• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DLC character customization

DLC character customization

• Yes

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 39.1%

• Total voters
But why? TWI did it with KF. The character packs. Why shouldn't it be in RO? If it's only an optional DLC that adds minor cosmetic differences to the characters, and doesn't affect you in any way, why not? What makes RO so different from KF that it shouldn't character packs? And don't say realism, because not every soldier dressed exactly alike.

If its so minor then why even bother? KF is a completely different story since its not pvp and the changes can be rather large, there by making it worth the money.

You may be happy to pay for it but such small changes costing money imho would make people think they where being ripped off.

Upvote 0
If its so minor then why even bother? KF is a completely different story since its not pvp and the changes can be rather large, there by making it worth the money.

You may be happy to pay for it but such small changes costing money imho would make people think they where being ripped off.

Barely noticeable? Depends on the design. There are quite a lot of things TWI can add; for example chicken wire on the helmet, backpack, slightly different Feldgrau colour, beard, rolled up sleeves, MG belt draped around body, helmet cover, etc. That would definitely be a noticeable difference.

I definitely believe people would be willing to pay for such DLCs. The KF packs were very successful.

As I mentioned, I suggested this before but people were against it because they wrongly thought it would give people an unfair advantage.

I think some people just have an irrational fear of the word DLC. They think of $15 CoD map packs when they read the word. But not all DLC is bad, especially if they're completely optional and cosmetic only. It would also mean more dosh for TWI.

Upvote 0
chicken wire on the helmet, backpack, slightly different Feldgrau colour, beard, rolled up sleeves, MG belt draped around body, helmet cover, etc. That would definitely be a noticeable difference.

I really think all of those things are far too small to put into DLC, though those are the only things you could really do without taking it too far.

I think the MG belt isn't a good idea as you'll end up with many people running round with an MG belt you aren't able to give to an MG (and when the MG34 is mostly drum fed, and DP-28 is pan-magazine loaded).

DLC isn't bad for singleplayer, but usually if it's anything more than a superficial detail for multiplayer it's disappointing.
I personally can't see any legitimate additional detail (like the things mentioned above) being worth it.

Upvote 0
Barely noticeable? Depends on the design. There are quite a lot of things TWI can add; for example chicken wire on the helmet, backpack, slightly different Feldgrau colour, beard, rolled up sleeves, MG belt draped around body, helmet cover, etc. That would definitely be a noticeable difference.

I just cant see people paying real money for it, even cod does not make you do that.

I really think all of those things are far too small to put into DLC, though those are the only things you could really do without taking it too far.

My feelings exactly.

In the end I think its safe to say the only variation will be done by the hero system. Either way I hope to see some variation.

Upvote 0
KF DLC has so far been character skin packs, which are worthless in-game.

The problem with DLC is that it has to be both worthwhile and not something that other gamers clearly require in order to fully enjoy the base product.

I see KF DLC on Steam for 1,99 and just think "what's the point?" whereas releasing say 9,99 DLC (new maps and vehicles) would seem offensive because we've already bought the game and expect these things included in the price.

So, unless TWI can think of a genuinely intuitive way of handling DLC, I think they should just give it a miss.

Upvote 0
KF DLC has so far been character skin packs, which are worthless in-game...... So, unless TWI can think of a genuinely intuitive way of handling DLC, I think they should just give it a miss.

I liked them helps brighten it up abit. Judging by the amount of people that use them They seem to sell well.

Don't forget Rissing Storm will most likely end up as dlc id say thats intuitive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Rising Storm (a full Pacific conversion) is a better candidate for DLC than a few mediocre skin packs.

I would certainly buy Rising Storm and Iron Europe if they are good enough to be released as DLC - that said, Darkest Hour is free, so why shouldn't these mods be?

I'm not too bothered about In Country.

Upvote 0
I would certainly buy Rising Storm and Iron Europe if they are good enough to be released as DLC - that said, Darkest Hour is free, so why shouldn't these mods be?

Most of the mods will be, that said dont you think modders should earn something from their hard work?
Im sure the amount of work that goes into this will be alot more then many mods. twi also said they would bring it in house and polish up if it was to become dlc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The mods should be free, used as a a marketing tool to sell more copies of the original game.

If one of the mods is brought in-house and polished to be sold as a expansion pack style offer (but no more than 1 or 2) , all people who own the original should have a few days free trial they can activate when they like to see if they want to buy it.
(price mabye 15 euro or 20$ if its good enough)

As for cosmetic changes , the hero system should make your character dynamically change with experience AND once you have the maximum experience you can choose any of the previous experience levels cosmetics should you wish. Any packs that are exclusivly for cosmetics and such would be lame and the above system would work fine for all whiners who are more worried about their "in game" appearance than the actual gameplay.

Upvote 0
For get paid DLC. That would be private. I am talking about free public UPDATES.

Abit of a waste if you ask me... how about they start making the characters for a new game instead?

once you have the maximum experience you can choose any of the previous experience levels cosmetics should you wish.

I like this.

Upvote 0
Wasting time making even more character models (dont forget about how they already change over time), is completely different to making new maps and adding more vehicles.

I don't see what time it would be wasting, being that it would be in free (or paid if that is what TWI wants) updates that would be released after the game has already come out.

Upvote 0