• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenades?.. There where plenty of grenades in Stalingrad, Assault class in Ro:HOS?

I think it would be appropriate to have a secondary assault class with a PPsH41 with two extra 30 round mags, and a satchel full of 5-7 grenades. I feel the same way about TW on the supposed grenade spam.

It's Stalingrad, the largest and most brutal urban combat in history. Grenades were cheap and manufactured en masse. To give each player two grenades at most would seem wildly out of place for a battle like Stalingrad.

I don't mind this idea either. The limited number of storm troops with extra frags would limit frag spam to the area that soldier occupies. Add in the odds of the storm troop dieing before throw all his frags in rapid succession further reduces nade spam. Also his teammates could pick up any leftovers his corpse may provide.

Upvote 0
My little write up. Was gonna ask one of the TWI guys if they wanted it emailed ( I can still email it, it should keep formatting then ) but decided to post it here, so people can read it over and give their responces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grenade!
Intro:
The thread was originally created for the purpose of discussing quantities of grenades given to each player, posting a picture of some seven men from Stalingrad, amongst them 23 grenades. From there the thread spins off into a discussion about grenade spam and many peoples ideas on a fix to that problem. This document sums up the suggested fixes in an easy to access document for later use in BETA Ballance tests.

It's a common denominator amongst most commentators that grenades just aren't right in ROOST. Most of this opinion is very likely tainted due to the currently available maps on ROOST ( Cough danzig ) and the design of these maps being made for 32 players instead of 64. Before proceeding further we will now differentiate between two types of undesirable grenade usage. The first is using a grenade as a primary weapon; them priming and cooking and air bursting over your target while trying to avoid their fire. The second is the act of grenade spam, or blindly throwing grenades into an area where you suspect there to be enemies.

Using Grenades as a primary weapon:

- Move away from precise fuse timers to something a bit more unpredictable. Timer length being predicted by something like a normal curve, with time in seconds on the X plane, the majority of grenades fall into time +/- .5 of a second. ( Perhaps even including duds )

- Reduce players ability to throw grenades while moving. Lemon suggested moving to the ARMA style solution of not being able to move while throwing grenades. This is something that can be tested, but is very likely to be annoying to players ( It's also not very realistic to lock someone in place while they throw a grenade ). The more a person moves, the harder it is to throw something exactly where you want it, and the game should reflect this. It should also reflect that when you are running or jogging it is much harder to make a good swing and throw something as far as you can when standing still. To this effect players should still be able to move while throwing grenades, but should get less range and accuracy at a jog compared to standing, and again at a run compared to a jog. This would enable a player to run across a street and pitch a grenade into a first floor window, but not all the way down the street.

- Sticky Grenades: This particular issue is most like deprecated with the new engine. Grenades in ROOST tend to stick to the floor that they landed on, instead of rolling. This made long range grenading of a particular area much easier, as there was no compensation needed for the grenades movement after landing.

- Increased Kill Range: It has been pointed out by a few people ( including myself ) that satchel charges were never really used like grenades as in spam weapons. The main differences between these two explosive weapons are:
- Thrown Range
- Kill radius
There is no difference in issued quantity of the weapons, NONE. If grenade spam was caused by quantities of explosive weapons satchel charges would fall victim to the same excessive usage. But for a period of time there the WERE used exactly as grenades, Shambeh Bambeh being the exact term. Players would lay down on top of a BA 64 ( Clown Car ) and drive by a tank satcheling it and continuing to drive on to safety from the explosive. What is this replicating? Satchels with a greater throw distance, one where the users are not afraid of harming themselves. The only other case of satchels being used in any regularity in a 'spam'ish situation is in CQB when they can be thrown around a corner and not harm the user due to the walls blocking the blast. Again the weapon is being used in 'unrealistic' situations when the player feels they can get away with it without harming themselves. Observing other games where grenades are many times less powerful it can be seen that players often throw them carelessly and without thought or concern, so it would seem that the illusion of grenades being a throw and forget weapon that cannot harm you is partial cause for spam.
It would be very interesting to see Beta test results with grenades set to have a realistic kill blast radius to see what effect this would have on their usage. Note that if this made players a bit more hesitant to use them in unrealistic situations then players could be given more grenades. ( As is actually realistic ).

- Aside note: This issue may be less of an issue in ROHOS due to the player model scaling over distance, it will now be roughly two times easier for the grenade as first weapon player to be hit. Also camping positions like a hallway with a grenade to kill the first few enemies, the grenade camper will no longer be safe from enemy fire standing mostly behind a door sill as that concealment can be penetrated.

Grenade Spam:
This is a tricky issue because as many people have pointed out, grenades were used en masse in Stalingrad. I personally think that 95% of what players call grenade spam in ROOST was either due to map constraints, or players using grenades as a first weapon. Grenades as a first weapon was a tactic I first started to use shortly after the games release, and it almost guaranteed you two very easy kills. That being said, when that problem is solved that actual issue of grenade spam will probably go with it, in the end some people dislike being killed by grenades, and all that is required of the map maker is to make a map large enough and with enough options so as to not force players to be killed by grenades constantly. RO is a thinking mans game, a grenade should be a tool that is used to harm those who are not thinking, not the favorite tool of those who don't think.

- Map Pre-knowledge: I'm sure that the tactics of the second world war would have changed were ever battle fought on an identical map and the soldiers respawned. The base problem of this one valid case of nade spam is that players learn the map and then know exactly where people will be at certain times. In the worst case scenario this means someone learning exactly how to fire a grenade launched grenade from spawn A to spawn B. In most cases this means advancing players who have not yet met with enemy contacts start throwing grenades where they know the enemies are due to previous experience. This is ( atleast in my opinion ) one of the only true forms of grenade spam. The fix for this though is probably a map randomizer, or just a map generator.

Conclusion:
The idea is not to fix 'grenade spam', as players are thinking beings who adapt to the reality you have presented them. Don't apply a band aid on top of that, but realize that the way this reality is constructed evokes a response from the players, if you wish to change that response, change the base mechanics, limiting the grenades might limit grenade spam, but it does not FIX the problem underneath, it is a band aid fix. The suggestions in part one would help to encourage a player to stop to make grenade throws where possible, something that abides by reality, but yet does not force the players into the will of the game designers ( which is always a bad move ). It gives the players choice for how they will use their grenades, but simultaneously removes the previous capability to move at great speed and throw grenades long distances accurately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's my fix, which is actually based off of TWI's work in ROOst.

You see, to deter grenade throwing, cause any soldier who sees a grenade do the one over-dramatic GREEEENAAAADAAA scream. This will play to any enemies in the nearby area at maximum volume (perhaps redone to be even more dramatic), causing their heads to explode. Easy fix

Upvote 0
I think it would be appropriate to have a secondary assault class with a PPsH41 with two extra 30 round mags, and a satchel full of 5-7 grenades. I feel the same way about TW on the supposed grenade spam.

It's Stalingrad, the largest and most brutal urban combat in history. Grenades were cheap and manufactured en masse.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

And maybe give riflemen 1, and snipers and mgers none at all. And regular assault class guys 3.

Upvote 0

Yes, this.

I also think there should be free aim for grenades making it harder to throw accurately. You could aim by showing the left arm in your view like this:
recruits-grenades.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't get you guys who complain about this tbh. Stalingrad WAS a nadefest.

This retort keeps popping up, so lets adress it with some logic here:

In your standard ROOST match on a smaller map like Danzig, which spans only 20 minutes, how many grenades do you think get tossed in just thouse brief 20 minutes?

Think about it, everyone spawns with 2 grenades, and they will respawn with 2 grenades every time they die, and how often is that? Well, pretty often, just look at how many reinforcements are allowed, and usually, thouse will be running low or depleted when the round ends, so that's a LOT of greandes in circulation there within just 20 minutes, and on a map like Danzig, people usually use their greandes before they die aswell (or if they don't, someone else will grab them from their corpse).

I have no idea how we would even start to count all the nades that get used, within just 20 minutes of combat, in such a ROOST match, it's a pretty huge amount.

Now i know the use of grenades in Stalingrad is infamous, but i very much doubt that, within just 20 minutes of combat in Stalingrad, even half the amount of grenades went off that is standard fair in a ROOST match right now.

Ohh sure, soldiers would often carry more than 2 grenades in Stalingrad, but chances are they wold be in combat for days between beeing resupplied, so they would not be using them within 20 minutes, let alone several times that amount within 20 minutes (remember, people will die and respawn with all their grenades over and over again, and since the player numbers have been doubled to 64, the reinforcement numbers are likely to be more aswell, so how many grenades will have been in circulation within 20 minutes then?).

Eh, just putting that thought out there...

Upvote 0
Also keep in mind that not every map may be based in the city of Stalingrad and that there will certainly be custom maps that aren't in the city itself either.

Sure alot of the problem does come down to map design with regards to nadespam, but the biggest problem to me is the attitude of some players, running out of the spawn to throw their 2 grenades. I still think the best suggestions are the ones that will help change those players attitudes towards using their grenades in the first 10-15 seconds after spawning. Hopefully TWI has something up their sleeves and will surprise us.

Upvote 0
Here are my suggestions to change the usage of grenades to a more realistic level.

1: Increase the time to switch to a grenade and ready it.
2: Decrease it's accuracy and randomise it's throwing length while jogging. Some go further than standing, some go shorter.
3: introduce random grenade fuses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here are my suggestions to change the usage of grenades to a more realistic level.

1: Increase the time to switch to a grenade and ready it.
2: Decrease it's accuracy and randomise it's throwing length while jogging. Some go further than standing, some go shorter.
3: introduce random grenade fuses.

@1. A realistic ammount of time that is averaged out from all the places on a person where grenades can be stored, ok. unnecessarily making the time 'longer' to attempt a balance is just penalizing the players. Take that first picture there.

@ 2. ... longer then standing? I would say that is physically impossible to be running and throw something farther than you can while standing still.

Upvote 0
@1. A realistic ammount of time that is averaged out from all the places on a person where grenades can be stored, ok. unnecessarily making the time 'longer' to attempt a balance is just penalizing the players. Take that first picture there.

@ 2. ... longer then standing? I would say that is physically impossible to be running and throw something farther than you can while standing still.

@1 agreed, I wouldn't want to see unrealistic amounts of time

@2 Yes, with the correct technique you can throw further while running than standing, since a soldier wouldn't use a baseball throw to throw his grenade. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought random fuses were already in Ost?

or at least the occasional dud frag

Nope, as someone who used to be good enough to airburst a grenade in a very precise area I can almost guarantee there are no duds, and if there is a randomized time the change in fuse is so small I never noticed it.

The general idea for slightly randomized fuses is that this being ww2 and mass production with little quality control, its very likely fuses could vary +/- .5 of a second on every grenade, and up to a second or two on some grenades.

I think there should be just enough of those grenades that are supposed to be a four second timer, but turn out to be a two second timer so that players will be MUCH less likely to try and precise cook a grenade for an airburst.

Upvote 0
AFAIK the main problem was and is the fact that nades are accurate, powerful, predictable and easy to throw in all conditions. As well as the fact that a lot of the maps have very obvious choke points where it's very easy to "rain" grenades in to that one area. Small maps (like Danzig) make this even worse.

As has been alluded to in this thread
1: Reduce the accuracy of grenades while moving -after all you do not have a gyrostabilizer, and that your other weapons have a reduced accuracy while moving... Also one might look into removing the ability of trowing grenades while sprinting, afrer all I do not believe you can fire your rifle while doing so, so why should you be able to throw a nade? Also stamina should play a factor, if you just sprinted and are out of breath I think that should affect your accuracy as well.
2: Add a bit of randomness to the grenades accuracy in general. After all most of the guys we are portraying are not experts at throwing things accurately. Green troops are probably going to have little in the way of experience at throwing grenades as well. This should be more noticeable at their maximum range than two feet from you... But it should not be huge, after all I believe most people after a little bit of training should be able to land a nade in the general vicinity of where they want it to be.

3: Randomize the nades fuse, no two grenades are the same, a +- 1 second delay for the fuse would make the nade a bit more unpredictable.
4: allow the nade to bounce a bit more freely, if used on hard ground (like hard packed earth and concrete) it should bounce a bit perhaps a few feet.

The bigist issue is not one easly solved that is the ability of ~400 player (lives) each with 2 nades throwing a potential 800 of them in a single 30 min match.
Now a assault company that is leading the charge is likely to have been issued a good number of grenades, it's also likely that many of these would be found among a few individuals, as the squads/platoons would likely know who the best thrower(s) is and give him/them a good number of nades to use, a sort of designated grenadier. Though most troops would likely hold onto a nade or two for personnel use.

So perhaps the game could be set up so that theirs a grenadier class that start with 5 to 10 grenades while the rest would have between zero and two grenades (perhaps a bit of randomness here).

Of corse theirs Chuikov's "hand-grenade rule" (commander of the soviet 62nd army at Stalingrad), "Never move with out throwing a grenade first, and never move farther (at a time) than you can throw another one."

Upvote 0
This retort keeps popping up, so lets adress it with some logic here:

In your standard ROOST match on a smaller map like Danzig, which spans only 20 minutes, how many grenades do you think get tossed in just thouse brief 20 minutes?

Think about it, everyone spawns with 2 grenades, and they will respawn with 2 grenades every time they die, and how often is that? Well, pretty often, just look at how many reinforcements are allowed, and usually, thouse will be running low or depleted when the round ends, so that's a LOT of greandes in circulation there within just 20 minutes, and on a map like Danzig, people usually use their greandes before they die aswell (or if they don't, someone else will grab them from their corpse).

I have no idea how we would even start to count all the nades that get used, within just 20 minutes of combat, in such a ROOST match, it's a pretty huge amount.

Now i know the use of grenades in Stalingrad is infamous, but i very much doubt that, within just 20 minutes of combat in Stalingrad, even half the amount of grenades went off that is standard fair in a ROOST match right now.

Ohh sure, soldiers would often carry more than 2 grenades in Stalingrad, but chances are they wold be in combat for days between beeing resupplied, so they would not be using them within 20 minutes, let alone several times that amount within 20 minutes (remember, people will die and respawn with all their grenades over and over again, and since the player numbers have been doubled to 64, the reinforcement numbers are likely to be more aswell, so how many grenades will have been in circulation within 20 minutes then?).

Eh, just putting that thought out there...

Good points. I think the best solution is to have a "grenadier" class with a bunch of grenades (like 5 or 6) like some have said, give the bolters 1, snipers/mgers none, and assault troopers 3.

Either that or some sort of system where each player has a limited number of grenades per map and can choose with how many to spawn (with a limit of course!)... but with snipers etc. getting less per map.

But really, apart from Danzig, I don't see nadespam as an issue really.

Maybe the best solution would just to throw a bit of randomness into the aim or just make it harder to to aim them perfectly. As it is veterans can toss them into windows perfectly from quite a distance, airburst them directly over where they want to, etc. In RL try that with a baseball, not easy unless you're a pitcher or something. And think about it... even pro baseball pitchers miss all the time, and they're not throwing that far. And they're not under the stress of battle. And grenades aren't nearly as "balanced" as a baseball is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want bundle grenades , thats all :D

Can someone tell me if geballte ladung was used in stalingrad because i cant find it on the internet :rolleyes:

They used them since WWI, so why not?
They didn't make them in a factory (standard/stock) though.
You needed to assemble them.

You can also make an improvised "Bangalore mine/torpedo" with a few stielhandgranate.

Upvote 0
On grenade use:

The RGD-33 fuse was lit by the movement/action of the throw. If RO:HoS doesn't have a second animation for "cooking" these babies, I don't think they should be of the "cookable" kind...

http://www.inert-ord.net/russ02i/rgd33/index.html

P.S. Question for Colt.45 killer

Why do athletes run while throwing a spear, if you would be able to throw something further from a standstill?
Just a question, which isn't asked just to argue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0