• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Improve pistols/machine-gun from RO

My understanding is the translucent tracers you see in DH better simulates daylight tracer fire.

Hopefully, it'll be closer to that.

Pistols actually do sound like toys, but Ramm mentioned they're adding a little low end bass to the guns that aren't really there to better convey the oomph of firing the gun. I don't know if that's only in rifle rounds, or carries over to pistol rounds.

As to the inaccuracy of the pistols, I figure TWI used real world stats to figure out grouping statistics.

Upvote 0
Pistols are by no means accurate weapons, i know most games portray them as scope-less sniper rifles, but that is not the reality of it, they have small barrels, the sight apeture is very short, and they do not have a stock or even a forward grip to steady your aim (well there do exist a few oddball examples, but it's not the norm).
And to make matters worse, their action and short barrels don't do good things for the recoil either.

I do feel RO overdid it a bit, the accuracy should have been a bit better than it was, but not by a whole lot, pistols are short range only weapons, their only advantage is their small size and light weight, they are handy little things you can easilly bring with you.

Likewise, pistol rounds do not sound like the end of the world when they are ignited, like you hear in hollywood movies, look at how small thease bullets are, and how little gunpowder there is actually room for inside thouse small casings..

Now imagine a firecracker that small, it probably woulden't sound very impressive now would it? There's just not enough powder in that small a package to make a big bassy "BOOOOOM!", it would be more like a small "Pop!" or "Crack!".

Well the same is true of a pistol round, there's just not enough powder in there to make a big "BOOOM!", pistols don't really sound like that.

Upvote 0
I think the whole sound issue with the pistols completely depends on the caliber and where it's bieng fired from. I've shot plenty of different types of pistols at my local 25 yard range (indoors), and I can tell you 100% that in those concrete walled rooms a 1911 sounds like a god damned cannon going off in your ear. And that's with hearing protection on. On the other end of the spectrum, I've used my 9mm at an outdoor range a few times (much less then indoor) and I felt comfortable shooting it with ought plugs in. That's not to say it was quiet, but it definitely was not ear bursting sound like at the indoor range.

Upvote 0
Pistols are by no means accurate weapons, i know most games portray them as scope-less sniper rifles, but that is not the reality of it, they have small barrels, the sight apeture is very short, and they do not have a stock or even a forward grip to steady your aim (well there do exist a few oddball examples, but it's not the norm).
And to make matters worse, their action and short barrels don't do good things for the recoil either.

I do feel RO overdid it a bit, the accuracy should have been a bit better than it was, but not by a whole lot, pistols are short range only weapons, their only advantage is their small size and light weight, they are handy little things you can easilly bring with you.

Likewise, pistol rounds do not sound like the end of the world when they are ignited, like you hear in hollywood movies, look at how small thease bullets are, and how little gunpowder there is actually room for inside thouse small casings..

Now imagine a firecracker that small, it probably woulden't sound very impressive now would it? There's just not enough powder in that small a package to make a big bassy "BOOOOOM!", it would be more like a small "Pop!" or "Crack!".

Well the same is true of a pistol round, there's just not enough powder in there to make a big "BOOOM!", pistols don't really sound like that.

Indoors they sound very loud but outdoors they don't sound very loud.

I heard the M38 carbine is extremely loud indoors.

Upvote 0
Indoors they sound very loud but outdoors they don't sound very loud.

Loud, more intensive, yes, that's the effect of the echo beeing tossed back at you in a confined space (especially if you are shooting in a small booth), and that will be true of any sound really.

But the perception of volume and sound intensity is not really what i'm talking about here, because that doesen't really exist in games and movies anyway, entertainment products aren't made so they can deafen the audience, that would be kinda.. not good.

It's the use of pitch and tone i'm on about, because most movies and games use rather unrealistic sounds for dramatic effect, they put so much bass in them, they practically make a 9mm Beretta sound like Naval artillery guns, it's way over the top.

RO didn't do that, the sounds are actually quite realistic, but people have come the expect the Hollywood Drama treatment, and say "it sounds kinda weak" because they don't have all the bass in the sound.

Upvote 0
Loud, more intensive, yes, that's the effect of the echo beeing tossed back at you in a confined space (especially if you are shooting in a small booth), and that will be true of any sound really.

But the perception of volume and sound intensity is not really what i'm talking about here, because that doesen't really exist in games and movies anyway, entertainment products aren't made so they can deafen the audience, that would be kinda.. not good.

It's the use of pitch and tone i'm on about, because most movies and games use rather unrealistic sounds for dramatic effect, they put so much bass in them, they practically make a 9mm Beretta sound like Naval artillery guns, it's way over the top.

RO didn't do that, the sounds are actually quite realistic, but people have come the expect the Hollywood Drama treatment, and say "it sounds kinda weak" because they don't have all the bass in the sound.

Your right, Naval artillery guns is exactly what I'm thinking, they make 9mm handguns sound like that but then nothing is left over for the big guns, they all sound the same.

Upvote 0
Your right, Naval artillery guns is exactly what I'm thinking, they make 9mm handguns sound like that but then nothing is left over for the big guns, they all sound the same.

That's exactly the problem, if you make the pistols sound as impressive as possible, then where are you going to go from there? how are you going to top that for the bigger guns that should sound even more impressive? you can't just up the volume, then we coulden't play it with headphones on..

It's a mistake often made, and one RO graciously avoided, so yeah.. don't fix what ain't broken really.

Upvote 0
That's exactly the problem, if you make the pistols sound as impressive as possible, then where are you going to go from there? how are you going to top that for the bigger guns that should sound even more impressive? you can't just up the volume, then we coulden't play it with headphones on..

It's a mistake often made, and one RO graciously avoided, so yeah.. don't fix what ain't broken really.

Your right, in BC2 your M4 sounded just as loud as a tank blowing up next to you, when I played RO for the first time and a tank blew up near me I was like WOW!

Upvote 0
Arma 2 is a good example of what RO 2 shouldn't be.

first of all, you want it to be more like call of duty. secondly, i didn't say i want it to be like arma 2. i said the tracer effects in arma 2 are a good example. learn to read.

Tracers do bounce. How is the bouncing unconvincing?

YouTube - tracers bouncing off water.avi

YouTube - Machine Gun Tracer Fire

Maybe not enough loss of velocity after the hit.

my problem is not with the bouncing, but the behavior of the bouncing. looks way too droppy and slow.

Upvote 0