• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soldier flintch animation when an explosion goes off nearby

sturmfuhrer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
Just wondering, if for example I was watching a player and an explosive charge went off close to his face, but not quite close enough to maime him, will there be an animation of him flintching or possibly taking a step back or will the player model not reach at all with external enviromental factors?

Im thinking along the lines of:

- Hand/arm/sleeve in front of face to protect from shrapenl

- Step back to get clear of blast shrapnel

- Head momentarily tucked down, using helmet as shield

- Hands over ear(s)

Sturm

Last edited:
That's the thing, it doesn't really make sense for grenades. At least not fragmentation grenades. For the Germans HE grenades, it might be a neat trade-off to have it so they are less lethal at distance (but cause more knock-downs) and since they are stick grenades, they can be thrown at least 40% farther. So less injury capability, but longer throwing range and can knock opponents down due to the high explosive blast.

For things like HE tanks shells, or artillery I think the whole "knocking down" effect would be pretty effective. The pressure wave could ignore things like walls and sandbags and cause people to stumble and/or fall down.

If you skip to 0:36 in the trailer, you'll see the officer "flinch" or stumble when the blast goes off. I'm not sure if that's an in-game animation or just an choreographed effect for the trailer, though.

Upvote 0
an explosion that knocks you off your feet leaves you dead, fatally injured and otherwise incapacitated. so no, it is not a "plus" for battlefield 3, as i'm sure it'll be one of those "rambo moments" where you get back up after a 500lb bomb landed 5 feet away from you.

Upvote 0
With RO's streamlined realism for the HOS, I am a bit worried.

(simplified melee, removal of limping and disarming)

From what I recall they wanted to have a complex wound system...

Seems like we have bleeding and death, that's about it.

Going off topic a bit. Any links for this info? If the wounding system is indeed just death and bleeding, then there is no point in having bleeding in the first place...

Upvote 0
an explosion that knocks you off your feet leaves you dead, fatally injured and otherwise incapacitated. so no, it is not a "plus" for battlefield 3, as i'm sure it'll be one of those "rambo moments" where you get back up after a 500lb bomb landed 5 feet away from you.

It doesn't take a lot of force to knock somebody off their feet. On the contrary, if a 500 lb bomb lands next to you you are going to be nothing but mist and entrails.

But a high explosive grenade or tank shell at an optimum distance could cause somebody to fall and still survive.

Upvote 0

not really...

Sometimes you can still fight after being blown over, depending on the distance and size/type of ordnance.

Of course you'll be shellshocked, but its possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
not really...

Sometimes you can still fight after being blown over, depending on the distance and size/type of ordnance.

Of course you'll be shellshocked, but its possible.

an explosion with enough pressure to lift you off the ground will cause enough internal bleeding or fractures to kill or incapacitate you. ie, you are not going to be able get back up and run off like nothing happened.

i highly doubt the system they're planning for battlefield 3 will retain any form of believability. here's how it'll likely go: grenade lands 5 feet away and explodes. the player is launched 5 feet into the air john woo style, possible retaining the ability to shoot. he lands on his back does a barrel roll to crouch and continues on his way.

in reality: grenade lands 5 feet away and explodes, guy dies and falls over. he doesn't fly off like an action hero.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
an explosion with enough pressure to lift you off the ground will cause enough internal bleeding or fractures to kill or incapacitate you. ie, you are not going to be able get back up and run off like nothing happened.

i highly doubt the system they're planning for battlefield 3 will retain any form of believability. here's how it'll likely go: grenade lands 5 feet away and explodes. the player is launched 5 feet into the air john woo style, possible retaining the ability to shoot. he lands on his back does a barrel roll to crouch and continues on his way.

in reality: grenade lands 5 feet away and explodes, guy dies and falls over. he doesn't fly off like an action hero.

I agree with your post mentioned above.

My point was getting knocked down
depending on the distance and size/type of ordnance.

Here's how RO should go: Artillary round lands 60 feet in front of you. Obliterates 2 squadmates and flings you to the ground. Your vision is blurred and you lose control of your character. 5 seconds later you gain ability to move your character, however vision and hearing is severely damaged (ie Shellshock.) Over a period of 20 seconds your vision and hearing returns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0