• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] IL2 sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Press Release/Video

Damn it, I have been reading the bad omens but no... I had to have faith in such good pc developers and preorder it (the boxed version even). And guess what, not only I was ripped for 5 pounds + post compared to steam, I open it only to find that there is a single card in the box.

And the best part? There is only the CD key on it. So yeah, so much for avoiding the uncomfortable virtual manuals that steam has.

And the even better part? I will probably join all those people complaining about the crappy performance. Great. Just great... :(

Upvote 0
open it only to find that there is a single card in the box.

And the best part? There is only the CD key on it. So yeah, so much for avoiding the uncomfortable virtual manuals that steam has.

But, in Ubisofts defense, they announced that they stop to ship games with amnuals for "ecological reasons".

Other than that, you have my full sympathies.

Upvote 0
Yeah I guess there is a point there, if I wanted a full manual with tons of info for each plane I would have gone for the collector's edition. But never mind that, I am a total newb at flight sims and I just thought this is a good place to start, so a simple card with some controls would be very helpful (those tutorials in the first game were hard to keep up with after a while since you were mostly watching...). Not to mention that picking up the box and feeling lighter than a pencil makes me a sad panda

Upvote 0
First impressions

First impressions

Here comes a short rundown of my first impressions and im gonna be honest. I'm in a hurry so pardon the language.

First of all i ordered the boxed version and i didn't expect a manual etc(which comes with CE) since it's been absent since the dawn of consoles, at least on the PC side of things.

Anyway so i installed the game without any hassle using Steam and i'm running it on the specs that can be seen in my signature. Booted up the game..

Lets get to the bad parts first, the game has obvious performance issues over land and you will not notice any significant improvement even if you turn your settings down. The fps stays around 10-20 which is unplayable, however over sea you'll quickly seen an increase and the game becomes more playable. There's also some stutters which honestly spoils the experience at its current state.

Minor bugs can be spotted a little here and there, you'll notice the absent of a wind sound if you open the cockpit at high altitude, and the lack of a volume bar in the options. While these are minor mistakes you'll run into quite a few of them and they bring they overall impression down.

As for online play its currently unavailable via the Server browsers due to some kind of Steam error, so i havn't had the ability to test the netcode etc just yet.

Now to some positive things..

As we all know the cockpits are incredibly detailed and it really shows just how much work went into them, they're interactive and you can click on the essential buttons,levers if you so wish.

The flight model and aerodynamics are vastly improved, it feels completly different from the original IL2(in a good way) , and flying the aircrafts equals a true joy whenever the game works.

Damage modeling is pretty insane(in a good way as well), several hundred components can be damaged on each aircraft and i've come to recon individual cylinders break down/get hit and affect my plane properly.. in a sense its just like the real deal where anything can get hit in the aircraft.

Internal sounds are excellent, unfortunately i cannot say the same about all external sounds, a few of them are good but for the Spitfire and Hurricane in particular they sound just as the IL2 planes, no real merlin noise etc :(

The Full Mission Builder is great, allowing you to setup missions and campaigns, and the support for future 3rd party content will ensure a rich amount of maps / mods in the future.

Summary;
It has its bugs and i've not even begun to scratch the surface, yes at the moment the game is pretty much unplayable and i would advice you to wait another few weeks for a complete experience.

But with that said, the game has a huge potential and if you manage to see through that and trust the developers and their trackrecord(IL2 2001 vs IL2 1946 equals a BIG difference) you'll know that this game will eventually be the greatest ww2 sim ever created.

All the bugs are currently being looked at by the developers and they've stated that performance tweaks and multicore enhancements are expected early next week along with a bunch of other fixes.

P.S
I'm sorry i couldn't write a more indepth review yet i haven't played it for many hours and i'm off for a couple of hours.

Upvote 0
Here comes a short rundown of my first impressions and im gonna be honest. I'm in a hurry so pardon the language.

First of all i ordered the boxed version and i didn't expect a manual etc(which comes with CE) since it's been absent since the dawn of consoles, at least on the PC side of things.

Anyway so i installed the game without any hassle using Steam and i'm running it on the specs that can be seen in my signature. Booted up the game..

Lets get to the bad parts first, the game has obvious performance issues over land and you will not notice any significant improvement even if you turn your settings down. The fps stays around 10-20 which is unplayable, however over sea you'll quickly seen an increase and the game becomes more playable. There's also some stutters which honestly spoils the experience at its current state.

Minor bugs can be spotted a little here and there, you'll notice the absent of a wind sound if you open the cockpit at high altitude, and the lack of a volume bar in the options. While these are minor mistakes you'll run into quite a few of them and they bring they overall impression down.

As for online play its currently unavailable via the Server browsers due to some kind of Steam error, so i havn't had the ability to test the netcode etc just yet.

Now to some positive things..

As we all know the cockpits are incredibly detailed and it really shows just how much work went into them, they're interactive and you can click on the essential buttons,levers if you so wish.

The flight model and aerodynamics are vastly improved, it feels completly different from the original IL2(in a good way) , and flying the aircrafts equals a true joy whenever the game works.

Damage modeling is pretty insane(in a good way as well), several hundred components can be damaged on each aircraft and i've come to recon individual cylinders break down/get hit and affect my plane properly.. in a sense its just like the real deal where anything can get hit in the aircraft.

Internal sounds are excellent, unfortunately i cannot say the same about all external sounds, a few of them are good but for the Spitfire and Hurricane in particular they sound just as the IL2 planes, no real merlin noise etc :(

The Full Mission Builder is great, allowing you to setup missions and campaigns, and the support for future 3rd party content will ensure a rich amount of maps / mods in the future.

Summary;
It has its bugs and i've not even begun to scratch the surface, yes at the moment the game is pretty much unplayable and i would advice you to wait another few weeks for a complete experience.

But with that said, the game has a huge potential and if you manage to see through that and trust the developers and their trackrecord(IL2 2001 vs IL2 1946 equals a BIG difference) you'll know that this game will eventually be the greatest ww2 sim ever created.

All the bugs are currently being looked at by the developers and they've stated that performance tweaks and multicore enhancements are expected early next week along with a bunch of other fixes.

P.S
I'm sorry i couldn't write a more indepth review yet i haven't played it for many hours and i'm off for a couple of hours.
This is also my assessment after reading countless experience reports on multiple forums and from friends of mine that have bought the game. I'm definitely going to give this some time to get the serious bugs and performance issues worked out.

Given the fantastic product that IL-2 eventually became, I can't just toss out these devs because they give us a super rocky release. Of course, when a customer BUYS a game they EXPECT it to work, so there is no real excuse to deliver a half-finished product.

That said, I WANT to give them my money, but I won't until I see that they've made a playable game.

Upvote 0
I'll skip this until it is patched and I upgrade them.

On the bright side, I'll practice in 1946 some more and get Wings of Prey while I wait. I am an awful pilot in 1946. I can barely shoot down transport planes without getting my pilot killed from the turret gunners. :eek:
The trick is you have to get some altitude behind the bombers and dive from above. If you spend too much time behind the bombers you'll get raped!

Upvote 0
The trick is you have to get some altitude behind the bombers and dive from above. If you spend too much time behind the bombers you'll get raped!

I've found that out the hard way. My issue is mainly with planes armed with machineguns rather than cannons... takes forever to take down a plane, especially a bomber or cargo plane. :p

Upvote 0
I've found that out the hard way. My issue is mainly with planes armed with machineguns rather than cannons... takes forever to take down a plane, especially a bomber or cargo plane. :p

My main problem on this issue (being a crappy pilot) is that I always lose them when I am above them since I can't see them, so I end up finishing the mission with oil and holes everywhere most of the time :p

Upvote 0
Yeah you gotta aim for the engines. Otherwise, you'll waste all your ammo. Also, it's helpful to use the gunsight view to get a slightly zoomed in look at what you're shooting at. I always set an easy to reach button on my joystick to gunsight view.
My main problem on this issue (being a crappy pilot) is that I always lose them when I am above them since I can't see them, so I end up finishing the mission with oil and holes everywhere most of the time :p
This is a problem, but what I always do is what pilots did in real life -- once I have some altitude on them, either roll my plane to the right/left or fly upside down to get a look below. Having a joystick with a movable "hat" on top is essential to look around while flying, assuming you don't have Track IR like some rich freaks. That way you can make your pilot look "up" after rolling upside down. Then you make your nefarious dive :D

Upvote 0
So yeah the first official patch for the game has been released, and based on the feedback I've read so far it appears to be a step in the right direction.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20911

Most comments so far note sizable performance gains, which is definitely a good sign. Oh and they took the DRM out of the game altogether. Thank god!

Upvote 0
So yeah the first official patch for the game has been released, and based on the feedback I've read so far it appears to be a step in the right direction.

[url]http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20911[/URL]

Most comments so far note sizable performance gains, which is definitely a good sign. Oh and they took the DRM out of the game altogether. Thank god!

All together?
Hmm.. I knew that 3 PC-only crap would turn out bad.

Upvote 0
All together?
Hmm.. I knew that 3 PC-only crap would turn out bad.
The funny thing is hardly anyone is complaining about the DRM on the forums since the performance issues have been so bad. I guess they just figured they'd be proactive and throw it out (with permission from Ubi, of course).

Upvote 0