• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bullets shattering

Omar The Insurgent

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006
I have not seen this being suggested anywhere on the forum or in any other game/mod for that matter.

Usually the bullet in games is just a vector value, evolved from hit-scan (instant shot) to ballistics trajectory that modern games seem to use. But what developer all seem to overlook is that bullets IRL are not just invisible dots that have point and speed.

For example, 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridge used in WWII in weapons such as MG42 had around a 13 grams of weight per single bullet (weighted without the shell casing or gun powder). For sake of the discussion lets say it weighted roundly 10 grams which is 0.01kg and belt-fed MG42 that fired 100 rounds of it sends a kilogram of led flying trough the air. Where does it dissapear in games? Matter can't be destroyed, it simply changes shape.

IRL if it all went into suppressing a single target than there was a good chance bullet fragments that divided by ricochet or bullet penetration could also incapacitate the target.

Visual demonstration of what happens to the bullet on impact(yes I know its old):

YouTube - 1 million fps Slow Motion video of bullet impacts made by Werner Mehl from Kurzzeit

(Take note at 1:23 of how the bullet shatters when impacting hard sloped surface)

My suggestion is that, while I dont ask for 1:1 replica of fluid bullet deformation on impact, TWI could implement a X% chance of bullet to divide into 2-3 (still invisible) fragments which would have less killing power but still effective since, as I last checked, ROHOS will have ricochet and bullet penetration.

I imagine this would not have too much stress on the system as all it does is have certain amount of chance for bullet to spread into 2-3 bullets that have different direction and lower speed (they should dissapear from server once the speed is too low to injure).

This way we could maybe see the end of the overly done suppression effects that games now use because it would mean that enemy is not secure if he stands in close proximity to the wall that is being shot at. Not to mention it would work even better with the new cover system in RO2.

Last edited:
Ricochets and penetration are modeled. Those shattered bullets will send out fragments, however these won't have the mass or velocity to hurt anything but your eyes. Also, their shape makes them lose velocity very quickly.

IMO it isn't worth the extra work it takes to model it in game, a lot of work for stuff that won't happen that often(surface properties and angles must be right) However the dust/fragments from the impacts may impair your sight. That could be added as an suppression effect, but again, it would be under specific circumstances and may be hard to implement.

Reactions: Roland777
Upvote 0
Those shattered bullets will send out fragments, however these won't have the mass or velocity to hurt anything but your eyes. Also, their shape makes them lose velocity very quickly.

Sounds to me like you have no problems standing next to firing-range-bullet-catcher wall wearing only plain clothes and safety goggles.

The "ricochet" simulated in games is actually this effect of bullet fragmenting except that there is only one bullet upon impact where IRL in many cases bullet shatters sending out deadly projectiles. And we are talking about one bullet here. Imagine 20 of these hitting the slightly-angled wall next to you every second (the mg42 rpm). I dont quite think it would be that safe.

I bet that most people faced with that scenario would instinctively close their eyes upon the sheer terror of sound, flying metal and enviroment fragments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The "ricochet" simulated in games is actually this effect of bullet fragmenting except that there is only one bullet upon impact where IRL in many cases bullet shatters sending out deadly projectiles. And we are talking about one bullet here. Imagine 20 of these hitting the slightly-angled wall next to you every second (the mg42 rpm). I dont quite think it would be that safe.

If the angle and material is right, the bullet will continue as something that is more more or less cohesive, with velocity enough to at least pierce your skin. I always thought it was those the game modeled.

I bet that most people faced with that scenario would instinctively close their eyes upon the sheer terror of sound, flying metal and enviroment fragments.

Yes, that's why I wrote it could be added as an suppression effect.

Upvote 0
Hmm... this is an interesting suggestion to ponder. I personally don't know if most bullet fragments IRL have enough energy to wound someone (I've never been shot at, you see). However, ricochets are in, and those wound you.

So perhaps to "simulate" bullet fragments the devs could play around with the suppression system: so if you're in a spot where bullet fragments are likely to hit you, you get suppressed somewhat more, or in a different manner (more impaired vision, simulating covering your eyes)... just a thought.

Though to be honest I highly doubt bullet fragments will be modeled into the game.

However, IMO where it really gets interesting is with tanks and AP shells... will those create fragments?

Upvote 0
I don't disagree with the principle, I just think this is one of those issues where we would do well to encourage the developers to be realistic. This is work, processor, and server intensive, and I don't think it's reasonable on those grounds. Client side, go nuts, IMO. On a network game it's a more serious issue.

HoS is going to be one of the most advanced FPS on the market on release, I just want to see that release happen and for the developers to make a handsome return. I'll worry about more psychotic features than they've already crammed into the package when they announce the next game.

Upvote 0