• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pistol Limitations?

Pistol Limitations?

• Yes

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Needs more thought

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I don't know/care

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Wait we had pistols?!

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Well, I wouldn't be opposing an additional random load of 10% pistols.

SO in addition of NCO's and Officers, there would be a certain ammount of random pistols handed out. This somehow reflects that a lot of soldiers picked up pistols (if found) as a PDW or as a trophy.

Also, the second a third gunner in a German HMG squad only had a pistol.

Upvote 0
Well in real life only officers (platoon commanders), snipers, and MG's were issued pistols, remember in RO pistols are actually pretty effective because they don't take 9 shots to kill a person....

HOWEVER pistols were often used by soldiers who weren't issued them, they would be bartered for and aquired on the battlefield, so I think that depending on the unit fighting, if its a more experienced and grizzled, there should be more pistols issued out to troops, maybe nco's and elites.

Upvote 0
The Russian PTRD users in ROOST also were given pistols for defense instead of a SMG or rifle. With the new weight system in RO:HoS perhaps it will be optional equipment for a few classes, if not all. If it is indeed optional it would just be a matter of preference.

A PTRD weighs 17 kg, so I wouldn't want to be carrying an additional 2 kg/3 kg with me.

Also, IMO, heroes and veterans should get pistols. They've fought and killed a lot, and have almost certainly had the chance to aquire a pistol in their fighting.

Upvote 0
Well in real life only officers (platoon commanders), snipers, and MG's were issued pistols, remember in RO pistols are actually pretty effective because they don't take 9 shots to kill a person....

Are you saying that you need 9 shots to kill a person in real life?

If yes, you are wrong. 7,62x25 and 9mm Parabellum were pretty effective (especially 7,62). Two shots in stomach or chest would likely end someone's life (maybe not instantly, but sorely).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you saying that you need 9 shots to kill a person in real life?

no elliot, he's comparing it to eg bc2 etc where the pistols had perfect accuracy/range* so vs the assault rifles, they made the pistols do crappy plinking damage so people wouldn't run around with them out all the time, as compared to ro where the pistols have relatively rubbish accuracy so you can just cap people with them :p

*note here - the pistols in bc2, however accurate they are, actually have something ~0.2 degrees deviation, to stop people shooting 250m against snipers and winning

Upvote 0
no elliot, he's comparing it to eg bc2 etc where the pistols had perfect accuracy/range* so vs the assault rifles, they made the pistols do crappy plinking damage so people wouldn't run around with them out all the time, as compared to ro where the pistols have relatively rubbish accuracy so you can just cap people with them :p

*note here - the pistols in bc2, however accurate they are, actually have something ~0.2 degrees deviation, to stop people shooting 250m against snipers and winning

If he really meant that, I apologize.

Upvote 0
If he really meant that, I apologize.

I meant in other shooters everyone gets a sidearm but its very weak, in RO its actually more useful in CQC compared to bolts.
If I understood you right Chadwiick, you want just pistols for NCOs and COs.
So what about snipers or MG gunners and PTRD gunners who got a pistol as a sidearm? As it was already in RO1.

Like I said before, pistols were standard for officers, MG, snipers, and PTRD crewman, but not for everyone else, I think that if the unit is more experienced then NCO's and elites should get them too.

Heroes should always get pistols.

Upvote 0
If TWI wants to really stick with historical accuracy, they won't do something stupid like give everyone and their mother a pistol. This isn't historically accurate and it's not good for gameplay.

With maps where the majority of soldiers are bolt-action rifleman, we'll see nothing but NYPD-style pistol shootouts at close range on every single urban map. Talk about killing immersion. The ONLY classes that should get pistols from spawn are officers (commander, squad leader, etc), AT weapon crews, machine gunners, and snipers -- just like in RO1. Maybe having a pistol as a side arm could be something a hero or highly ranked character could have as an option.

And besides, there's something really fun about FINDING a pistol on the ground when you are a rifleman. It's like, "Oh ****, here's a pistol! better grab it before someone else does ... this could come in handy." I just hate it when games give pistols to everyone to "balance" things out when that really makes no sense in real life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If TWI wants to really stick with historical accuracy, they won't do something stupid like give everyone and their mother a pistol. This isn't historically accurate and it's not good for gameplay.

With maps where the majority of soldiers are bolt-action rifleman, we'll see nothing but NYPD-style pistol shootouts at close range on every single urban map. Talk about killing immersion. The ONLY classes that should get pistols from spawn are officers (commander, squad leader, etc), AT weapon crews, and snipers -- just like in RO1.

And besides, there's something really fun about FINDING a pistol on the ground when you are a rifleman. It's like, "Oh ****, here's a pistol! better grab it before someone else does ... this could come in handy." I just hate it when games give pistols to everyone to "balance" things out when that really makes no sense in real life.

I think that on most maps only platoon commanders, MG, PTRD, and snipers should get pistols, but on maps where a team is supposed to be really experienced, then I think squad leaders and elites should get them too.

Upvote 0