• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An idea to refresh dual pistols!

Why though? Dualies have around twice the DPS and twice the reload time, plus you have to purchase the second 9mm and it takes up 4 weight while compromising long range accuracy. I have never seen a loadout that couldn't be better by ditching dualies in favor of a higher tier weapon or a handcannon.

Because if i want a fast reload i will use my LAR or HC. who says its impossible to be accurate with dulies? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The reason why they made dual wieldable weapons "bad" for SS is because they are spammable and SS is supposed to take time aiming and headshotting people. So imo its fine the way it is. However I still hope for a new perk which focuses on dual pistols :p

Gunslinger Perk! With pistols...not really fitting in with anyone anymore...this perk would have more of a purpose. Though I think the MAC-10 would've been a good Gunslinger weapon. Dual MAC10s, anyone?

Okay, before any of u start trolling this thread - answer this question - WHO ever uses double pistols!? :eek:
Exactly. If u see ANYONE except from newbs using it, then I see no problem in leaving it as it is. But for the Christ's sake - what's the double pistols' purpose in game anyway!? Cuz only purpose I see in picking up pistol is at wave 1 and 2 just to sell it to trader... :eek:

Yeah, they suck. The big problem is that Dual Handcannons cost $1000 for anyone but Sharpie, who will NEVER want dualies over the single if he's smart, and that the Dual 9mm adds freaking 4kg for no real reason. Dual Handcannons are actually decent for "Bursting" damage out. 4kg weight for something that can deal a ridiculous amount of damage in a couple seconds isn't bad. The price isn't worth it, though.

If they took away the added weight on the dual 9mms, they'd actually be an upgrade, but as is, they're pointless. Basically screws the 9mms precise aiming AND adds weight. The only reason they're even remotely useful is because you can spam off shots to kill crawlers. But even that is gimped by poor accuracy, a long reload, and that freaking extra weight.

Dual Pistols are currently only in the game for "Rule of Cool" and aren't really an efficient weapon.

Hence, there's no really convincing answer to this problem.

Gunslinger Perk.

Extra damage with handguns (Including Mac10).
More ammo/bigger clip with handguns.
Less Recoil with Handguns.
Alt-Fire of all dual handguns is "Rapid Fire" (Mac10 excluded)
At higher levels, Rapid Fire reduces Recoil while rapid firing.
Faster reload with handguns.
Move faster with handguns.
Dual 9mm adds no weight
At higher levels, dual Mac10s adds no weight
At higher levels, dual handguns get a laser sight (becomes much brighter when zoomed in during aiming)
At higher levels, increased chance/longer duration of ZED Time

New weapon: Dual Mac10s
New weapon: (Ridiculously powerful revolver [Not dual wieldable])
New buyable Item: Shoulder-mounted Flashlight (Less bright than weapon flashlights, but doesn't run out)
New buyable Item: Flares (Recharge like the medic gun, light up areas, no damage)
New Keybind: Toggle Flashlight (Uses Weapon-Mounted Flashlights first, if available. If none is, uses shoulder-mounted one)
New Keybind: Throw Flare

(Optional) New Weapon: Husk Cannon [For Firebug]

Perfect little update. I'd leave the specifics to TWI, but it's certainly a worthwhile idea and I think it'd be pretty fun.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Gunslinger Perk.
MediumThumbnail.jpg

Reactions: timur and Aze
Upvote 0
@Nanostrike:

Read this thread's initial post http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48496.
Go down to the Gunslinger part and read about the perk and its weapons. I think you might like it :) If it's not too much to ask, please read the whole thing :D (as it contains Husk Cannon and lots of other stuff too :))

About the issue at hand, yes, the Gunslinger would help the dual pistols out quite a bit. But if that won't happen, i still think the idea of mine could b considered. And Salad Snake:

3. Max-ammo increase.

Doesn't solve the problem.
While it doesn't DIRECTLY solve the problem, it will at least allow you to more easily spam the weapons, as you won't run dry so quickly. I think it would help quite a bit tbh :eek:

Upvote 0
Gunslinger Perk.

Extra damage with handguns (Including Mac10).
More ammo/bigger clip with handguns.
Less Recoil with Handguns.
Alt-Fire of all dual handguns is "Rapid Fire" (Mac10 excluded)
At higher levels, Rapid Fire reduces Recoil while rapid firing.
Faster reload with handguns.
Move faster with handguns.
Dual 9mm adds no weight
At higher levels, dual Mac10s adds no weight
At higher levels, dual handguns get a laser sight (becomes much brighter when zoomed in during aiming)
At higher levels, increased chance/longer duration of ZED Time

New weapon: Dual Mac10s
New weapon: (Ridiculously powerful revolver [Not dual wieldable])
New buyable Item: Shoulder-mounted Flashlight (Less bright than weapon flashlights, but doesn't run out)
New buyable Item: Flares (Recharge like the medic gun, light up areas, no damage)
New Keybind: Toggle Flashlight (Uses Weapon-Mounted Flashlights first, if available. If none is, uses shoulder-mounted one)
New Keybind: Throw Flare

(Optional) New Weapon: Husk Cannon [For Firebug]

Perfect little update. I'd leave the specifics to TWI, but it's certainly a worthwhile idea and I think it'd be pretty fun.

7. Gunslinger perk

Requires the most work from TWI. Most complicated.

While it doesn't DIRECTLY solve the problem, it will at least allow you to more easily spam the weapons, as you won't run dry so quickly. I think it would help quite a bit tbh :eek:

Max ammo increase would only allow you to spam easier at range, because it still has the reload-time limitations which make it a death-sentence (if you spam the weapon) at CQB. And let's be honest, with it's spread, dualies are one of the worst weapons to use at range. So max ammo only makes it easier to use dualies at the range they're most useless at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a minor epiphany! (When writing in a different thread :D)

If the Gunslinger won't be added, then how about this:

1) Remove the laser on the M14 and put a scope on it or something (to make the next suggestion more understandable)

2) Add THE LASERSIGHT to the second pistol when you wield dual 9mm (since the primary has a flashlight), and maybe on both the primary and secondary pistols for Handcannon and Dual Handcannons! That would make them MUUUUUUUUUUCH better to aim for the head with, even when dualwielding!
It could also just be a bonus for the Sharpshooter, like, at level 3 or something.

Thoughts about that?! :):):)

EDIT: That lasersight thingy PLUS the double ammo and double weight thing as well from my initial post. Wouldn't that make the dual 9mm/HCs much better? :):):):):)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) Remove the laser on the M14 and put a scope on it or something (to make the next suggestion more understandable)
I like this bit...
2) Add THE LASERSIGHT...
No. Vehemently, no. The entire point of dualies is that you trade accuracy for DPS. Develop a mental crosshair. I do, however, agree that dual pistols are rather lackluster right now. Your ammo/weight idea was fine for that, but I wouldn't go any further.

Upvote 0
The first step to fixing the role of the dualies is to actually determine what we want that role to be. It seems to me like that is actually the main problem here, and throwing on generic buff/nerf band-aids won't fix anything if we don't know where the problem is.

You guys may have done this already, but I must have missed it, but if you hadn't, I'd suggest we try to look at the weapons and both at what they are and what role we want them to fill. At the moment, they seem to be lacking a real role in the game, and are therefore impossible to balance.

Upvote 0
Whatever you are eating Aze I want some to @_@

Was there sarcasm in that post, or was it a compliment? :confused: I'm sorry i really can't tell :eek:

I like this bit...
Good :) Most people agreed on that, but, that's totally not the point of this thread :p

No. Vehemently, no. The entire point of dualies is that you trade accuracy for DPS. Develop a mental crosshair. I do, however, agree that dual pistols are rather lackluster right now. Your ammo/weight idea was fine for that, but I wouldn't go any further.

1) The ammo/weight is a good step yes. This could basicly be done regardless of anything else, as it makes dual pistols better in SOME way at least (more tradeoff in form of higher weights than before but also more reward in form of more ammo than before)

2) The accuracy tradeoff is a given (I have the mental crosshair, and i personally think dual pistols are somewhat easy to use and aim with, but others don't, hence trying to suggest something which helps others :rolleyes:) However, how much accuracy should be given away? The laser is just an idea to not make the accuracy TOO much of a loss, which alot of people are complaining about. But i do have another simple idea, which i will give in to response to timur:

The first step to fixing the role of the dualies is to actually determine what we want that role to be. It seems to me like that is actually the main problem here, and throwing on generic buff/nerf band-aids won't fix anything if we don't know where the problem is.

You guys may have done this already, but I must have missed it, but if you hadn't, I'd suggest we try to look at the weapons and both at what they are and what role we want them to fill. At the moment, they seem to be lacking a real role in the game, and are therefore impossible to balance.

Yeah they are a lost case right now. Dual Handcannons are basicly only an emergency sweeper-weapon. There are a few things that can be done with dual pistols though, depending on the goals and the roles of them:

1) Spam weapons? Then it could be done in 2 ways:
a) Move it to the Commando. The Commando is one of the best perks to currently use the dual pistols due to the reload bonus and his ZED time extension anyway. The Commando is also a bit of a "spammer" class already, so i don't see a problem with moving the 9mm, Dual 9mm, HC and Dual HCs to this perk instead. Plus, the Commando's ZED-time extension is not only easy to use spammy weapons with, it's also very cool-looking with Dual HCs and Dual 9mms :cool:
Imo, this is the easiest (and for now best too) thing to do.
b) Create the Gunslinger. Would require alot of work though, but if this would be a longterm goal, this would be the greatest goal imo. (Refer to either the original Gunslinger, or the version i made in this thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48496)

2) Sharpshooter weaponry? Then i think the lasersight on the second pistol when dualwielding is the way to go, or else they are quite pointless still. This also requires alot of work though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
a) Move it to the Commando. The Commando is one of the best perks to currently use the dual pistols due to the reload bonus and his ZED time extension anyway.

Sounds like the reload buff and the zed-time extensions already make it worth while. Why buff it any more?

the Sharp's DPS with the Dual HC's is pretty damn high if you hit them in the head, I think it's fine as is minus the ammo thing. Should get Single HC's Ammo Cap + HC's ammo Cap divided in half. I find them more for cleaning up trash and weakened big mobs anyways.

Single: 96+7 = 103
Dual: 103 + 52 = 155

Just repeating what some one said earlier, but it's what I thought before even reading this thread.

Also, can ya'll stop calling eachother out on how good you are at the game? Just because you have a 'mental crosshair' (Like most everyone else, don't think you're special), doesn't mean you can call the laser sight completely worthless and consistantly shoot it down for weapon balancing reasons. "Well Hey, I can use the dual 9mm's fine, no need to buff or nerf them because I personally can use them to kill stuff." No, this isn't how you be constructive in a thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0