• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Battlefield Bad Company 2" Style Sound Design

you still haven't said what you mean by the sound design of BC.
I meant that if you hadn't told me that the sound was coming from BC i wouldn't be able to tell.
Maybe you mean somthing else but from the videos you've posted i would say the call of duty and medal of homour games i've played all sounded pretty much like BC.

I do like the idea of some of the stuff that you people have said are in BC like the sound changing while inside or going a bit deaf after a large explosion.

If though you just mean having background explosions and yelling and stuff, I would be rather against that (at least not in engine) as having a perfectly quiet map can make a match much better where you know that if you hear a shot that some-one is actually shooting. The original RO had background noise on some maps though iirc so it'd probably still be an option.
Tripwire's main focus on the game is to be realisitc, trying to capture a moment of the Eastern Front of WW2, I seriously doubt that the Battle of Stalingrad and many other battles that took place was quiet...

Upvote 0
grr this forum keeps refreshing my page when I start typing a page.

This is a very compressed version of what I just typed out *mini rage*.

Bfbc2 is designed to be an overload of stimulus, this is great if you play for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. If you regularly play more you will get tired of the game. The sounds are a large part of this. I want ROHOS to be a game I can play for twelve hours straight and only stop to drink vodka, or sleep in my foxhole while waiting for the fascists to return, not take a break because the game has given me stimulus overload and become boring.

Reactions: tofupunk
Upvote 0
the sound design in battlefield emphasizes grandiosity and reflects the exaggerations you might expect from a game equivalent of a ****ty action movie. the sound design for a realistic game like ro2 should reflect the sporadic nature of gun fire and explosions in combat ambiance.

Upvote 0
grr this forum keeps refreshing my page when I start typing a page.

This is a very compressed version of what I just typed out *mini rage*.

Bfbc2 is designed to be an overload of stimulus, this is great if you play for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. If you regularly play more you will get tired of the game. The sounds are a large part of this. I want ROHOS to be a game I can play for twelve hours straight and only stop to drink vodka, or sleep in my foxhole while waiting for the fascists to return, not take a break because the game has given me stimulus overload and become boring.

yup. The lack of stimulus actually generates tension and makes those occasions when something does happen incredibly intense, leading to a better experience overall

but I wouldn't be too worried about the sound, theyll do a good job, they're recording the sounds of the actual weapons firing.

Upvote 0
yup. The lack of stimulus actually generates tension and makes those occasions when something does happen incredibly intense, leading to a better experience overall

but I wouldn't be too worried about the sound, theyll do a good job, they're recording the sounds of the actual weapons firing.

I'll add to this, that playing ARMA and hearing things like birds chirping while waiting to get into a firefight, adds much more immersion and tension then repeated 'cool' explosions..

(its that beautiful contrast thing)

I really dont worry too much about this game, an amazing job was done on the first game in so many ways ( including sound )

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0

except for the ptrs, because that broke on the day and they had to use that finnish at rifle :p

Upvote 0
If any of you all played the game, you all should know what I'm talking about, if TripWire takes this into any consideration it would be a good and realistic feature for Heroes of Stalingrad...
i understand what you mean, Badcompany2 got me to play for 4 reasons, Realistic Sounds (Reverb,Bass,actual player made battlenoise,ill tell a story at the end of the post), M1911, M1 Garand ,Thomson.
~the sounds of that game were fantastic,the reason being, you cna plug your stereo in and shake the house with real battle, planes bombs grenades going off ever head, makes you flinch or duck in your chair when a shell goes off near your ehad,or using a rifle in a room makign your ears ring in reallife cause shooting inside a closed room is a bad idea and is loud,
~~story~~ in Battlefield 1943, the game has no 'Battle Ambiance' no plane rumbling,tank growling , and pop shots PREMADE, each shot you hear is A REAL SHOT FROM ANOTHER PLAYER.i tried joining a game the other day and it thru me in a room bymyself, i started walking around exploreing,and i stoped and noticed somthing...their was wind...you cena hear the waves...a distant seagle ...all of which ive never heard before due to the noise of the fight.
~cont~
with tanks in this game heavy caliber rifles bolt actions sub machine guns you name it. with that sound, where in that map they showed at Pax that huge field one tahts in the city, where the map is nothing but silence as you spawn into battle,as you run to you the wall to take cover its erie quiet...then you hear a loud WOOOSHHHHH go right by your head making you duck in your chair as you play the game,when your friends ask why you did it,you can say " a german tank just shot at me and barely missed... ", with normal gun sounds their not bad.but having alot of Bass and Reverb to make it seem like your actually shooting the gun,its really nice. PLUS i would NOT MIND hearing a MG42 or MG34 go off >:3

Upvote 0
most games took real gun sounds,but having it to where their high pitched and obnoxious would get quite aggruvating...

Well, what they have said is that they are recording the sounds of the weapons, then upping the bass a bit to simulate the "feeling" of the shot. So you will get the full range of sound, the high pitched sound as well as the lower bass sound.

Upvote 0
Well, what they have said is that they are recording the sounds of the weapons, then upping the bass a bit to simulate the "feeling" of the shot. So you will get the full range of sound, the high pitched sound as well as the lower bass sound.

Not too much bass then hopefully, because too much bass makes it sound like you're shooting rubber bullets. Example: Ostfront's StG 44. RO:CA's StG 44 sounded much better.

Upvote 0
7 words....

OLD SCHOOL MEDAL OF HONOR SOUND SYSTEM!!!!!

like moh aireborne was a great sound. the sound changed when you leaned to one side! it sounded different in fromt, to teh side, fireing, behind the shooter ETC.

even dowm the range. the thing is a nice crack will not soudn the same at range.

BOOM to crack to pop to snap to ETC. i cnat explane the sound, but i knwo the difference. out hunting, you cna tell how far your buddys are from the sound of their rifles...and the ammount of tiem you have before the deer runs over the hill!

in bad co2, its either clsoe, or an ****y echo. bad co2 is not realistic at all.

even the explosion sounds at distance jsut dont sound right. explosions are mainly concussion...so you should feel the sound (BASS BOOST!!!!!) more then hear it. same with rifles at close range, its mroe of an impact the na sound!

when i fired a 12 guage for the first time, it about blew my hat off. especally if your standing to the side.

thsi would be hard to reporduce, unless you gave everyone a free sub-woofer with every copy of ro2 (MAKE IT TRUE!!!), but just using high and low pass filters you should be able to get clsoe!

Upvote 0
I think I know what you mean. If not, correct me please.

BFBC2 dont have the sharp, (what I call "white-noise") sounds wich some weapons such as the Kar98k, MP40/41, G43 and the PPsh have in RO:HOS have. Smooth sound'ers are: PPs43, STG44, SVT40 and PPD40.

Take the AK47 in the BFBC2: Vietnam video for example, it has a very low and "heavy" sounds whilt in real life it would have been alot sharper. And I do prefer the low sound apart from the high sound.

Ofcourse it differs from weapon to weapon, such as video quality and others but Ill give you an example of what I mean.

High/sharp sound:

YouTube - Bump Fire AK-47 40RD. MAG.

Low/smooth sound:

YouTube - Carl Gustav Swedish K in 9mm

Also, I do agree to the soldiers screaming in combat liek in Call of Duty: World at War and Battlefield Bad Company 2. It gives the game more... realism? Anyways, it adds very much to the gameplay than just running around shooting without anyone saying anything apart from the occational voice menu comment such as "Los los los!" or "Granataaaaaaah!".

Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
kinda a mixture of both. i cant watch the videos right now...but i know waht you mean.

there is a cuncussion you cna feel in your shest...liek a sub woofer right after the round fires. and the sharp sound is in there also.

however, at clsoe range teh sound is going to be a nice sharp CRACK mixed with a BANG.

and longer ranges becaseu of the multi-echo its mroe of a lower sound...but not bass-y at all. it still mostly trebble....in BAD CO 2, the long range was mostly bass i think.

hopefully ROHOS wil lgo to teh range and plae mics at 0/10/50/100/200/..../1000 yards! liek old moh did.

this way its realistic as possilbe....beasue you cant get any more realistic then actually shootign the guns at the range. jsut dont put the wimp on the SMG/MG's so the recoil is dumb!

Upvote 0
yup....ever stand 6 inches from a .22 when your 6 year old cuz almsot blows your hand/head off?

even that little 22 put some un-burnt power in my eyes and blew out my ears.

ever stand 6 icnhes away from a 7mm MAG when your cuz (different cuz) drops a deer at 700 yards.....NOW THAT SUCKS!

ever sit in a truck when your cuz (2nd cuz) shoots a hole in your truck....in the middle of town....

its realyl loud...and insted of band i heard BUR-WOMP-RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! and a nice kick in the chest..probly from my heart exploding from teh adrellin!

that was onyl a 30-30! luckly we were all good...every time!

Reactions: ductape3
Upvote 0