• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Black and White

DiedTrying

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
USA Prime Credit
No this isn't about the RTS, or even really a mod request per say.

Just some theoretical jibberish.

What are your thoughts on a game like Red Orchestra being presented in gray scale? I don't think I would buy a game exclusively for it, but what if it were a feature in a mod as a way of being more artistic?

Would it add anything to the game, or would it just be a novelty that wore off quickly? Would black and white accentuate the exceptional gameplay and ugliness of war portrayed in Red Orchestra (add in the stellar soundtrack as well!)?

Yes, because at that time, everything was black and white. Color was only invented later after the war...

Your 2nd post and you're already trolling...

And I personnally think that no one would get this mod since if anything, it'll ruin the gameplay of RO2.

How would the color scale change how the game is played?

But I must admit, the stellar soundtrack sounds pretty cool (not as a big mod or something)

Upvote 0
-An enemy can hide in a shadow and you're done for. (Changing the brightness would do absolutely nothing)
-An enemy can be next to a building of the same color (not even shade) and you're done for.

And besides, you tell me what kind of person would actually get a mod that's black and white. If you're looking for immersion, black and white will not help at all..

Upvote 0
-An enemy can hide in a shadow and you're done for. (Changing the brightness would do absolutely nothing)
-An enemy can be next to a building of the same color (not even shade) and you're done for.

Perhaps in certain situations, but gameplay factors were never a part of my original question

And besides, you tell me what kind of person would actually get a mod that's black and white. If you're looking for immersion, black and white will not help at all..

Again, this isn't a mod request, just a query about black and white in games. Black and white in movies can help immerse a viewer, why can't it work with a video game? I think playing in black and white (especially ww2) would remind me of older war movies and newsreel footage. Perhaps gray-scale would only appear during certain situations? The first 30 seconds of a round, and the last 30 seconds?

Upvote 0
No this isn't about the RTS, or even really a mod request per say.

Just some theoretical jibberish.

What are your thoughts on a game like Red Orchestra being presented in gray scale? I don't think I would buy a game exclusively for it, but what if it were a feature in a mod as a way of being more artistic?

Would it add anything to the game, or would it just be a novelty that wore off quickly? Would black and white accentuate the exceptional gameplay and ugliness of war portrayed in Red Orchestra (add in the stellar soundtrack as well!)?

Unless you say either "Lets do a western front mod. I dont know nothing about modding, but damn, would it be cool." or "Somebody do me a modern day version of RO" you cant expect positive reponses here :/

Upvote 0
I don't think most people would end up playing in black and white. ATI had some shaders with their videocards that allowed various things like making the game look cellshaded or making it look black and white stuff like that. I don't think anyone even looks back at it anymore.

What could be interesting however would be like a grain filter. Like in for instance band of brother. It makes things look more dated and gives a certain atmosphere without removing all colours from you.

(btw there was colour footage in ww2 otherwise this gif couldn't be made:
384sw22yusw93.gif

Upvote 0
I don't think most people would end up playing in black and white. ATI had some shaders with their videocards that allowed various things like making the game look cellshaded or making it look black and white stuff like that. I don't think anyone even looks back at it anymore.

What could be interesting however would be like a grain filter. Like in for instance band of brother. It makes things look more dated and gives a certain atmosphere without removing all colours from you.

(btw there was colour footage in ww2 otherwise this gif couldn't be made:
384sw22yusw93.gif

yes I'm well aware of color footage but that has nothing to do with the artistic value of grayscale. ( i think you were just looking for an excuse to post that gif lol)

It's just something I thought people could discuss. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would think that black and white in some situations could add to a retro nostalgic (towards old war films [most not in color]) feel.

However, my idea of having the rounds start off in black and white and fade to color, then in the last seconds of the game have it fade from color to black and white.

Upvote 0
Could be a cool mutator, but I imagine the novelty would wear off fairly quickly if it was just 'RO2, in BW.' It'd have to be tested to a reasonable degree to be be implemented well in an online fps (Making sure it offers no ridiculously unfair advantage in secions of maps through overdarkening etc) Could work well if there were custom maps made and stylised with the BW filter in mind.

Terrible quality video, but the effect can be seen in the stalker mod, Nuclear snow:

YouTube - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Oblivion Lost 2.1.1 + NUCLEAR SNOW mod

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2531

Upvote 0
There is a mutator available for the engine to turn everything B&W, so it shouldn't be too hard for a modder to implement it.

I wanted to do the same thing for a zombie romero mod for KF but it doesn't work with that engine but as said it's already working with the UDK.

I like the idea and would definitely welcome some grain to the mod to make it even more realistic.

Upvote 0

not true it would be gray but diffrent than the gray buildings.

Upvote 0
I don't know about the practicality of playing the game in black and white, might work, might not, can't tell until you try. But it would be very cool to have the option of recording matches in black and white, so when you watch them later on, it looks and feels like old wartime footage.
Can't people simply do that with any decent video editing software?

Upvote 0