• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tier 3 Medic Weapons

Panimu

May 15, 2009
Just some ideas for new medic weapons. Remember any numbers are just figurative, if any of these strikes a dev's imagination I'm sure they know better than I.

Biotic splatgun - has two ammo types, both stick to surfaces or characters. Primary to zeds, secondary to players only. Should probably be heavy enough that with no splat gun and medic gun no other gun can be carried. Slow fire rate, e.g. only two primary ammos could be in play at once.

-- primary ammo launches a sticky biomass that on impact does X damage to everything in Y radius. Then does a further amount of damage to any zed that is in it's range (stops doing damage if they get out of range of the mass) until it expires.
-- secondary ammo heals each player in impact zone for 50, then each player in range of the mass (5m?) heals for a further 50 over 10 seconds. Gun holds less secondary then primary ammo. Do note also that it is ammo, not infinite like dart/syringe.

Deployabale armour- looks like a weapon slot but it just allows a medic to buy 1-3 sets of armour that they can then chuck around. Limitation, these armours can not be picked up by the person who threw them down. This is both to stop medics uber tanking and also so they don't accidently pick it up when at 99% armour and trying to gift. Also shouldn't be *as* cheap as buying armour for himself.

Two issues with the gun:

1. KF may or may not directly support a gun having two purchasable ammo types. You could have a recharging or non-recharging count for the secondary fire, but the trader probably isn't coded to sell two types of ammo for one gun.

2. What if the biomass blocks the hallway? If it is powerful enough to kill a clot walking through it and it lasts more than 45 second, it would be too powerful, but anything less would not be worthwhile. The issue is that there is not active aiming to it so no way to reward or hurt the player except for the initial placement of the mass. And wouldn't the specs just avoid it like they do 'nades?

6 medics all with deploy-able armor packs. Problem specimen? :troll:

Upvote 0
1. Could still work as shared ammo with 2 modes of firing.

2. I was thinking more like a 5 second duration really. 45 seconds with my comment about only being able to fire fast enough to stack two.. that'd be an awesome rate of fire :D So the question then becomes if a clot at full health enters the aura of the biosplat and crosses the full diameter, how much damage should it take? Probably somewhere between 45-75%.

3. Hmm, ok, medics can't pick up deployed armour period! So would it be an issue of people quickly deplying armour in trade time then switching to a regular perk? Similar things already happen with pipebombs of course. Maybe instead of deploying (dropping it) to the floor the medic slaps it on someone, like a syringe use. Animation for that seems .. problematic.

Upvote 0
Tossing some ideas out:

Sonic Gun
Primary Fire - Directed soundwaves shoot from the gun, causing wild vibrations in soft tissues in front of it. Stuns zeds and eventually pops some heads like in Scanners.
Secondary Fire - Generates a white noise field to reduce/cancel out Siren screams and repel Crawlers (their arachnid senses are more sensitive to the sound).

Medical Syringe (melee only)
Primary Fire - Injects adrenaline into the target, temporarily increasing the affected teammate's movement speed, reloading rate, and damage with melee weapons. Effect lasts X seconds.
Secondary Fire - Injects painkiller into the target, granting the target an immediate 50 health points (up to 150) which drain over the next X seconds.

Upvote 0
Tossing some ideas out:

Sonic Gun
Primary Fire - Directed soundwaves shoot from the gun, causing wild vibrations in soft tissues in front of it. Stuns zeds and eventually pops some heads like in Scanners.
Secondary Fire - Generates a white noise field to reduce/cancel out Siren screams and repel Crawlers (their arachnid senses are more sensitive to the sound).

Medical Syringe (melee only)
Primary Fire - Injects adrenaline into the target, temporarily increasing the affected teammate's movement speed, reloading rate, and damage with melee weapons. Effect lasts X seconds.
Secondary Fire - Injects painkiller into the target, granting the target an immediate 50 health points (up to 150) which drain over the next X seconds.

I feel that the sonic gun would be pretty pointless. Countering the siren's scream will never be as effective as the whole team's firepower, consideing that she doesn't have a lot of health.

On the other, the medical syringue sounds pretty interesting. I can say I'd love to see that one get in the game as a mut. :)

Upvote 0
I feel that the sonic gun would be pretty pointless. Countering the siren's scream will never be as effective as the whole team's firepower, consideing that she doesn't have a lot of health.

On the other, the medical syringue sounds pretty interesting. I can say I'd love to see that one get in the game as a mut. :)

Yeah -- I am not sure it would be worthwhile either. Like some other people have said, I like the idea of the Medic as using experimental/slightly-fantastic weaponry, however naturally all of his weapons should fill some role in team support.

The main purpose behind the idea of cancelling out siren screams though is less about protecting the players (although sometimes Sirens can be a pain, especially with the Christmas update and their hard-to-hear scream) and more about protecting critical Pipe Bombs that you need when those FP/Scrake/Siren squads spawn.

I like the Syringe idea as well, and it actually strikes me that it'd be fairly easy to implement, so I am going to go work on that actually.

Upvote 0