door. Aside from that, how about giving the Demo guy
some THROWABLE proximatey mines? Or moltov cocktails for the FB?
One new weapon per class would be nice....how about a propane
proximatey device for the FB's to leave laying around? Or a harpoon
gun for the sharp? It could kill an FP in one shot, but weight 10 and
carry, say, 2 harpoons.

7) Here's a though: add the ability to LIE DOWN FLAT. Sure, if you're
down there on the ground and people don't clear the zeds fast, your
character's life won't be worth a plug nickel, but it would allow for
a different set of squad play options, playing in closer, using cover
in different ways. You could even ADD some new cover features
or tweak the topography and clutter on existing maps. Maybe
somebody can suggest a good reason why a perfectly sane
zombiehunter with a full load of ammo would lay on a floor.....maybe
90% resistance to long range attacks? 100%

8) New Class. I've got one. For all the times you've asked a teammate to carry an extra something for you. Give us a MULE. His carry weight is 35, and his speed is on the slow to average side. He can fire any weapon, but has no outstanding talent with any of them.....he can even carry extra ARMOR....say 3 extra sets? Give armor a weight of 10. That would let him be an armor hauler, and allow enough room for him to carry a pistol. It would reduce the teams firepower, but increase the weapons load-out for those that are there, plus it would let one or two re-armor when it really was needed.

9) How about taking a couple of the custom maps, and balancing/updating them for use as official maps? There's some good stuff out there that people have put together, why not take advantage of it, TWI, even if it means saying Thank you to the map designers in some way? Heck, I saw someone offer to pay $15 for a DLC weapons pack. Keep the weapons free and let me pay $5 per new map. For all the hours I'd get out of each new map, please, tell me where to send my dosh, and it's on the way. Maps I'd love to see get "normalized", inclusive of being added to the Map Achievements lists (and if this is part of a thread elsewhere, I do apologize,....but get off my back, I'm on a roll here):

-Gas Station, Racoon Airport, Shopping Mall, Brewery, Death Sands, the Japanese Train Station (NakatorI?), Elementary School, MoisEisely

I'll even be make it easy on you TWI, and suggest "normalizing":
-Farm Day or Snow, Mountain Night, Wyre Snow or Night
(my gosh that one would suck, wouldn't it?), and DeathSands Night

10) This, to me, might be the biggest and best answer of all, so I think I'll go with this as the WHAT SHOULD THEY DO NEXT. Hey, TWI, you've got all these maps that are already official....why not sit back for a couple months, and figure out a way to connect them, Mission/Story style? In solo mode you could stop/pause/save at various points. In teamplay mode, you'd get credit for reaching "stages",...and you could go away and come back in at any point up to and including (but not past) any stage you had reached. Keep it simple:
-You'd have a specific order to get through the maps
-As part of the mission, each map would be used once
-In each map, players could find/capture/accumulate something (a "token")
(and that something would have WEIGHT, such that the person carrying
that something would have to drop or swap a weapon. And, just like
with any other weapon you carry, if the guy carrying the group's token(s)
dies, they have to go back and get a new one.
-I could see a token having to be burned out of a wall by a FB....sort of
like the vault door on Aperature, but not NEARLY that long. Or maybe so.
-Maybe one needs to be shot off a ledge on a ceiling by a sharpshooter.
-Maybe some are hidden in lockers, or they randomly spawn in a map
-The tokens should have meaning as part of the mission...maybe in Biotics
they would need to find 6 antidote vials before the end of each wave, or
before all the waves are over. On Mountain, they could need to find
a certain number of rock-climbing pitons. Maybe the last zombie on each
wave drops a token.
-Again, they have weight, so planning would be required to carry them all.
-You could bring the tokens to the trader for validation. Get enough
before the end of the game (e.g killing The Pat), and you get an
achievement (that is required to advance to the next mission map).
-Give us a little story/backstory. Something along the lines of "Oh my god
here come the zombies hurry gotta get away how did this happen don't
stop running no it's not safe there keep moving now what now where go
go go" and on and on, etc etc.
-Get through each map stage/mission, collect all the right tokens, and
they could add up to something to help you win, whether that means
getting to "safety" (a High Mountain Valley or a polar station) or finding
an antidote that could be spread around the world. (Might mean a new
map or two to tie it all together,....but if you do it right, you could
release the mission in stages, with the early stages utilizing the existing
maps, and by the time you get through them, you could have a couple
new maps made up to wrap up the story.

OK. The sun is rising here. If you've read this all, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with nothing better to do. *smiles* If you like it, feel free to let me know, post here with thoughts or suggestions, or ask for where to send monetary approval (e.g. TIPS!). If you don't like what you've read, and are about to issue a flaming, steaming, I HATE YOU kind of note,....well, heck, back at ya' buddy, times two.

Hopefully you feel at least some part of this was worth your time to read.
Thanks
:)

Upvote 0
Female Characters - I've come across a number of female players who would love this.

Also probably a few community maps added to the official maps (Yoshiro started a thread asking for which people like the best).

Might also see levels 7+ that don't add any bonuses, just extra gold stars.

Alternate Difficulty/Game Types : ie. instead of tougher faster zeds, how just an increase in the number of zeds resulting in each wave being a massive horde.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Timur, will do!
Never before has a post been more in need of a tl;dr
I couldn't even quote your original it was so long.
Also your thoughts seemed really disjointed, making it super confusing to try to follow where you were going with your ideas. I recommend no posts longer than the Illiad when it's 5am.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i want a nothing perk, no bonuses, no benefits, no nothing, completely free to do whatever they want, why you may ask? because sometimes you just want to challenge yourself to be as good as you can be without needing any benefit at all.
That's a good idea. Or even better : If you reach perk a certain perk level, you should be able chose to play with any lower level. The first reason should be the challenge. The second would be the social aspect : If you want to play with friends who haven't been here for long, you might get bored if you have to play on normal difficulty with a perk level that automatically turns you into a turret in the server. It would be nicer if you could (I don't say "should", cool down) play a good game with anybody.

Upvote 0