• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deployed MG view

Daffy_Duck

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 28, 2011
Since this is my first post, hello to all. I've been following the game for quite some time now, and finally registered to the forums. I've been playing a lot Red Ochestra, and i'm really looking forward to the sequel. From what i have seen in the videos and screenshot the game seems to become even better than the first, and i'm sure it will be ;).

So to my questing/suggestion: Will you be able to fire the MG delpoyed, with out using the ironsight. Basically "aiming" by only using the tracers. The source mod "Insurgency" had this great feature, which gives a much better view over the battlefield than a ironsighted/zoomed in view.

I couln't find anything about it, in videos or other post, but if it has already been confirmed/suggestion i'm sorry for asking again:eek:

ever play restiance and liberation? do you mean s system like that?

there is blind fire, but thats TOTALY blind. i dont think a gunner would do that, as that would mean you might waste a few more rounds before you hit them...and a mg42 fireign at 1500+ rounds a min....that would waste a LOT of ammo.

you should be able to hip fire them...and if the player is clsoe to a ledge he should be able to hip fire but be a little more steady and not imeditaly go up to teh sky like in ROOST!

the system above would be most like your sugestion.

if some oen brings up teh video fo the guy shooting a mg42 full auto from the hip.....i wonder how long it took him to stand there, set his feet/ballance....and i wonder if they were using blanks, as blanks would have NO recoil at all....

Upvote 0
Yeah you right it won't be very accurate, but i still believe there will be situations where it would be useful. But i'm i'm also just thinking, that it will be useful for scanning the battefield. Instead having most of your view blocked by the gun, you would have a much better view. From deployed mode, you would be able to quickly switch from ironsight to a "standard" view.

Example from insurgency:
YouTube - Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat gameplay (Beta)

Upvote 0
i really like the idea of firing the deployed MG without using the sights. it gives you a better overview at the cost of accuracy (and controlability maybe?).

i can imagine that the MG-class will be pretty powerful in HOES, so maybe it will be too powerful with this feature, though. it should definately be looked into, as it is not difficult to do in real life.

edit:
another thing that would counter the possibility of overpowering: the gunner will be more exposed if he raises his head, thus making it easier to hit him. this is another + in my book to try to put this into the game

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't seen it in a video but i would hope you could use your mouse wheel to go in and out of IS. Kinda like on the half track in OST. I did like being able to get a better view in INS without being zoomed in with the IS covering at lot of my screen. I was also nice to finally have a reason to have tracers and walking the bullets to my target. Instead of letting the other side know where I am at. Tracers work both ways! :p

Upvote 0
I think it'd be better to let you duck down with MG mounted, and then peek over, like you can with the cover system of rifles and SMGs. Same with anti tank rifle. Provides some good view, doesn't leave you completely open, and both sides of it are satisfied.

The static MGs in Forgotten Hope have similar to what you are suggesting. You can use the "Change Camera" key on MGs to look up better instead of staying in ironsights. Helpful with guns that completely block your view due to ironsights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what exactly is pretty arcade about this special feature in insurgency? raising your head a few inches to get a better view doesn't magically keep you from squeezing your trigger finger, does it? also, INS was brought up as a reference on how to easily add a feature of firing an MG without actually using the ironsights. nothing more. nothing about the deploying system, recoil, firing rate, tracer rounds, penetration capability etc.

i guess the MGs in ROHOS will turn out a lot different from most FPS games, anyway.

Upvote 0
I wholeheartedly agree with that suggestion, should it not already be implemented.

However, I recall hearing/seeing in the recent GDC videos that while prone with an MG, the MG would automatically deploy (without ironsighting). Hence, you should be able to fire it without going into ironsights, while prone. Now, if this mechanics carries over to all deployable surfaces it would be sweet.

Upvote 0
He was talking about the game and the MG in general I think, not that nice specific feature =).
exactly. The feature for it self is "OK". But insurgency plays way to fast and chaotic for it to really matter. Just as you shoot the target it was already "zipping" away with its AK firing some rounds in your face.

On the other side. Only one thing that I really thought was a bit stupid with the that future in Insurgency. Looking over the MG with the iron sight would almost block your whole view (not very practical) though using it without the iron sight and deployed left you with quite bad accuracy but to bring up the iron sight would take time. Seconds which many times decided about dieing or surviving. So I would only want such a "no iron sight" feature if it was actually accurate enough to hit something. Otherwise you will always find your self in iron sight which begs the question why to bother for such a feature in the first place.

Don't get me wrong. Insurgency is a fine game. But it was not what I expected (particularly when you read from some how super-realistic it is ...). Though it has a reason why quite a few call Insurgency "CS with iron sights". Not to mention that most of their maps ... are frustrating. Imagine something like Danzig. Just smaller. With the same number for people. And cap points almost next to the spawn.

Upvote 0
On the other side. Only one thing that I really thought was a bit stupid with the that future in Insurgency. Looking over the MG with the iron sight would almost block your whole view (not very practical) though using it without the iron sight and deployed left you with quite bad accuracy but to bring up the iron sight would take time. Seconds which many times decided about dieing or surviving. So I would only want such a "no iron sight" feature if it was actually accurate enough to hit something. Otherwise you will always find your self in iron sight which begs the question why to bother for such a feature in the first place.

you just justified it yourself. if there wouldn't be a downside, why should people even bother using ironsights? also, to have these valuable tenths of seconds when altering your stance in which you are vulnerable makes it even more exciting and more of a challenge. that's why i like it in INS, too. you have to know what you want to do with your machinegun. with the suppression system in HOS, rather unaccurate fire upon a group of enemies behind cover/concealment will be useful.

Upvote 0
well it could be a bit more accurate then in insurgency though. As said. If you cant really "hit" something I would not bother using it that way. But that is me. I am not arguing against such an option in general. It all depends how people feel when they realize a machinegun is firing at them. Neither RO.O nor Insurgency ever really give you teh feeling that you have to "get in cover" or "keep your head down" just because a machinegun is firing at you.

Upvote 0
I don't judge the game play really from watching others playing the game particularly if it are mostly bots as enemies. So I cant say how the system will perform with real players without any own experience. Particularly with those which actually spend some time with the game play. All I can really do is see what is there already and just speculate. DH has "some" kind of suppression. But it doesn't really change the game play all to much because 1. It is simply a game and 2. The game is missing certain "realistic" traits. The first cant be really changed. But the later can. Like penetration, restriction in movement etc.

I think the only real way to get players suppressed is to get them "killed" (Day of Defeat is actually making better use of machine gunners compared to Dh or Ro for example). So attacking the MG from the front as single riflemen for example should pretty much always be equal to suicide. In both Dh and Ro this is still way to effective. But as said. With penetration and clipping for weapons this might change (learning is exploited greatly at the moment, try using a weapon of the size of a broomstick like you do in RO for example and you know what I mean).

Weapon handling is one of the aspects many games which aim for a more realistic game play have to improve upon. Particularly in relation with movement. For example a 360

Upvote 0