• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] IL2 sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Press Release/Video

Apparently, the filter is just a desperate quick-fix so they can release it on time, without hassle from Ubi. They'll have to fix the "seizure causing problems" one-by-one. So, the filter will be removed once those are done.

Well at least there's hope there. How come everything Ubisoft touches turns into something only a dung-beetle would be proud of?

I just went from being wildly excited about this game to 'not buying it until I see what's up.' Good job Ubisoft.

Upvote 0
I don't get it though. Every fps and a great quantity of games surely could give people seizures? It's a legal requirement that they have to put a seizure warning in the packaging or in the game - so why is it different for IL2COD?

Edit - found this link in the thread relating to it

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/campaigns/lobbying/video-games

Some games manufacturers have already begun pre-screening their latest games. These manufacturers include Ubisoft, the games developer responsible for the title that triggered a seizure in Gaye’s son. These manufacturers are demonstrating a conscientious attitude towards the safety of gamers.

Seriously? If you're epileptic then you're taking risks playing video games in the first place, but yay let's just piss everyone else about for the benefit of a few! Honestly people these days...BAH!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Loads of comments like that in the thread about it, like the fact that it says "SMOKING KILLS" on cigarettes but you can't sue a cigarette company if you die from related causes, or that it's possible to have a seizure by driving passed a row of trees with the sun behind them...you can't sue the car driver/manufacturer if that happens...no one (myself included) can see how this makes sense.

They've basically had to fudge their realistic visual implementation of the gameworld, and it's ruining the performance.

Upvote 0
But as I said, who would've published it?

The worst part is that for addons and whatnot, Ubisoft will likely be an issue.
Well it's not like no one has heard of IL-2. It's the most famous flight sim franchise in the world, perhaps aside from Microsoft Flight Simulator. The problem is probably the fact that Ubisoft published the original IL-2, and there is probably something in their contract that prevents them from abruptly breaking off and finding another publisher.

Upvote 0
Well it's not like no one has heard of IL-2. It's the most famous flight sim franchise in the world, perhaps aside from Microsoft Flight Simulator. The problem is probably the fact that Ubisoft published the original IL-2, and there is probably something in their contract that prevents them from abruptly breaking off and finding another publisher.

I think the best option would've been 777 Studios with Jason(they also know eachother the dev teams) , those guys bought the RoF developers and they've proven themselves, you might not have heard of them unless your in the simming community but a very trustworthy and excellent distributior / developer.

Sadly i belive that Ubisoft still had the rights to IL2, and thats why its being released under their wing, ive no doubt they would've gone for another publisher otherwise and theres also no doubt Ubi was behind the name change IL2Cod.

It's gonna be sorted within time now folks, as someone posted above we got abit carried away, the filter was a quick fix thats why its dropping the fps, the true implementation will be patched in the coming week(s).

Upvote 0
There are other issues around it though, I get the impression on the forums that they cannot actually show things like - for example - the propellor rotation, it has been permanently fudged...they can no longer accurately show spin rate and transparency of the prop-in-motion because of it. There are other issues as well. None of which appeared in previous IL2 games.

I'm sure it will get sorted, but it is wholly disappointing.

Upvote 0
I give it a week before someone finds a 'workaround' to remove the filter.

EDIT

Did some more reading on this, apparently the filter is only a stop gap for now until the things it does are eventually hard coded into the engine in all versions of the game outside of those published by 1C in Russia.

So that means no spinning props, no sparks and flaming debris, and subdued eplosion lighting effects on all all non Russian versions of the game. Apparently they cannot (or will not) make it optional in any capacity either.

I just started a support ticket on Steam asking them to cancel my pre-order.

What a ****ing crying shame this all is :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They should have gone for a different publisher, at least published it themselves on Steam. Eagle Dynamics dumped ubi as publisher long ago and decided to publish their game themselves and they're doing great. They can't use the "Lock - On" title anymore but they've established another popular simulation series.

I fear that if CoD doesn't do well in the first few months, Ubi will probably pull the plug of the whole IL-2 series. Just as they did with Silent Hunter: people boycotted the game because of the DRM and in response Ubi decided to cease supporting the game at all. Now the same "boycott" thing is happening with the IL-2.

Upvote 0
I give it a week before someone finds a 'workaround' to remove the filter.

EDIT

Did some more reading on this, apparently the filter is only a stop gap for now until the things it does are eventually hard coded into the engine in all versions of the game outside of those published by 1C in Russia.

So that means no spinning props, no sparks and flaming debris, and subdued eplosion lighting effects on all all non Russian versions of the game. Apparently they cannot (or will not) make it optional in any capacity either.

I just started a support ticket on Steam asking them to cancel my pre-order.

What a ****ing crying shame this all is :(

Not sure where you got your info mate, from the posts I've been following and the link posted above again, its only a stop-gap temporary measure, sure it will still have an epilepsy filter but so does quite a number of games, maybe even RO2.

People are jumping to conclusions without official words, understandable but its not accurate, the system will be in place and work the question is how long it takes for them to replace the current stop-gap fix.

You'll be able to see all the props and explosions etc no worries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think his point was that they won't be a true representation of what is being depicted.

I get the impression that when they're done the prop in the aircraft will be intentionally made not to look like a prop would in reality, there'll be a prop there, and you'll be able to see it spinning...but it will not be visually behaving like they had originally intended, and like it does in previous IL2 instalments.

Upvote 0