• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Auto-Recording

Auto-Recording

• Yes

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Needs more detail

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Only if you can't see it while the game is going

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Chadwiick

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Tampa, Florida
I just got a brain burst moment.
Ok, topic- hackers.
Now, yeah we aren't going to catch all, but you know what, how about make some type of auto-record feature for the servers. So some kind of person, like VAC, Server Admin, or whatever can go in and watch some player play the entire match. Doing that we can keep the value of no 'killcam' (I know its not in. :p) and we can catch hackers by the eye. Now I know nothing is perfect but this could help.
What are your thoughts?

Are you thinking that the server auto-records the matches and then admins can view them at a later date? I like the idea, but thats a LOT of memory needed to record every game and store it, probably for a week to give time to go back and check. Also thats a lot of time to look at each player playing a 15 minute match, whos gonna look? Thats a lot of full time jobs. For a 16 player server, 4 hrs for one match with a person watching everyone:(

Also even if they only look at reported players, especially if the game is popular, which it will be, thats still a lot of players to look at and a lot of time needed to see all of their video, many of them just reported for being good at the game by sore losers, especially early on.

I love the idea, but I'm not sure how it could work in reality. Besides, aren't there programs that you can activate to look at a player after being suspected to see their line of sight etc that only record once suspicion has been logged...

Upvote 0
Are you thinking that the server auto-records the matches and then admins can view them at a later date? I like the idea, but thats a LOT of memory needed to record every game and store it, probably for a week to give time to go back and check. Also thats a lot of time to look at each player playing a 15 minute match, whos gonna look? Thats a lot of full time jobs. For a 16 player server, 4 hrs for one match with a person watching everyone:(

Also even if they only look at reported players, especially if the game is popular, which it will be, thats still a lot of players to look at and a lot of time needed to see all of their video, many of them just reported for being good at the game by sore losers, especially early on.

I love the idea, but I'm not sure how it could work in reality. Besides, aren't there programs that you can activate to look at a player after being suspected to see their line of sight etc that only record once suspicion has been logged...
It would mainly be used when there is suscpicion of course. It could be stored on the server masters memory or something like that.

Upvote 0
to gain a clear idea whether someone cheated in non blatant case it takes a lot of hours looking even at a single demo.

Serverside demorecordings are possible though, and i guess making it auto start with a system like the cache folder could be feasible.

So you save say the last 40 matches and every time a new demo gets created the older one gets deleted. For server admin purposes i'm mostly interested in chat logs and kill logs.

Upvote 0
No, because of the additional performance it would require. On adminned servers this is not an issue anyways.

It would be an option, and it doesn't require any noticeable performance of the server when running a demorec. At least it doesn't in Red Orchestra 1, so I don't see why it would do on HOS.

Reactions: Apos and fredkruge
Upvote 0
APART FROM PEOPLE HACKING OR W/E FIRST GUY POSTED. An automatic recording system that records everything with minimal system resource usage would be nice so you can save moments of epicness or making a little movie. By recorder I mean where you can view the battlefield from anywhere you like, with a rewind and pause etc. This can add to a game in lots of ways for the community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would really like for there to be a possibility for the server to record a demo where you can spectate around any way you like (as if you were an actual spectator during the recording) while watching it.

Is it possible in ROOST? Anyone know if it will be possible in ROHOS?

that is how it works in Roost (bugs aside).

Upvote 0
Have TWI commented on the ROOST demo issues btw? (such as not displaying lean even remotely correctly etc)

(Important stuff for managing pub servers as well as competitions. Everyone is a winner with good demo rec features!)

UE3 is a new engine, things like lean not working well are bugs. As the code base is new, bugs from Roost likely won't transfer to HOS but will see other bugs appear. Those things simply need to be caught during the beta testing phases, there isn't a lot to discuss there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, while we are talking about demo: =)

I hope weapons will show in demo (don't even remember how it is in roost lol).

(I've never really played any UNREAL game at all so I know very little about it.)

Any idea if it would be possible to via your own recorded demo "freespec" as you can in source? (a feature not that many knows about actually)

You can freely spectate other players when viewing back your own made demo by usage of the rypeL demo record mutator. The mutator is only needed for playback. RypeL allows you to make stuff such as frag videos. However due to optimizations only players within some proximity of your own player can be seen. Players do not recieve all info of all players in case they could never see each other. Logically server side demo recordings do not have those kinds of limitations.

By default the way the UE3 engine handles demo recording you do not see weaponry, but TWI has somewhat promised to show first person weaponry in demo recordings (as without it you cannot see where someone aims completely ruining the demorec functionality).

Allowing weapons to be seen means allowing weapons to be seen while spectating, which would really help new players as well when following an old player and seeing how he plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0