• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ability to switch roles in a fully manned tank

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
In regards to the tanking, Alan mentioned:

No - you can swap around, so long as there are AI-occupied positions to swap to.

In ROOST, if you want to swap around with a full tank, one guy can exit the tank, and you can shuffle the positions.

In ROHOS, without the ability to exit the tank, you'll be stuck in that role.

It'd be nice to have a swap queue, so say if two people hit the number key for each other's position, they'll swap.

Alternatively, allow the tank commander to move players around.

Edit: Let the roles be chosen, or rechosen while waiting to spawn or respawn.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagicSnake
That would be fine if it was true. As of right now in the Alpha, you can't swap positions with a 3 player manning a tank.

See this post: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=704789&postcount=130

I asked Alan if the tank commander can play other positions in a team tanked tank. He said, you could move around, *as long as there is an AI position available.* To me, that sounds like if you're fully crewed, you can't switch positions, like in ROOST.

The difference is, in ROOST, someone can get out of the tank, you can reshuffle, and hop back in. In ROHOS, that option isn't there. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that tank exiting should be implemented. I'm just suggesting the ability to change positions in the tank when you have 3 players in the tank.

At the very least, it would be nice to be able to reshuffle positions while waiting to respawn.

Upvote 0
From what I know and seen, it'll be that you are going to spawn in one spot, if there is AI you'll "Soul" swap with them, then if there isn't AI, you'll physically move to that position with a nice animation... does this help?

No it doesn't.

Let me reclarify.

You are team tanking, with 3 people in the tank. There are no available AI slots. You are a gunner, but want to drive.

You can't change to the driver's position, because there is already a player occupying that slot.

I'm not talking about a tank with one player, or even two players. I'm not talking about a tank with some roles being dead, necessitating the position swapping animation.

I'm talking about a fully player manned tank. Alan said you need to have an empty slot (AI occupied) to swap around).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In regards to the tanking, Alan mentioned:

In ROOST, if you want to swap around with a full tank, one guy can exit the tank, and you can shuffle the positions.

In ROHOS, without the ability to exit the tank, you'll be stuck in that role.

It'd be nice to have a swap queue, so say if two people hit the number key for each other's position, they'll swap.

Alternatively, allow the tank commander to move players around.

Edit: Let the roles be chosen, or rechosen while waiting to spawn or respawn.

Perhaps you should be allowed to do it at the resupply area.

Upvote 0
actually, this raises a new question. If I limp my mangled tank back to the large pile of boxes, can I just get into a new tank as a reward for saving the vehicle? or do I have to scuttle because my engine's a bit damaged and I'll be limping off to the battle at 3 km/h, much like someone I had to drive behind yesterday :(

Upvote 0
I would think that a message would pop up and say that "position x wants to swap with you" and then you could choose to accept or not. I dont see a queue being that useful, I'd expect that most people will lock their tank :)() or be with friends and just be fair.

This would be a good idea. Then you would "soul swap" once both players agree.

Upvote 0
actually, this raises a new question. If I limp my mangled tank back to the large pile of boxes, can I just get into a new tank as a reward for saving the vehicle? or do I have to scuttle because my engine's a bit damaged and I'll be limping off to the battle at 3 km/h, much like someone I had to drive behind yesterday :(

I believe John Gibson mentioned a while back that they were considering having resupply points repair tanks as well.

It wouldn't be realistic, but you could justify the feature by saying that it's an abstraction for a tank that has retreated off of the front, and is being replaced with a new tank. Functionally, there wouldn't be much difference between repairing your tank at a resupply point and manually scuttling/despawning and respawning in a new tank. Either way, the enemy will observe an enemy tank disappearing, and a fresh one returning minutes later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys and your overthinking.

Sorry but I dont really see how we are. I its should be simple and fast to swap and with team tanking it would be nice if they driver could just ask to swap places.

On long tank games I dont want to be stuck driving or stuck anything for that mater. Also options like going back to spawn on a huge tank map to swap roles does not sounds good to me.

Upvote 0
Pretty realistic.

I know for a fact that back in WW2 your heard stuff like "Lemme Commander, Lemme drive.. me me me me let's switch" in a tank all day.

The problem is, it's penalizing the team tanker over the lone tanker. As a solo tanker, you can pick any role you feel like playing instantly.

It's not realistic for a crew member to go swapping around, but in this case, the crew member isn't, just the player. Same thing with solo tanking, the crew member stays put, but the player changes crew members.

Upvote 0
I agree players should be able to switch between crewmen in a fully player-controlled tank.

I also think jalex3's idea of simply having a popup message when another player wants to commandeer your current position in the tank is the best solution.

It favors team-tanking with people of varying skills: if you think someone does a poor job as a driver, you can propose a switch.

On a side-note, I think tank positions should be numbered and identified on the tank HUD (as opposed to being a simple red dot as in ROOst), so if you're new to tanking (say it's your first time) then there's less confusion as to which numbered key to press to commandeer your desired position.

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
not to play devils advocate but what happens if you just so happen to get a bad apple player in your tank who keeps spamming to switch positions, causing a pop up message to rob you of all control of your position? That could also happen if someone doesnt realize your currently busy and cant switch.

I would change the pop up to a small bottom right or left icon showing you which position wants to switch, or a small text message, no pop up in your face message.

Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0
not to play devil’s advocate but what happens if you just so happen to get a bad apple player in your tank who keeps spamming to switch positions, causing a pop up message to rob you of all control of your position? That could also happen if someone doesn’t realize you’re currently busy and can’t switch.

I would change the pop up to a small bottom right or left icon showing you which position wants to switch, or a small text message, no pop up in your face message.

Simple have a don't show this again option, then they can spam it all they want. I don’t really mind how it is a message above or below the middle if the screen, a little box on the side.

A small box may be best, under the message it could say press (x key) to not show this again. And link it the player not the position otherwise if someone gets is the blocked position you will not be able to see them asking to swap. Also this way the pesky person will be ignored anywhere they are.

So I guess the message would be something like "(name) (position) wants to swap roles, (x) to allow (z) to not show again"

Last edited:
Upvote 0