• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

killing floor rehaul

gears1992

Dec 27, 2010
I think that killing floor is awesome for starters. However I feel as if it is missing a lot of material.
Guns: for one the selection is very small so adding some more weapons would be great. Like an actual sniper rifle, different kinds of grenades, perhaps a mini gun. Those are just off the top of my head. Or give us the ability to upgrade the weapons
Class changes:
Medic: more medic specific guns, shock paddles to revive dead allies (like in left 4 dead 2), medkit that doesn't need reloading or shorter reload down by at least 75%, and perhaps a chance of revival ability (like if you die you could answer a quick question or something if you get it right you come back before the end of the wave limited to one time only)
Commando: bigger guns should be available, knife and any other melee weapon should do more damage, faster reloading, and perhaps an execution ability
Sniper: more weapons with scopes should be available, should run faster and/or be able to avoid clot grappling, and perhaps some sort of stealth ability.
demolition: should start with full grenades and/or 2 mines, perhaps the ability of a sticky grenade or chain explosives or minor explosive rounds to demolition specific guns.
Support: should carry extra ammo, should be able to give others ammo, should start with a a hand cannon instead of a 9mm, perhaps a sentry gun ability.
Berserker: should be able to have at least 25% more maximum health or start with armor, start off with an axe instead of a knife, perhaps the rage ability making every slice a 1 hit kill for a limited duration probably use either damage taken or by number of kills.
Fire bug: should have more weapons if possible or weapons with incendiary rounds, should have failsafe explosion when dead, the abiliy of immolate (causing the ground to burn for a duration)
In turn with leveling up the classes to get their perks there should be a separate leveling system that can allow for player to have earned perks by leveling: dexterity (speed), (strength ( melee damage and carrying weight), endurance (health) and a single point to go towards weapon specialization like if you like the cross bow you can make your character slightly better with it.

Reactions: Demon_333
I can't see a sniper rifle being too useful, there isn't exactly a massive amount of space in most maps, and I think a mini-gun would just be plain silly. See Patty.

You can already revive people by finishing a wave, although I suppose this could work on the Medic, it might defeat the purpose of waves being hard though...

Medics can make the syringe's cooldown shorter by a massive amount, most medics at level 6 barely have to wait between healing themselves, let alone other people. I don't think people would like to answer quick questions in order to respawn. Killing Floor isn't really a puzzle game.

The Commando having bigger guns might work, you'd have to elaborate. Extra damage with the knife would be funny, I suppose it would come in handy when they run out of ammo.

Sharpshooters with more scoped stuff? That would be pretty cool to see, Sharpies able to chuck scopes on their guns. When you say stealth, I just really hope you don't mean Invisibility. I could understand sneaking around though.

Demo's with extra grenades/grenade properties? Sure, they're the demolition guys, why not get extra stuff on their grenades? I suppose the ideas you mentioned would need alot of balancing, but I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Sentry guns and extra ammo? That sounds pretty fancy, being able to run over to my Support guy and have him fill me up would be pretty nice.

Berserkers already start with armor once they hit perk level 6, (HoE not included) and a rage ability might be a little silly. They're British soldiers, not Viking barbarians.

Firebugs being able to explode upon death would be pretty cool, the team would have to be careful they weren't anywhere near him during death ;).

I think character statistics and weapon specialization would turn this game into a bit too much of an RPG, you can level Perks, but it's still an FPS with ZED's.

Weapon Specialization worked in games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, but I don't think it would do so well in Killing Floor.

Of course, it could work if Tripwire bastardized it enough so that it would fit in.

Nice ideas, I don't personally think they could all work out too well, but they're inventive none-the-less.

Upvote 0
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing maybe one extra weapon to each group. But I don't think we need a lot of them. As someone else said, most people don't know how to use the ones we have. :p

A lot of the abilities mentioned are either given by leveling up... or are just too broken to be in the game.

I think that a sort of "aggro" modifier could be a good idea though. Have Berserkers be a higher priority target for the Zeds. I don't know how exactly targets are chosen, but have Zerks higher on the hit list, and maybe put Medics lower on the list. As a "hidden" class ability.

A turret ability would be pretty overpowered, unless in exchange the class that got it was reduced in other ways.

A sniper rifle wouldn't work too well, as there's not much room for the most part. We don't really have huge open stages (except for some of the custom maps).

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a graphical touch-up to the game. I mean, it looks okay, if a little dated. And I wouldn't want it being one of those resource hog games, that sacrifice gameplay for graphics. But maybe a bit more detail on Zeds/players/weapons would be nice. Perhaps just an notch higher on the graphics settings, so it's optional.

I would like to see more added to the game, simply because I've been playing this for quite a while. And while I still have a blast... I do kind of get that "been there, done that" feel.

Upvote 0
Fire bug: should have more weapons if possible or weapons with incendiary rounds, should have failsafe explosion when dead, the abiliy of immolate (causing the ground to burn for a duration)

Hahaha, this I like. Have the Firebug blow up like an incendiary grenade when he dies. In addition to being funny, it would provide a bit of compensation for getting killed.

It might also be interesting to give the Demo the ability to blow himself up, like a pipe bomb, as a last-ditch suicide attack. I have seen players in hopeless situations throw grenades at their feet, trying to take as many specimens with them as possible. Blowing yourself up to save your team from a rampaging Fleshpound would make for great drama.

But I'm sure these have both been suggested before.

Upvote 0
Hahaha, this I like. Have the Firebug blow up like an incendiary grenade when he dies. In addition to being funny, it would provide a bit of compensation for getting killed.

It might also be interesting to give the Demo the ability to blow himself up, like a pipe bomb, as a last-ditch suicide attack. I have seen players in hopeless situations throw grenades at their feet, trying to take as many specimens with them as possible. Blowing yourself up to save your team from a rampaging Fleshpound would make for great drama.

Pipebomb hat + Suicide bomb when you die because of said pipebomb hat.

Oh god. This would be very nice.

Upvote 0
However I feel as if it is missing a lot of material

No , you are wrong.

Guns: for one the selection is very small so adding some more weapons would be great. Like an actual sniper rifle, different kinds of grenades, perhaps a mini gun. Those are just off the top of my head. Or give us the ability to upgrade the weapons

Like COD? Seriously? Minigun = OP , Sniper Rifle = Suggested a TON of times

Medic: more medic specific guns.... bla bla bla

Leave medic alone , he's fine as it is now.

Commando: bigger guns should be available, knife and any other melee weapon should do more damage, faster reloading, and perhaps an execution ability

Yet again , COD commando perk?

Support: should carry extra ammo, should be able to give others ammo, should start with a a hand cannon instead of a 9mm, perhaps a sentry gun ability.

I can barely afford my ammo as Support ( on HoE). A handcannon? Give that to sharpy.

In turn with leveling up the classes to get their perks there should be a separate leveling system that can allow for player to have earned perks by leveling: dexterity (speed), (strength ( melee damage and carrying weight), endurance (health)...

This reminds me of an old game..

I disagree with the rest , except for firebug.

Upvote 0
Answers in green:

Medic: more medic specific guns, shock paddles to revive dead allies (like in left 4 dead 2), medkit that doesn't need reloading or shorter reload down by at least 75%, and perhaps a chance of revival ability (like if you die you could answer a quick question or something if you get it right you come back before the end of the wave limited to one time only)

Having a revive feature would make the game far too easy, since you can already heal for free and you come back to life after every round.

Sniper: more weapons with scopes should be available, should run faster and/or be able to avoid clot grappling, and perhaps some sort of stealth ability.

There's no sniper class, but I assume you're referring to sharpshooter. I can't see why it'd need closer range capability (faster movement speed, clot grab avoidance) since it's designed for longer ranges. Giving it berserker advantages would make it too powerful.

demolition: should start with full grenades and/or 2 mines, perhaps the ability of a sticky grenade or chain explosives or minor explosive rounds to demolition specific guns.

Some other weapons like sticky grenades and remotely-detonated explosives would be nice, although spawning with full grenades would probably be too easy.

I'd like to see it be able to carry more ammo too, and to be able to give out ammo to other players. Sentry gun, maybe - if it could be balanced so that it has a short life span, isn't super accurate, and doesn't have too much ammunition. Being able to just camp by a sentry gun the entire round would be OP, so it'd have to be balanced just right.

Berserker: should be able to have at least 25% more maximum health or start with armor, start off with an axe instead of a knife, perhaps the rage ability making every slice a 1 hit kill for a limited duration probably use either damage taken or by number of kills.

At level 6 you spawn with armour and a chainsaw. Not sure I'd agree with a rage ability, instead I'd suggest that the berserker simply maintains his regular run speed when on critical health (instead of moving slowly).

I agree the fire bug needs more weapons, and one that could set part of the landscape on fire (thus igniting any enemies that walk near it) would be very useful.

In turn with leveling up the classes to get their perks there should be a separate leveling system that can allow for player to have earned perks by leveling: dexterity (speed), (strength ( melee damage and carrying weight), endurance (health) and a single point to go towards weapon specialization like if you like the cross bow you can make your character slightly better with it.

I'm not sure how well this would work with the current KF, but perhaps in the future or as part of a mod I'd like to see it.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'll try and tackle some of these, pretending as if no one else has here;)

Shock paddles- I may agree that the medic needs a little more variation, but shock paddles would be the wrong way to do it. As is, our healing and respawn system is pretty forgiving, with unlimited healing and resawns at the end of waves.

Sniper Rifle- this is by far the most common suggestion, and yet the number of times this suggestion is done without being inbalanced or a crossbow wannabe is rather rare.

Minigun- not really balanced. If you want a heavy machine gun, at least make it be cumbersome, still have reloading, and other features. A chaingun/minigun straight from TF2 would be rather unacceptable in this game

Commando- wait....why do they get melee weapon bonuses? The perk is one for assault/battle rifles, not to be taken literally. I mean, melee weapons are a good zerker weapon, and it makes no sense in-game to give these to the commando. Also, a heavier weapon seems a tad unnessecary, but I would like it if you made a case for it.

Sharpshooter- well, it seems a tad unbalanced once again to allow the sharp to skip out of melee, it's biggest weakness. If a sharpshooter managed to get itself into a clot fest with an xbow, then something is wrong. And more scoped weapons would be nice, but it also would be excellent to give more details.:D

Demolitions- get it to level 5, and you will start with 2 pipes already. I'll leave the nade chains to those who better understand what this would mean in-game

Support- wait, why a handcannon? It already gets a spawning shotgun later on, I am confused as to the desired handcanon. As for a sentry gun, it just doesn't fit the balance or atmosphere in my opinion. If something other than you is shooting, it should be at you:D. As for ammo carrying, I have seen some good cases for and against. I kind of like the idea, if it came at a cost of weight (supports already can do a slightly more costly version of carrying other's guns now anyways)

Berserker- well, it already has a considerable damage reduction as you level that acts as extra health, and does spawn with armor later on. However, perhaps if zerkers spawned with a machete replacing the knife, that could be an interesting option. And for raging, perhaps Ben's idea could work.

Firebug- well, more weapons are always nice, but it is rather vague. As for a self-destruct mechanism, sort of like pipebomb hats or the wtfmod weapon, that could actually be awesome if done right. As for immolation, I personally support the wtfmod flamethrower's ability to leave a temporary fire trail on the ground, if thats what your talking about

As for the seperate system, I'm not too fond of the summary, but I could change on that if you elaborated. However, I believe that these named ideas are already associated with perks (weight capacity gets higher with support, speed gets higher with zerker and medic, health gets higher with zerker and the medic's armor)

I think that's everything:D

Upvote 0
Not to mention as most have shown the games your telling me that my ideas spring from also are like other games... what in saying is most gamers play one to two styles of games and almost all are more or less the same sure a few things are different some even have new great ideas but if you haven't noticed games with those new concepts don't usually make it because people don't like change... most of you probably see my ideas as bad because one of the great thands about this game is that it is simple its concepts and controls and goals are extremely simple and anyone can pick it up and play it with put so much as a thought other than click the mouse to pull the trigger and hope the guy im following knows where he's going... im sorry that most of you don't like to think and that's the problem with most fps's... it requires no thought what so ever adding an rpg element would give a bit of thought to it but not much and if you don't like my ideas give constructive criticism (a few of you have done that and thank you) but why waste a post on here just to say I don't like it? Sure some of my ideas would have balance issues there are ways of fixing the balance issues... and yeah some are just bad ideas on my part I get that I know that... but seriously some people just don't even like playing online games because they get tired of all the bad attitudes they run into on the game I've been playing since the game came out pretty much my internet has only recently gotten better so that I can play more and from everything I've seen there are balance issues with the classes because everyone chooses either the sharpshooter or commando because the other classes are under powered so I suggested a minor class blending to even them out a little bit.... I've played this game a lot recently and only about 3 games I've play were with good people who really worked together to win most of the time everyone just does their own thing and let's their team die usually causeing the team to lose... if any of this offends you then obviously your one of those people.

Upvote 0