• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Good Tactics

Tyler918

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
I'm sure by now you guys know that effective teamwork and strategey are good to beat the opposition, but consider this:

Many of the effective units in WWII were deloyed in threes. Threes are more flexible, easier to reinforce, and in a better tactical position than the ol' "square" divisions of World War I. For instance, lets say tactically you are trying to attack. Well what are you going to do? Depending on the situation I would most likely use one fireteam/machine gun team to supress fire, than two assault teams attack simontaneously from the Left and Right. OR, lets say i was defending two forward positions, with the third team far in back, and one of the forward teams get wiped out, i could bring up the third team up to their place and let them hold till the others respawn. In a four unit scenario the two reserve units would let the forward ones get wiped out due to their fear of getting flanked and not being as dug in.
You like?

For instance, lets say tactically you are trying to attack. Well what are you going to do? Depending on the situation I would most likely use one fireteam/machine gun team to supress fire, than two assault teams attack simontaneously from the Left and Right.

I always see the ability to focus your forces at one point as the main advantage for the attacker. While the defender have to split up their forces in order to cover up all directions you can simply attack with all your forces from one direction.

Upvote 0
Thats a good point, in RO2 we will probably use 3 10 man squads, plus the commander and sniper. I myself would want to have 2 rifle squads with MG's, then a squad consisting entirely of assault troopers.

However, until RO2 comes out we don't know the exact details of the maps, tactics will have to be flexible, say for example defending the grain elevator, we may wish to have a bunch of small teams in all different parts of the building, whereas on a large tank only map, we may want 2 large tank formations to form a pincer movement.

Upvote 0
Yes but then the defenders-if they weren't retarded-would flank you from both sides

If you attack from both sides your forces will be evenly matched and the enemy will have the upper hand since they have cover all the time while you have to advance. Made a sketch how I believe you meant and how I meant.
4d88c4e515899_2.png

4d88c4d4ef41c_1.png

Upvote 0

The problem with that tactic is blue-on-blue. Consider the final assault, the MG will not be able to fire at all, and the two assault teams will be firing towards each other.

Pincer moves are not usually used to assault a position but to cut it off. You flank both sides to get behind the enemy and cut off their line of withdrawal. You can then assault the position from the rear which is usually less well defended, or if the enemy tries to withdraw in order not to get cut off, they have to leave their prepared positions and you can ambush them.

Upvote 0
Well I don't know how the German and Russian armies operated in WWII but according to modern US army tactics a target would be first engaged by a support element that usually would contain the MGs. Then a second assaulting element would flank from one direction. When the assaulting element closes in on the target, the leader of the assault would signal the support to "shift fire" which means to aim towards the side of the objective farthest from the assault. Then when the assault reaches the objective the signal is given to "lift fire" which means to literally lift the fire and shoot above the objective. This prevents blue on blue casualties while still suppressing the enemy.

Alternatively frontal assaults are used where all elements engage the enemy in a single line. Then once fire superiority is achieved, one element at a time bounds towards the objective while the rest lay down suppressive fire.

Upvote 0