• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

GDC video's (Tanks, destruction, and Beta info).

. Overall, any kind of leveling system is NOT realistic at all, no matter what TWI would like to tell you.

Nice post. Same can be said for reloading. Sometimes you might do it quick, sometimes you might do it slowly. Best thing to do is take the average running speed, felt recoil, and reload times. Well, that is if you are going for an authentic feel.

I also don't like the mobile spawns. It removes the "front line" feeling that RO1 had. What I liked about RO1 was that it felt like we where fighting a large battle rather than little random skirmishes like in BFBC2. It just seems unfitting for me.

Upvote 0
The number of icons is disappointing too as if the player is a Terminator like machine. One example is that there is a weapon pickup menu? WTF Come on :mad:

We've seen from other demonstrations that the HUD is, by default, mostly empty. You can bring up all the extra information with a key press, and it goes away when you let go.

Besides, what better alternative is their to communication the required information to the player if not via HUD?

But you lost these abilities if you die and you will die a lot in RO2. So it isn't realistic at all.

Also mobile respawns, why do you want to make another Battlefield when original RO territory gamemode was something brilliant. Very exciting, epic battle feelings, frontline vs frontline, where now we will have magic respawn points in cellars, on the roofs, next to friendly spawn, etc etc. I believe you know how is it abused in BF games. Also popping from nowhere freshly spawned players looks soooooooo realistic...

All features represented in video are awesome, but why ruin it with such unwanted things?

TW has already explained that the spawning system will not be like BF's where you spawn out of nowhere. There will be designated spawn zones that you enter the battle from.

Reactions: nike_angus
Upvote 0
TW has already explained that the spawning system will not be like BF's where you spawn out of nowhere. There will be designated spawn zones that you enter the battle from.

The feature still has the capacity to completely destroy the gameplay of RO as we know it and turn it into some sort of insta-spawn 15 meters away from objective/enemy spammy nadefest. And I really don't want that to happen.

And even if that doesn't happen, except for some limited dynamics in the way a map plays, I simply can't think of one single positive thing about mobile respawns. Only loads of exploits, potential problems and bad impact on overall gameplay.

PS: I love how Fedorov completely ignored my previous post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome! I really liked what I saw. The automatic sprinting while prone was one of the best features of WWIIOL, so I'm glad that made it into HoS. The MG manipulation mechanics were brilliant as well. It's funny how it's taken so long for a game developer to finally say, "hey, why don't we just make things work like they do in real life?" and then actually go do it.

A few criticisms:

The heartbeat sound was annoying. I also think there should be a heavy breathing sound as well, as it sounds strange to hear your heartrate rise yet your breathing remain normal. Resistance and Liberation has one of the best suppression effects to date. Here's a video (though it's a bit hard to hear over the sounds of gunfire). I also think the slight tunnel vision effect that RnL uses would suit RO2 well.

YouTube - RnL - Resistance & Liberation Open Beta 1.5 - Suppression Effect

One problem I had with the demonstration itself was the way the demonstrator played the game. I understand that in order to actually show all the features of the game, he had to turn on God mode (and probably the AI was set on super easy), but I think he should have played as if it were a "real" game, so that viewers can actually get a feel of what the gameplay will actually be like. Sure, we see all the neat little features, but for people who have never played RO:Ost, it may be difficult to imagine how all those features fit in to the gameplay if the demonstrator doesn't play the game "properly". For someone who has never heard of or played OST, I could imagine that they thought the gameplay looked terribly generic because the demonstrator was just running and gunning.

I also thought the explanation for the periphery indicators was unconvincing. I think it would have been helpful for the demonstrator to take a few extra seconds to open the console, increase the fov to a realistic number, to visually demonstrate the difference between a real life field of view and an in game field of view, as well as mentioning briefly how a higher field of view is distorted on a small monitor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The feature still has the capacity to completely destroy the gameplay of RO as we know it and turn it into some sort of insta-spawn 15 meters away from objective/enemy spammy nadefest. And I really don't want that to happen.

And even if that doesn't happen, except for some limited dynamics in the way a map plays, I simply can't think of one single positive thing about mobile respawns. Only loads of exploits, potential problems and bad impact on overall gameplay.

That's true. However, I think the spawn system will mainly be used to compensate for larger maps. One of the problems with large maps in Ost is that players are way too spread out. Instead of having squad-vs-squad firefights, you have individual players randomly encountering other wandering players.

Reactions: nike_angus
Upvote 0
Can the HUD be disabled at the server level? This way if an admin wants to make sure no one is using the radar he can just turn off the HUD for everyone globally?

How many controls and/or options will the server admin have at his disposal in order to create the experience he wants on his server? Will you (TWI) be releasing specifics on the customization features for server admins?

Upvote 0
Couple of nice touches there and some worries for some of us laid to rest

Surpression looks to be nicely implemented and not over done

New pick up systems looks a lot better too

Ranking was explained better and if as video said there will only be very small increases it shouldn't make to much of an issue.

the tanks look really well thought out in the way they interact, without doubt these are the best tanks about player and visually wise - even non tank players probaly are going to want to try them :) i know i will

Upvote 0
That's true. However, I think the spawn system will mainly be used to compensate for larger maps. One of the problems with large maps in Ost is that players are way too spread out. Instead of having squad-vs-squad firefights, you have individual players randomly encountering other wandering players.

and then engaging in a melee duel until you decapitate the other person.

THERE CAN BE ONLY OOOOOONE:IS2:

Reactions: Alvin Fuchs
Upvote 0
Visually it's quite stunning. The suppression just isn't strong enough for me, though.

I hope that well see more of it, as it is now it seems like a nice effect. But i'm afraid that once you get used to it it looks like you just end up killing everybody ignoring the effect.

But I really like the other stuff we've been show, but the stat bit im still a bit iffy about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hmm.. maybe will be everything in full game better but little criticism

Class/hero ability sounds is like in MMORPG where you have +100 dmg sword +10% stamina socks etc. and you are king now! I think FPS can stay FPS without this features dedends only on player skill. No on system things. And bad if we see lot of hacked heroes.

I think destructible environments looks fine but does not increase fun or gameplay. Saw in ARMA II and in stupid Bad Company 2. Maybe good for panzer vs fence but..

Angle of running character still crazy :) They will attack with heads.

Btw. Smoke, smoke, smoke. its like CoD2, if i remember good, where authors put smoke particles to all MP maps because its cool.. RO2 will be cool too now ?

Upvote 0
The suppression system looks good to me. It doesn't take control from the player instead it makes a slight annoyance to encourage the player to take cover. I'm sure beta testing it would be the only to really see if the system needs tweaking.

Edit

The game footage far exceeds what I expected for a RO:O sequel. Can't wait to play it!

PS submitted links to reddit on r/games any redditors should upvote me :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I would personally like it if it could be a server option that allows you to spawn close to a squad leader. There is no need to remove it but i'd just like it if a server could optionally pick that a player should simply pick their spawn out of designated possible spawn positions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Overall, most of what I see I like very much!!!

Only a couple of criticisms I can think of.

Suppression - I thought it was really hard to see how the system works from the trailer. I'm sure part of that has to do with the fact that I am only watching and not the controlling player. That is still a wait and see for me, but the heartbeat was annoying and sounded louder than it needed to be. I have yet to see/hear the heartbeat sound added satisfactorily into a game.

The HUD - It seems overly cluttered, just commening on that. I'm glad that we should be able to minimize or customize all that extra information floating around... at least I hope so.

Also, with the more thorough description of Firefight, I think I will mostly be skipping that mode. I can see why TWI will be doing that to lure in players from other games. I just hope that those servers running that mode will be clearly labeled as such in the server browser.

Still, that is mostly just nitpicking, its looking really great so far!!! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Pectus
Upvote 0
Holy ****, that is some cool gameplay. I'd love to see a 32vs32 online match.

The only thing that bothers me is the suppression effect, it should be stronger, at least visually. As it is now, it looks like you can pop up and lay down accurate fire at a MG42 that is bombarding you with lead without a problem. Maybe add some camera(stay calm suppression haters, camera - not weapon) sway when under heavy fire?

Upvote 0