• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF Ethics

All of the stock maps and content should be fine. If you want to use custom content from someone elses map, Id try to get their permission first. If they cant be reached then I wouldnt use it.

All the assets in KF have been played out to the extreme though, so any custom content you bring in yourself would be refreshing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What he said. Everything that came with KF is fair game, but everyone's using it, obviously, so it may look over-used now. Your choice though and if you think you can do something original with it, go ahead.

Custom maps usually come with a readme in which authors can specify if they want to allow you to use content from their maps. If they don't have a readme or a readme without a clause about their content try to contact them and ask them personally for permission.
If you can't contact them, don't use anything!

If you have permission to use content and you use it, give the original author credit in your readme!

Btw. even if their readme says you're allowed to use their stuff it's polite to also drop them a note. Not so much to ask for permission but just to tell them their stuff is going to get used and maybe a thank you. Knowing their work is appreciated makes everybody happy. :)

You can use everything you find in my maps for KF projects. Don't copy whole chunks of the levels (i.e. don't just make a lights-out version), but feel free to take models, textures, sounds, brushes, emitters, etc.

If you need textures cgtextures.com is an excellent site with loads of quality textures and very lenient licensing.

Reactions: _Duke_
Upvote 0
Murphy has the same views as myself in relation to using other folks content, and also for using any content I may have made. If I get a little mention in the readme, that comes with the map, then that is enough recognition that I would look for. It is nice to know that the content I may have made is appreciated by another mapper out there.

Upvote 0