• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
Bear in mind, though, that this is just PR speak, there's no saying the guy actually belives a single word of what he's saying, and he's happily lying through his teeth.

The PR-team probably felt it was a bad idea to come right out and say "you won't get any SDK, because we want to sell you more $10 DLC's in accordance with EA's new buisness model", and thus, we get this cock and bull story instead.

Lies, subterfuge, deflection, astroturfing, paid-for reviews, and some more lies, welcome to current day game-marketing! Please enjoy your stay.

Upvote 0
Hmm someone cloned Sion lenton, made him marginally smarter ( he did have one or two good ideas in that interview ) and sent him to work on BF3.

The modding part just comes off as arrogant. as far as I am concerned any decrease in modding they see is one they have helped to create in their own hemisphere of products. They choose to tout this idea because it means they dont have to make mod tools, and they can sell their DLC's which oddly enough dont get sold when we have mod tools...

So from this day forward I shall never buy/play/touch a battlefield series game again, and I will make damned sure that anyone I talk to doesnt either. Which fits in quite well with my other resolution to make sure I mention ROHOS/TWI any time games comes up in the conversation... ;)

Upvote 0
Hmm someone cloned Sion lenton, made him marginally smarter ( he did have one or two good ideas in that interview ) and sent him to work on BF3.

The modding part just comes off as arrogant. as far as I am concerned any decrease in modding they see is one they have helped to create in their own hemisphere of products. They choose to tout this idea because it means they dont have to make mod tools, and they can sell their DLC's which oddly enough dont get sold when we have mod tools...

So from this day forward I shall never buy/play/touch a battlefield series game again, and I will make damned sure that anyone I talk to doesnt either. Which fits in quite well with my other resolution to make sure I mention ROHOS/TWI any time games comes up in the conversation... ;)

I don't think they understand what modding can do for their community.

Upvote 0
no they very likely dont.

Its sad when you stop to think about it for a moment, modding when compared to a few 10$ DLC packs would bring far more cash in the long run AND more community AND loyalty. Games with good mod communities seem to always end up with people feeling a bit more warmth towards the games developers.

Look at the stalker series, I dont see too many ( if any ) people going around calling those developers lazy and releasing half finished games (etc) when in reality the games were released half finished. But the games are practically open source, and earlier builds of the game have been released, so people can just fix all of those half done bits and make the rest as they please.

Oh well, Should we really shed any tears when the ignorant start digging their own financial grave? All they are doing with their foolishness is advertising for every other game out there, including ROHOS.

actually, in fact, I think this would be a great time to start hitting up battlefield forums linking to A: that article about modding, and then TWI's Rising sun project to sponsor a mod team. While lastly thanking DICE for making it so damned easy to convert their fanbase :D

Upvote 0
no they very likely dont.

Its sad when you stop to think about it for a moment, modding when compared to a few 10$ DLC packs would bring far more cash in the long run AND more community AND loyalty. Games with good mod communities seem to always end up with people feeling a bit more warmth towards the games developers.

Look at the stalker series, I dont see too many ( if any ) people going around calling those developers lazy and releasing half finished games (etc) when in reality the games were released half finished. But the games are practically open source, and earlier builds of the game have been released, so people can just fix all of those half done bits and make the rest as they please.

Oh well, Should we really shed any tears when the ignorant start digging their own financial grave? All they are doing with their foolishness is advertising for every other game out there, including ROHOS.

actually, in fact, I think this would be a great time to start hitting up battlefield forums linking to A: that article about modding, and then TWI's Rising sun project to sponsor a mod team. While lastly thanking DICE for making it so damned easy to convert their fanbase :D

DICE rakes in tons of cash, probably much more than GSC gets from Stalker. Do you have any proof that DLC makes less money than a "warm" community. While I would like to believe what you're saying, I think you're ignoring reality.

Upvote 0
DICE rakes in tons of cash, probably much more than GSC gets from Stalker. Do you have any proof that DLC makes less money than a "warm" community. While I would like to believe what you're saying, I think you're ignoring reality.

Seeing as there exists no official body that collects, tracks and publishes data about the modding scene, or it's effects, that's a pretty tall order you're asking for there.

Upvote 0
Dollar figures for proof that modding can be better then DLC?

How about all the great mod teams that have been bought up by companies and had their mod turned into an AAA title and sell for a hell of a lot more then a few DLC packs.

Or for that matter, all of the extra people who buy game X because it has mod Y.

And the warm community bit was about how it seems ( from my perspective ) like releasing a not finished game that is moddable is much more acceptable in the communities eyes then a not finished / finished / Good game that is not moddable.

So in summation you have
A: the money from DLC's sold.

Versus

A: The extra copies of a game that are sold to people who buy for the mods, or who just buy with confidence knowing that even if they dont like it the mods will fix it / bugs with the game.
B: Possibility to acquire a mod team and put them to use producing games ( which could spin off a whole series )

*time to go home I could type more*

Upvote 0