• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Voice Chat Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

howzcat

Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2011
been lurking around, now decided to make my first post :)

My idea is pretty simple (i guess) and i believe it would add a lot of immersion for multiplayer rohos..

You guys know Mumble? it's a voice communication program, which uses positional audio.

"How does the positional sound work?

Your position ingame is transmitted along with every audio packet, and Mumble uses standard DirectSound 3D to position the audio on the receiver side. Only games which have been adjusted to be used with mumble, or for which a plug-in has been written get positional audio. All other games will work as well, you just will not get 3D sound."

1) So, no more barking orders from 200 metres away. You have to be physically near your teammates for them to hear you.

2) Your enemies can also hear you, if they're near enough, and your relative position will be given away!

IMO, the inclusion of these features would make the game so much better, and they're not eye-candy stuff...they have gameplay implications!

second part: to emulate a more "real" life situation (imagine you're fighting in a building and hearing the tactics behind discussed by 2 german soldiers..) , the russian soldiers wouldn't know how to speak german, and vice versa (i guess lol) you could have a couple of predefined sentences that get played to enemies when they're in earshot (much like tf2 does).

This has sorta been discussed before, and Ramn seems to have said it won't be in afaik.
I'd definitely be for it though

sorry for reposting then..haven't seen the post where it was discussed :( and the news that it won't make it to the game is..sad :( lol

it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement though, especially working with someone from mumble. it could even become an industry standard..

Upvote 0
The reasoning behind not including it is that players could just use teamspeak, skype or whatever program they chose and have perfect communication anyway, which would give them an unfair advantage.

Bogus reason, if you ask me, because for immersion's sake alone it would be worth implementing. Not to mention for realism's sake.
If people want to circumvent it with a 3rd party program then, fine. Whatever. Can't be helped. But it would be really nice for those of us who don't just play to win.

Reactions: Zetsumei and Floyd
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.