• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Infiltration [Unreal Tournament 1999]

I wish they'd make a new INF with UDK and release it as a standalone game.

Sadly that won't happen, the team split up years ago, right after the release of v2.9, and all the latest stuff to be released for INF is community made, not actually by the Sentry-Studios team (though a couple of it's members, like Beppo, are still around, and he's made a fair few of the mutators in use now, but it's still technically "unofficial" stuff, the mod itself won't be seeing any new versions).

It's a damned shame, but from what i've heard, i can understand why they chose to part ways.

Upvote 0
Sadly that won't happen, the team split up years ago, right after the release of v2.9, and all the latest stuff to be released for INF is community made, not actually by the Sentry-Studios team (though a couple of it's members, like Beppo, are still around, and he's made a fair few of the mutators in use now, but it's still technically "unofficial" stuff, the mod itself won't be seeing any new versions).

It's a damned shame, but from what i've heard, i can understand why they chose to part ways.

RO2 mod anyone? Many of the mechanics would already be ingame including the Iron sight free aim. What would that leave? Weapons, Player models, Inf Loadout/attatchment system, and gametypes. I'm not saying it would be easy but not out of reach either, RO2 would provide a good frame to build from.

Edit: Sorry for late map downloads, was unable to load TWI forums last night and all day today. Adding more maps when I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2 mod anyone? Many of the mechanics would already be ingame including the Iron sight free aim. What would that leave? Weapons, Player models, Inf Loadout/attatchment system, and gametypes. I'm not saying it would be easy but not out of reach either, RO2 would provide a good frame to build from.

Edit: Sorry for late map downloads, was unable to load TWI forums last night and all day today. Adding more maps when I can.

It would, RO2 has a lot of the stuff needed allready, the hardest part would be the attachment system, which is probably the most complicated part of INF as it is.

Problem is, though, even mods are interlectual propperty, and you can't just assemble a new team to continue work on it, it would basically be theft.

The only way this could happen, is if we could get a guy like Beppo interested in making it, and assembling a new team to do so (if he can, he was not Project-lead, Warren was), then it could definately become a reality.
Beppo was the lead-coder, he probably made more than half the stuff that made INF what it was, and he's one of the few Sentry guys who never really stopped working on INF, and he has helped the RO modding scene on several occations aswell, so i'd say he's the go-to guy.

Otherwise, someone would have to make a knock-off mod, or "the spiritual successor to INF" if you will under a new name, but that woulden't really be the same..

Upvote 0
This is an attempt to simplify installation of Infiltration mod so even average folks can try it easily in its all glory.

While you are downloading watch a video about some realism features Infiltration has to offer:

YouTube - Infiltration mod (Unreal Tournament 1999) features

Infiltration easy install guide with up-to-date files, graphic improvements and working server browser(updated 2-May-2011):

Whats updated in this version?
- added second features video (interlinked with first video above)
- changed line under IV. Additional info step 3. which talks about fixed server browser (thanks to soultaker007) - just redownload my INF compilation
- added additional steps under IV. Additional info about claymores, door charges and parachute grenade ammo
- added info on how to bind custom-features like weapon deploy, nightvision, etc. (located under II. Configuring)

I. Downloading & Installing (95% of the process)
Note: All installing files are to be directed to Unreal Tournament folder (for example C:\Unreal Tournament)
Note 2: This is a complete guide so you don't need anything else outside the guide.

1. Install UT99 but DONT patch it
2. Download and install 2.9 Community Edition full (mirror by soultaker007)(1.2gb) - when asked apply UT99 patch from there, skip OpenAL installation, use "Complete install" option
3. Download and install Psytex 1.2 Full (mirror by soultaker007) (133mb) - overwrite files when asked during installation
4. Download my INF compilation (link by soultaker007) (30mb) and extract it to UT99 folder (overwrite all when asked)
5. Download and install OpenAL installer (mirror by soultaker007) (0,5mb)

Thats it. Most people can go and play right away but those who want to improve gaming experience keep reading.

II. Configuring
1. Decide to use Bloom or no Bloom effect: Go to UT99 folder and run Bloom_ON.bat to have bloom turned on, and Bloom_OFF.bat to disable bloom. This needs to be done only once but you can alternate between the two.
2. Setting keys for server-based custom features
Open console and type in:
...1. "set input x mutate banddobandage" - Bandage wounds
...2. "set input x nvision" - Use nightvision scope(requires night vision in inventory)
...3. "set input x mutate mutdodeploy" - While in iron sight mode deploy weapon on box or wall
...4. "set input x mutate reportcontact" - Say "Contact" with view direction

where x is any key you want to use. Type in without "".

Note: These binds are usable on most servers but not all servers have all functions.
Note 2: You have to type in these commands only once except if you want to change the key.

III. Running Infiltration
There are 2 ways:
1. Infiltration_Fast_CPU.bat in the UT99 folder - this one should help if your game runs too fast
OR
2. Start Menu - Programs - SentryStudios - Infiltration - Play Infiltration -no quick menu This is just link to normal Infiltration.exe. DO NOT run "Play Infiltration" icon from desktop as there is a chance you can mess up pre-configured ini files.
Note: When running for the first time you can configure everything ingame except the renderer device in video options, it is already preconfigured to use DX9

IV. Additional info
1. This has been tested only on Windows XP SP3 so far, but there is no reason that it should not work on Vista or Seven.
2. Loadouts provided are updated default ones. However, infiltration has MUCH more weapons, gadgets and attachments that you need to add to your loadouts manually.
3. Ingame there is working server browser but 2 servers that are not picked up by it are available in the favorites. To browse for servers go to The Network - Server Browser - Infiltration all (you might have to wait a couple of seconds on refreshing the servers).
4. Since this package is using custom graphics improvement, ALT+TAB can lead to crashes. To prevent this, simply press ALT+Enter to go into window mode and than you can ALT+TAB safely.
5. Features like back-up iron sights on scopes or deployable bipods(m60) are activated mostly by holding RMB and pressing Activate attachment key.
6. In Loadout menu there are things like claymore mines and door charges which can be picked up/activated using tapping or holding Use key - to set a tripwire you have to use knife on the claymore(not sure anymore)
7. You may come across special ammo used for grenade launchers(parachute nades, etc.) but they are disabled on servers since they are too buggy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's amazing to see just how incredibly innovative this game was. I mean we're a full 12 years later and not even the most hard core infantry sims like ARMA have this kind of advanced functionality.

Not only are all the realism options incredible, but the sound design and animations are especially revolutionary for their time. Even today the sounds are a million times better than CoD, despite the game's age.

Upvote 0
I never played it, but I agree with the above post. I don't know the control layout, but it seems logical, quick and intuitive like RO. Which makes it amazing... because it was a mod, not a game! A mod that old... for UT nonetheless. They pretty much had to make every assets from scratch.

Simply amazing.

Upvote 0
I never played it, but I agree with the above post. I don't know the control layout, but it seems logical, quick and intuitive like RO. Which makes it amazing... because it was a mod, not a game! A mod that old... for UT nonetheless. They pretty much had to make every assets from scratch.

Simply amazing.

Grab UT and go play with some friends/get a RO INF fight night going. Its a blast to play friends and coop if you don't mind outdated graphics(Which are honestly not that bad considering how old the game is.)

Upvote 0
It's amazing to see just how incredibly innovative this game was. I mean we're a full 12 years later and not even the most hard core infantry sims like ARMA have this kind of advanced functionality.

Not only are all the realism options incredible, but the sound design and animations are especially revolutionary for their time. Even today the sounds are a million times better than CoD, despite the game's age.

INF is even older than that, it started as an Unreal mod (the 1998 game).
It was a much humbler mod back then, but along with Serpentine and Snipeout for Unreal, and Dday-Quake2, it was among the most realistic gaming we had ever seen.

When UT came out, the INF team did a quick and dirty port of their Unreal mod, called INF v1.75, just to tie their fans over with something, and then started work on the INF you see now, starting with v1.80.

It was developed in absolute secret, we had no idea what was comming, just a few screens that showed much better 3D models than the old version had, and some vague promises that v2.80 was going for more realism.
You can imagine how it knocked the wind out of us when we first saw v2.80 in action, allready then having most of the features it has today (though they where somewhat buggy in the start there).

Also, food for thought, this mod was pushing this kind of realism many years before CoD was even a blip on anyone's radar, so you can imagine my dismay when i hear people say CoD revolutionized realism in shooters..

Upvote 0

Actually there was some work done on a ut2003 version. They were even working on vehicles. However like the third reich, it didnt survive the switch to newer games.

Upvote 0
Also, food for thought, this mod was pushing this kind of realism many years before CoD was even a blip on anyone's radar, so you can imagine my dismay when i hear people say CoD revolutionized realism in shooters..

sadly when people say "realism" these days they probably dont know what they mean. To most I assume it means visuals, because every game developer (exclude TWI) who mentions enhanced realism in the game is usually showing some new graphics, or occaionaly some gamey BS like FC2's degrading weapons.

Upvote 0
sadly when people say "realism" these days they probably dont know what they mean. To most I assume it means visuals, because every game developer (exclude TWI) who mentions enhanced realism in the game is usually showing some new graphics, or occaionaly some gamey BS like FC2's degrading weapons.

"Realism" seems to have a bad stigma attached to it these days due to improper labeling and triple AAA games. We shall now refer to realism(The good kind like RO has) as "Balls to the wall awesome fun".

Examples:

NO: RO is the most realistic FPS.
["Boring" like ArmaII or some other stigma]
YES: RO is balls to the wall ****-ing awesome. [Note that the cussword alone will attract attention and the awesome part will make people curious as to what makes the game so awesome. ;)

Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0