• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suppression HeartBeat getting anoying?

Tenko

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
as the one head guy demonstrating the game at a PaX convention was showing,each time your suppressed your heart starts beating,then if anohter bullet comes by it happens again.and again . and again.and if your like me and love the LMGs that would get anoying to those i shoot and miss..
~my thought was,add a 50/50 chance of 50% being heart beat and another 50% for your guy to start breathing really hard,or panting,
~~other thought, why not when your suppressed your guy pants or breaths hard? or mix the heart beat with the panting,i get that experiance playing paintball,running up at a wall as your getting shot at you slam into the wall heart pounding and breathing your head off cause your working so hard to move.just a idea.

I was somewhat disturbed by how quickly the surpression effect came and went. But to be the broken record, alot of this stuff is still in development so it is far from final.

I'd definitely agree that the surpression sound / time effects need some changeing, it should accumulate and dissipate at a slower rate, the sound of the heartbeat should be quieter and have a more audible breathing. In a realistic sense, how damned hard does your heart have to be beating for you to hear it beating as loud as the pax video.

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
while playing paintball(yes i refer to it cause its pretty close to the real thing cause paintballs leave a mark and hurt bad,and one having the RPM of a MG42 and its 10 feet away is scary stuff), i hear my breath more than my heart when im running,but when i stop running i hear my heart as if their was abunch of speakers in my ears.
~new idea,
While Moving you hear your guy panting,breathing loudly
While Recovering From Moviing you hear your guys heartbeat with the faint sound of your guy taking deep breaths,
While Crouching/Laying/standing still, hear your heartbeat how it is now,
go a couple runs around the building then record the sounds of the person weezing and panting and theirs your sounds lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the heartbeat instead of breathing heavily for suppression cause that means you will be able to notice the difference between being low on stamina and being suppressed.

You hear a heartbeat = You are being suppressed
You hear heavy breathing = You are running out of stamina
And both combined of course

This means I can remove those annoying bars from my HUD but still not really lose the information they give.

Upvote 0
How can they have "****ed up the whole suppression system"? It didn't exist in the first place to be ****ed up.

So you disagree with the way they've done it there's no reason to be an asshat about it. It's not even like you could reasonably judge the quality of the work in progress (as you state) through the mic on the cam...

Last edited:
Reactions: AgresywnySpawacz
Upvote 0
How can they have "****ed up the whole suppression system"? It didn't exist in the first place to be ****ed up.

Didn't exist? So how would you call that useless bar on HUD and CoD-like annoying heartbeat?

So you disagree with the way they've done it there's no reason to be an asshat about it.

Oh, I'm terribly sorry that I have offended the great, glorious TWI and you.
"IMHO TWI ****ed up whole suppression system." now I fixed it for you.

It's not even like you could reasonably judge the quality of the work in progress (as you state) through the mic on the cam...

Even if video's quality isn't that high, it shows me how it looks and sounds, so yes I CAN reasonably judge.

ROHOS isn't perfect, neither TWI is, I just comment what they didn't make so good. As I said earlier, they have alot of time to make the game better and more enjoyable.

Chill out fanboy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I remember right it has been stated that those bars are going away from the HUD and hearing your own heartbeat is perfectly normal and realistic.
Of course it's realistic, but ingame it sounds kinda stupid

"**** it up" implies it was good once, and they ruined it. They've designed it from the ground up to be like that.
Maybe you are right, but I meant that they didn't make it as good as expected (just look at DH - they've made great job there :) ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some light breathing and heartbeat effects are OK, but they should not be used FOR the indication of suppression/stamina. Only as a side-effect.

I'd rather have more visual effects like a pulsating blurryness that would match the soldier's heartbeat, or more sensitive aiming with blurry tunnel vision, than some audio effects that will get annoying seconds after we first hear them.

Upvote 0
Sometimes the heart and breathing effect can get annoying. Perhaps an option to turn all that off? (audio-wise)

Or atleast turn it down a bit.

My only worry with the current suppression system, is that from the videos so far it looks like being suppressed is a very common occurrance. I don't want to play the entire match with the screen desaturated and a deafening heartbeat in my ears. I love the idea, it seems like a good alternative to blinding the player, just make sure that we don't spend the entire match suppressed.

Upvote 0
Some light breathing and heartbeat effects are OK, but they should not be used FOR the indication of suppression/stamina. Only as a side-effect.

I'd rather have more visual effects like a pulsating blurryness that would match the soldier's heartbeat, or more sensitive aiming with blurry tunnel vision, than some audio effects that will get annoying seconds after we first hear them.

Agree, visual effects are the way to go. Pulsating blurryness sounds interesting. Also, it would add to the purpose of suppression, inability to effectively engage the enemy.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
when i paly paintball....i get teh panting...ONLY when im runnign arround.

but the heatbeat is in moth not movvign and beign shot at...and fixed and being shot at!

and when teh fireing stoped...becaue i can hear it in my eares, i cant hear suttle sounds, like foot steps on grass, for a while.

this should be modeled by a lowering of hte sounds, jsut liek an explosion.

and the speed of the beat should increase as more lead flys by. a single rifle shot might scare me a bit, a closer single shot more, but 50000000 rounds from a mg42 will give my a heart attack!

Upvote 0
ehh calm down you two. as Ive said before we are not sure if the video being released is from 'relaxed' or normal mode. The whole gamey loud heartbeat could be WIP, or just relaxed mode.

I think its important to remember the game is still under contruciton. If you want a better game then make a constructive remark. TWI devs have stated before that the first thing they look for in a forum post they will pay attention too is a good attitude, and someones being respectfull. You may both have valid points, but dredging up the asshole in yourself to state those ideas is a surefire way to make sure they wont be heard.
The development/community relation has in the past turned out lots of good results and will continue to do so, but it takes a wee bit of effort from both sides...

It's stuff like this that makes me slowly, and much to my dismay, agree with John Gibsons decision that the beta would be postponed because too many people make final decisions from alpha and beta quality artwork when the point is to determine ballance.

Back on topic as I've got some keyboard time to kill.

I'd like to see the difference between the cumulative surpression and immediate surpression more drawn out. When munitions land or explode near you there should be an immediate spike of say 3 units of surpression, this would quickly dissapate away, at the same time adding one unit of surpression to the cumulative surpression which lasts much longer. Say the dissapation times would be one unit of immediate surpression every five seconds, and one unit of cumulative surpression every 20 seconds. As a player gains in levels and experience their immediate surpression would decrease a bit, but the cumulative and long lasting effects would only change marginally or not at all.
With the immediate surpression scale going from zero to one hundred, cumulative being zero to five hundred.
The more surpressed a player is, the less extra surpression effects them ( IF a MG 42 is firing 3 inches above your head, you dont care about the guy with the mp40 ) making it harder to max out a players surpression values.
Also certain actions can reduce surpression at an excelerated rate. Heroes in the vicinity, other teammates in the vicinity, firing back on your attackers, killing attackers who have dealt large ammounts of surpression to your group ( shooting a sniper / machinegunner ), or just shotting back and dealing surpression to the enemy. Note that many of these actions that decrease surpression should act in an opposite way to the idea of immediate surpression. They should take out a larger chunk, call it immediate un-surpression, which should then decay into a smaller decrease in the cumulative surpression. So the players could take out the machinegun / riflemen shooting at them, have their "aww yeah" moment, and later realize "wow sh*t that was close, almost died back there"

The effects of immediate surpression at 100 would be roughly two to three times worse then the effects of cumulative surpression at 500.
Immediate at 100 is the player having trouble moving, somewhat blurred visison, representative of multiple close grenade explosions, mortar or artiellery fire. cumulative surpression at 500 is the player breathing heavily, having reduced aim, perhaps lower stamina.

I will also add ( although this is more ballance related ) that the timing of the surpression from the current videos seems very short, as if you can be ****ting your pants at one moment, and be calm and collected thirty seconds later.

Upvote 0