• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

300th post

300th post

faceg.gif

Like I said, I'm going to love this thread!

Upvote 0
You know, years ago I used to be a fan of Norton and had used Norton Systemworks on my computer. Eventually I opted for free and easy to use options (AVG, CCleaner, etc etc) that weren't resource hogs on the computer and I have been very happy.

But in those past five years since I stopped using it on my computer, I have been able to use the last Symantec Recovery Disk I kept and repair three friends' computers and my son's whose hard drives wouldn't start.

Go Figure... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You know, years ago I used to be a fan of Norton and had used Norton Systemworks on my computer. Eventually I opted for free and easy to use options (AVG, CCleaner, etc etc) that weren't resource hogs on the computer and I have been very happy.

But in those past five years since I stopped using it on my computer, I have been able to use the last Symantec Recovery Disk I kept and repair three friends' computers and my son's whose hard drives wouldn't start.

Go Figure... :rolleyes:
Long but true story about Norton (prior to selling out to Symantec).

Way back in the 80's Norton had utilities that I used with DOS. He then came out with his SpeedDisk disk defragmenter. I can't remember the version, but there was a time with Norton released a major update with a 'suite' of programs.

Remember, this was before the "internet". Some may remember the bullentin board host called Compuserve. Norton had a bulletin board there (the precursor to modern day forum software). Upon announcement of the upgrade, the avant guard computer techies went to the ftp site and installed the update. But alas! The new version of SpeedDisk trashed hard drives!

While others were frantically leaving messages on the BBS, I found the phone number to Norton's home office and called. It was in California somewhere. It was a Friday and I could hear what sounded like an office party going on in the background. Biff answered the phone. (Honestly, that was his name.) I knew it was going to be downhill from here.....Long story short, they pulled the files within hours.

Then later, Norton lost a lot of their computers (iirc it was a theft). Many of the backups they'd made with Norton's Backup program were bad and data could not be recovered. It was at this point, I gave up on Norton. He sold soon after to Symantec. (But to be fair, it was a media problem and not a software problem. Always have multiple backups on different media).

Upvote 0
Norton made some really good software but messed up bad somewhere along the line in the big IT crash... Norton Commander was the precursor of to the "Commander" type of file managers (like Total Commander). Norton Utilities was another I used a lot, as well as Ghost, which I still use for backups. Their AV/Security stuff has always sucked though, bloated and paranoid to the extreme.

On another note, I took a two hour cycling trip today, not done that in a while so took it slow, it was nice. I really need to get fitter, too much sitting on my ***...

Upvote 0