• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deathmessages to include 'shot through cover' icon

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
I got to thinking today, and i was thinking that with the added bullet penetration system which many new players will not be used to in games, a lot of people could think somebody was cheating when they get shot through a wooden box for instance.
It seems to me a simple solution would be to add a small [] (<- should resemble something like a wall) icon to the deathmessages, so people can see it is actually something the game supports and is not a cheat.
It would look something like this:
SiC (mg34) [] randomdude

Instead of just:
SiC (mg34) randomdude

I think this could prevent a lot of mudslinging online.

I don't really see the point in this, given that even mainstream gamers have been widely subjected to bullet penetration via CoD by now. I honestly don't think it will be an issue.

Heck you'd probably have alot more people complaining that they can't shoot through walls and stuff than vise versa.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
Bullet penetration is as old as Half-Life and maybe even older. In Counter Strike there never was a shot through cover icon and nobody complains.

It's pretty much obvious that bullets and tank rounds penetrate tree twigs, fences made of 2cm thick wooden boards, barracks made of 1,2mm thick metal sheet, unless you actually do live in fantasy world of RO:Ost - in such case shock and trauma caused by 88mm round not being stopped by window frame will put you into coma for years...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually a single sandbag wall(with only one single layer in depht) is not even enough to hold back 7,6mm... So theoretically this penetration icon would have to show up inumerous times and for all kind of surfaces/obstacles.

But to be honest so far I have never had to ban anyone for cheating or hacking in RO nor DH. You got your inapropriate names, tkers, bs talkers but eversinc playing RO I seriously never saw a hack/cheat with my own eyes live and therefore little crying by "vigilantes".

People(at least the ones i play with and me) that play games like RO usually care about the realism and the gameplay mechanics.So why adapt a game to some "rotten apples" if the grand majority of the players actually exactly enjoys the way the game works?

Theoreticallyl for a very very very relaxed realism mode personally I could say, ok let them learn and see what the game is all about.
On the other hand, despite not being a huge steam a achievement hunter, in such a relaxed mode you should not be able to earn as much experience(if at all), points or whatever towards achievements nor Hero status.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well i agree with all of you guys actually, it's just something i thought of bringing up after i remembered there is also for example a distance indicator in the death messages now, which supposedly has to help the player. I was just thinking of extra's, though my own preferred way of playing would most definitely be without deathmessages too.

Upvote 0
I like the idea but, it defeats me to say I like because i made a thread saying death messages should be optional to throw out the door, but I am an open-minded person, for those who like death messages it's a fantastic idea... but then you get people saying "HACKER how'd you know I was there?!" (note to whoever reads this: we need a "rage face") so it has its ups and downs.

Hehe, I did the troll reply; post without looking at what others said, but I looked at it all now. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People will learn it in RR and then they come to play in Hardcore mode.

I don't like the OP idead, for now. -1

You are correct.

BTW, it is confirmed that when you kill someone, the icon shows the range. I sure hope that will only be true for the one making the kill. Because if the guy who dies gets the range, he'll have an easier way to get revenge, and thats IMO, bad for gameplay.

Upvote 0