• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Cant see

CrazyJay

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Well, Im having trouble seeing in my map.

I made a new map.
Pasted my building in the map.
Set the ambient Brightness of the level to 85.
When I play the map, all my textures are flat color, and everythign else outside is black.
I never had this problem before.
AND I dont want to work on the lighting yet.

Before Map Switch:
Shot00006.jpg

Shot00002.jpg

Shot00001.jpg

After Map Switch:
Dark3.jpg

Dark1.jpg

Dark2.jpg

Upvote 0
Still having trouble.
What kinda of setup would I need to have so I can play the game with lighting that is similar to a viewport in 'textured' mode

omg that bright?!!

i would put your lights at 45 brightness

But you can also spread out your light have fewer of them and just extend the light radious

EX: Brightness 25
Radious 750

Upvote 0
If you Rebuild Geometry but not Lighting BSP will be unlit. StaticMeshes will still be black though. To fix that give your map an ambient brightness of 64 (StaticMeshes are affected by ambient brightness twice so it's actually 128, which equals "unlit").

With these two steps your map will look like in "textured mode".

Alternatively you could just enable "textured mode" ingame, of course.:)
Type rmode 6 in the console. rmode 5 enables the normal lit view again.
rmode 1 is wireframe view, btw. Could come in handy too.

Upvote 0
on that note: sorry for slightly off topic question.

why do staticmeshes use almbientlighting x 2?

also after the lighting is finalized can we extract terrain lightmap darked/lighten it up then reimport to modify the lighting on the terrain? on that note can we make the lightmap bigger like 256x/y->512x/y and then redo lightmap in the editor then export it edit it and reimport?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no idea why ambient lighting is applied twice. Maybe once per vertex when lighting is applied and once again per StaticMesh because it would have been easier and more efficient this way but they kept the per vertex change too due to an oversight? No idea. It just happens and it's annoying.

You can export, modify and reimport the lightmap of terrains but making it bigger to get sharper shadows doesn't work. Unfortunately.

Upvote 0