• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

bayonet hint

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
In short IF:
1. you are running
2. you are holding bayonet atack key
3. and than suddenly if enemy is coming from near door in front of you and you crash with him
4. you pike him like with pike

If you pike him:
1. you stop holding bayonet key - reset, need to push it again to make it ready

If you run somewhere and you hold bayonet attack, you dont need to use key to bayonet someone if you run to him (you and him crash), it should be like pikeman attack when pikeman is running with pike aimed in front of him. Only for running riflemans, moving energy is enough to pike someone.

Mmh.. that would make it incredibly easy to bayo someone. If the bayo were implemented that way I would forsee abuse. One of the attractive things about the melee system was how it required great timing and skill to be good at it; this made a successful melee attack that much more satisfying.

Would it be realistic if the collision system caused a stab when your bayo simply touches another soldier while running without having to use a key? I guess so, but it kind of takes the fun out of it. How would it work with friendlies?

Upvote 0
ok mount bayonet, aim it in front of you and run directly to sand bag, you will see result.
ITS NOT ABOUT MAKING SOMETHING EASY.

Friendles?
LIKE GRENADE OR BULLET. IF YOU RUN TO FRIEND WITH HOLDING KEY THAN YOU KILL HIM ... ONLY IF YOU HOLD BAYONET ATTACK KEY NOT WHEN YOU DONT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mmh.. that would make it incredibly easy to bayo someone. If the bayo were implemented that way I would forsee abuse. One of the attractive things about the melee system was how it required great timing and skill to be good at it; this made a successful melee attack that much more satisfying.

Might be true, but I just find it annoying and not really immersive to run circles around someone just because I miss all the time.
I might be bad at it in RO1, but even a drunk paralysed person can stab someone with ease irl...

Reactions: Krator
Upvote 0
Might be true, but I just find it annoying and not really immersive to run circles around someone just because I miss all the time.
I might be bad at it in RO1, but even a drunk paralysed person can stab someone with ease irl...

the upside being that it made melee fights like in cs where it was more reflexes and duelling rather than right-clicking or running into someone.

I suppose it could work to give the weapons a sense of collision a-la the lightsabers in jedi knight, but if you do a bayo lunge then it has to reach a bit further to make up for it :)

Upvote 0
Mmh.. that would make it incredibly easy to bayo someone. If the bayo were implemented that way I would forsee abuse.
Thing is, most people never accomplish melee anyways because usually the only time people get close enough for hand-to-hand combat is when for example, a German goes through a door right when a Russian was about to go through. And then usually, they just panically shoot as many bullets as they can at the enemy.

Upvote 0
Thing is, most people never accomplish melee anyways because usually the only time people get close enough for hand-to-hand combat is when for example, a German goes through a door right when a Russian was about to go through. And then usually, they just panically shoot as many bullets as they can at the enemy.

In real life you smash into your enemy's chest with all your mass.

But I disagree, melee counts for 5-10% of all the ingame kills I see (60ish percent bullets and 30% grenade spam BS). It's kind of important.

Upvote 0

99% of the times I did melee was because I had a bolt and the bullet missed.
Just too bad that most of the time I also missed the bayo which meant running in circles...

Upvote 0
I like the idea of stabbing a guy if you run into him while the melee key is pressed. It helps prevents those atrocious circular melee "fights". To counter this, as the "defending" player, if you issue a well-timed melee strike you can 1) "deflect" the charging man's blow, giving you time to counter attack 2) stab the man charging at you if you have a bayonet equipped. As the guy charging, if you want to avoid the unpleasantness of seeing your glorious charge defeated, simply release the melee at the opportune time to release an unstoppable bayonet strike.

Upvote 0