• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Automatic grenade warning?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
In the middle of a firefight, when a grenade is thrown at you, it wouldn't be natural to press a button to alert the comrades around you. In reality, you just try to get the hell out of there shouting: Grenade!

I think it would be more natural, if your avatar automatically shouted "grenade!" when it passes near the center of you screen, so just looking straight at it would trigger the warning.

As long as it isn't too readily triggered, it would be an awesome, realistic feature. But, it wouldn't be right if you didn't see the grenade and your avatar starts shouting "grenade". As long as it's triggered only when your looking right at the grenade, then I would support this. That being said, what's so wrong about it being bound to a key? If you see a grenade, you could press a key and maybe your avatar could shout 'grenade!' 2 or 3 times? This should make it so that you must see the grenade instead of relying on an automatic system.
Just my thoughts:IS2:

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of automatic voice commands. Because at times you are alone and would not shout anything. Especially if enemies are close by you would generally not shout grenade or anything.

For instance in games with automated voice commands you often throw a grenade not to kill someone, but to have him shout grenade so you know he is there.

So if there are automatic voice commands, they should only be heard by team mates close to you and not be audible by enemies. In that case even though perhaps not completely realistic at least the negative properties won't apply.

So I'd like to see your suggestion in the game but only if only your team can hear the message, and if it doesn't clog up the team based voice channels (aka only if the command is local), and that you can distinguish where its coming from (3d spatial audio).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of automatic voice commands. Because at times you are alone and would not shout anything. Especially if enemies are close by you would generally not shout grenade or anything.

This is quite common for me. I'd be upset if my avatar blurted out grenade when I'm trying to convince the other team I've run away.

Upvote 0
As long as it isn't too readily triggered, it would be an awesome, realistic feature. But, it wouldn't be right if you didn't see the grenade and your avatar starts shouting "grenade". As long as it's triggered only when your looking right at the grenade, then I would support this. That being said, what's so wrong about it being bound to a key? If you see a grenade, you could press a key and maybe your avatar could shout 'grenade!' 2 or 3 times? This should make it so that you must see the grenade instead of relying on an automatic system.
Just my thoughts:IS2:

Well, I have problem with keybinds, fitting everything within my natural reach is quite hard, and I would be more worried about running away than pressing a button. Also, most people would have to go to the voice menus.

Other reason is that most people don't use the warning button as much as real life soldiers would. More grenade warnings would make the battle feel more real.

They would have to record like 30 or more grenade warnings lines so it does not get repetitive tho.

So the thing would go like this: You look straight at it, and by doing that, you shout: grenade!

Edit:
@Zets: It would be 3D of course, what would be the point of doing it otherwise?
You have to look straight at it, so its not spammed as soon as the grenade is on your screen.
Also, this is one of the things that could be optional.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mmmm... no I don't like this... I've thrown grenades through windows plenty of times directly in front of a guy in the window and he didn't run for it just because he was too busy looking for people to shoot at

But how many times one guy sees it and runs away, leaving the rest of his squad to die just because he didn't warn them like he would naturally do in real life?

or had his vision blurred.

That could be easily fixed by disabling it during suppression.

Upvote 0
I like the idea, but I agree having it automated would be detrimental in some situations, and could alter gameplay in unexpected ways.

Maybe simply binding it to the "use" key ('F' by default in Ostfront) when an armed grenade is visible on screen?

Sort-of on topic: wouldn't it be a good idea if it was possible to "shove" an armed grenade out of the way by hitting the melee key while close to it? Of course, the act of shoving a grenade aside/over a sandbag would require its own set of animations, but it would make a lot of sense if your soldier avatar could simply throw away a grenade that landed right next to him.

Upvote 0
Definitely impossible! If I notice it at the edge of my screen, I will not center my view on it.

How about the game automatically groups people together who are within a particular radius and treats them as a squad? Squad commands will always be local. Can something like this work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No- I don't like this idea either-most reasons already stated, but 1 more:
Too much like COD, MOH etc.,etc.,etc.,etc....... I don't think we should be given so much information that one wouldn't realistically get. I do not want an 'indicator' telling me where shots are coming from and I do not want to automatically yell ANYTHING at any time. If I see the grenade- great- I'm outta there, if not- well, tough titties for me! That's the REAL deal and the way I think the game should go.
Just my opinion, and thank you for posting the idea for discussion.
Bernhart

Upvote 0