• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Different perks require different technique and intelligence. You Found it?

Just go to the topic.
In 1017 balancing is much better than the previous versions,although not perfect yet.

To play different perks,you need different attribute.Technique is important,intelligence is important,but NOT ALL PERKS REQUIRE BOTH.

Technique required↑
Sharpshooter
Commando
Firebug
Medic
Berserker
Support
Demolition
Intelligence required↓

As a sharpshooter headshots are necessary,but intelligence? Knowing how many headshots are required to take out a FP is enough.

As a demo,headshot? That's bull****. Your shots are AOE,just shoot them. But you need to think about how and when to shoot for maximum revenue.

I don't know, it sort of overlaps at multiple points, and also there is something else: some perks, like the medic, technically don't require intelligence to play, but definately require intelligence to play well (anyone can press m1 with the syringe out, but a proper medic should do far more)

Reactions: HalfDemon and Spicy
Upvote 0
I don't know, it sort of overlaps at multiple points, and also there is something else: some perks, like the medic, technically don't require intelligence to play, but definately require intelligence to play well (anyone can press m1 with the syringe out, but a proper medic should do far more)

I had quite a lot of fun just now. Went medic for the first half of the game, kept on top of my heals and racked up the kills with the LAR. I know "kills aren't everything" but I ended up having the second-highest amount. I also wish I could nail that many long-distance heal darts on a regular basis. :[ Switched to berserker for second half of the game since it was mountain pass and I don't usually play berserker on suicidal.

We decided to take the "safe" plan of chainsawing the patriarch. So naturally that means 3 chainsaw zerkers, a firebug chainsawer ("fire nades for extra damage!"), a commando, and a law/pipe demo. :rolleyes: At least it was funny to watch.

Upvote 0

Yeah, for the general medic, they know what they're doing. But, you always get the one who you have to remind that he's a medic and should be healing you. lol

Upvote 0
Over generalization.

The demo requires plenty of technique with using the nade launcher to set off hand grenades, compensating for movement to kill large zeds, not blocking your view and teammates vision with smokes, etc.

Sharpie also requires intelligence beyond headshot #'s required to kill. Knowing when to engage how many crawlers and the distance where a reload is safe with crawlers closing in.

Any class can be played without intelligence and technique, but to play a class well everything besides zerker requires intelligence.

Upvote 0
Just go to the topic.
In 1017 balancing is much better than the previous versions,although not perfect yet.

To play different perks,you need different attribute.Technique is important,intelligence is important,but NOT ALL PERKS REQUIRE BOTH.

Technique required↑
Sharpshooter
Commando
Firebug
Medic
Berserker
Support
Demolition
Intelligence required↓

As a sharpshooter headshots are necessary,but intelligence? Knowing how many headshots are required to take out a FP is enough.

As a demo,headshot? That's bull****. Your shots are AOE,just shoot them. But you need to think about how and when to shoot for maximum revenue.
Play as a berserker need more technique than the commando, the commando can spray and get out from a hard situation easily, but the zerker needs to carry an HC or Rifle to kill crawlers everytime, and kill a fp with a axe needs tech... the berserker perk needs a really good player to make it useful...

Upvote 0
Any class can be played without intelligence and technique, but to play a class well everything besides zerker requires intelligence.

lol wut. Zerker probably requires the most intellince to play well. Also, probably the second most technique after sharp. This is ofcourse assuming we play normal roles i.e. demos not going rambo.

Upvote 0
I think I understand where fengruliuyun was headed with this, and I don't think he is implying that the best Sharpies are the KF equivalents of Rudolph Nureyev and that the finest Demos are the equivalents of Boris Spassky. I guess...

For me, regardless of perk, KF is a steady stream of decision-making, of moment-to-moment judgement. Things like about balancing your own self-preservation against the survival of a potentially more valuable teammate, or about the benefit of unloading with your AOE weaponry against the downside that same outburst can cause for everyone else.

You can, I believe, tell after a few waves which players are the "It's all about me" types, and which are thinking of everyone's welfare. And, between those that are merely reacting to "stimuli", and those that are fully alert, anticipative and thinking a move or two in advance.

The "technique" portion of the equation is largely developed inherently with experience. And, I think it improves pretty much automatically, without too much conscious thought, and engages, also automatically, when needed. It self-culls the poorer players in the sense that if your technique is lacking, you aren't advancing.

The "intelligence" quantity is something a bit more nebulous, and something I would prefer to describe as "awareness." A very conscious, ongoing examination of the constantly changing situation and the best response to that situation. Personally, I don't believe this is automatic, nor does it come free. It is something that is definitely not "in the wrist" but rather between the ears and behind the eyes. Thought, not twitch, if you will. I feel there are players that may have good technique, but don't have especially good tactical awareness.

Awareness does require a bit of deliberate thought, and I'm *not* trying to be snarky. To be sure, KF isn't Mensa-level activity, and I don't mean to suggest that it is. And, I also wouldn't presume to say that a player that feels most comfortable playing a particular perk is any more or less intelligent, in terms of sound gameplay, than any other.

Upvote 0
>OP rates support over berserker in terms of intelligence required

>MFW

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lol wut. Zerker probably requires the most intellince to play well. Also, probably the second most technique after sharp. This is ofcourse assuming we play normal roles i.e. demos not going rambo.

No, the zerker could be played by a bot.

IF too many sirens/husks, THEN quickly create distance between horde and self, heal up.

Shoot bullets, pick off small enemies with axe/katana, then decide to back off again.

Technique, yes, it requires plenty.

Upvote 0
Technical skill I'd say has to go to the Sharpshooter since the update, he now has to hit 100% headshots to be effective, even against weak foes like clots, stalkers and crawlers.

Most intelligent has to be Demo or Firebug, as in both cases it is real easy to screw the pooch and stuff your team. You have to carefully watch what you are doing for both perks as 1 mistake can really put your team in a bind. Situational awareness is an absolute must.

Upvote 0

IF too many sirens/husks, THEN quickly create distance between horde and self, heal up.

Shoot bullets, pick off small enemies with axe/katana, then decide to back off again.

Way to oversimplify the perk eh? By your reasoning, every perk can be played by a bot since all they have to do is:
Shoot bullets, pick off small enemies with weakest weapon, use strongest weapon on bigger enemies
There is more to the game than just being able to aim well. The decision making is something the bots can't do, especially if it is a decision that must be made on the fly.

Reactions: Starsky
Upvote 0

Ok let's summarize every perk's intelligence and technique requirements.

-Support just requires you to aim roughly at head level with aa12/pump and use hunting shottie at crowds or when zeds get close. Don't spam too much to conserve ammo and time reloads.

-Commando basically babysits you giving you health bars, automatic weapons, fast realoads and easy stalker visibility. Just avoid scrakes and FPS unless they rage.

-Sharp just takes 2 things that every other perk needs to an extreme- target prioritization and aim.

-Medic requires a good bit of thinking and technique IMO.You have to be good at heal prioritization, keeping yourself in healing distance of all friendlies, using several weapons effectively without perk bonuses, using the buggy heal darts with people jumping and strafing everywhere, keeping as much of your armor intact while still tanking and being able to clutch if the situation calls for it.

-Demo also requires a good bit of thinking and technique. Look for grouped specimens in safe range, then use use the launchers/LAW if weaker specs or nade(s)+launchers/LAW if stronger specs. Leave scrakes alone and shoot pipes when FPs stand on them. Use LAR/HC/9mm for close range/single specs so you have to be good at using those without perk bonuses.

-Firebug requires very little technique since there are no headshots but does require a good bit of intelligence to play well, knowing how to shoot specs just enough based on distance to conserve ammo and not blinding teammates being the most important things. Besides that, use MAC-10 for close range and throw a fire nade at groups or if retreating/trapped.

-Since getting close to specs is so important as zerker. you have to be able to decap consistently. In order to do that, the range and melee speed of every zerker weapon has to be second nature to you. You have to be the precise distance away from specimens and time your swings so you don't get hit during "cooldown", which applies to the katana but becomes really evident when using weapons like the axe or machete. It also requires far greater situational awareness and decision making skills than any other perk (bar perhaps a solo medic). You have to know the map like the back of your hand, be able to manipulate specimen spawns. be able to keep FPS calm even when there is no way to lose LOS and it is surrounded by sirens and gorefasts, be able to use ranged weapons like the LAR effectively without perk bonuses and time your heals (zerker takes more hits and spends more time near specimens than other perks). You also will be moving much more than any other perk, but should still not be a pain for the medic to hit with his MP7 as you will require the most healing. After sharpshooter, zerker requires the most target prioritization.

I've played the hell out of every perk and yes as long as we're talking about common player roles (ie. demos sticking with the team and zerker going solo), zerker requires the most intelligence and the second most technique.

If I had to make a list-

Technique (Descending)
Sharpshooter
Berserker
Medic
Demo
Firebug
Support
Commando

Thinking (Descending)
Berserker
Medic
Firebug/Demo
Sharpshooter
Support
Commando

In b4 negs from commando and support fanboys. Lettuce be reality, they're both very fun perks to play, but exactly because they're very easy to use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but the zerker needs to carry an HC or Rifle to kill crawlers everytime

yeah, nah.

HC or LAR makes it easier and quicker, but the berserker is far from unable to kill crawlers with melee.

Just run away from the crawlers so that it triggers their jump, and then dodge them. While their jump is on cooldown, smack them upside the head. Problem solved. :)

I've heard that some zerkers can hit them in midair. :eek:

Upvote 0