• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Knife and melee glitchy

Rainydaykid

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
TN
Since the update, I have noticed the knife damage is a lot more random now. On HoE, I have decapped a clot with one knife hit to the neck, other times I have literally slashed one 10 times before it died(non zerker). As I recently started using the machete a lot, I have noticed it more, one clean hit will usually decap a clot, but I have seen gores take 5 or 6 machete hits to the neck before they lose their head. The knife is the worst, though, I wouldn't mind the damage being reduced if it would take the same amount of hits every time. Right now, I hesitate to use the knife, because I might kill that clot right away, or I might still be stabbing at it 5 secs later when a crowd walks into me.

The knife was nerfed to make the machete a more appealing weapon. It kind of blows for beserkers that aren't level 5 yet as the the first wave is kind of a pain. As a level five, I used to rock with the knife on wave 1. But now I have to use the chainsaw as the knife is kind of crappy.

Upvote 0
Guys, what game are you playing?
It always takes 2 standard and 1 altfire hit to the head with the knife to decap clots-gorefasts.
Are you sure you hit the head?

I am slicing at the neck, and on 6 man HoE, I have decapped a clot with one regular knife hit, as of yesterday. It was a fresh clot, no one had shot it, I watched it spawn, walked up to it, and slashed at it's neck, where I always aim. It was decapped. This is as a non berserker. I have also slashed at the neck, where I have always aimed, and watched the clot take 8 hits before it was decapped. I have sliced off clot's heads many times with one regular hit to the neck, since the update.

I do have close to 900 hours in this game, so I do know how to use the knife. I have always aimed at the neck when slashing at specimens. I understand you asking this, but I am not just some random n00b that just got the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Knife got nerfed. Machete is about as strong as the knife used to be. There are no random damage values for melee anymore, so...yeah. You're probably just missing every now and again.

I could see I was missing once in awhile, but it happens often enough for this not to be the case. I always aim for the neck, and sometimes it takes one hit, sometimes more. It does feel random, and I am not the only one to notice it. Also, kind of hard to miss with a knife or machete, considering they are right in your face.

Even so, if I was completely wrong, the bare minimum on knife should be a decap on clot, with one alt fire hit, 6 man HoE. Anything less, and it is worthless garbage. There is a difference in being absolutely useless, and being a last ditch, but still viable weapon.

I will try to use it extensively tonight, and report back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
YouTube - Killing Floor Berserk

i actually still miss the original knifing animations.....that "backstab" coding bug that recently got "fixed" i believe was due to the original backstab animations being removed.

when the game was first released, primary fire was either a forward slash or jab, and alt-fire was a power backstab (hence the extra damage). pretty sure the randomness was only for the two variations of the primary fire.

Upvote 0
I am slicing at the neck, and on 6 man HoE, I have decapped a clot with one regular knife hit, as of yesterday. It was a fresh clot, no one had shot it, I watched it spawn, walked up to it, and slashed at it's neck, where I always aim. It was decapped. This is as a non berserker. I have also slashed at the neck, where I have always aimed, and watched the clot take 8 hits before it was decapped. I have sliced off clot's heads many times with one regular hit to the neck, since the update.

I do have close to 900 hours in this game, so I do know how to use the knife. I have always aimed at the neck when slashing at specimens. I understand you asking this, but I am not just some random n00b that just got the game.

Well make a video of it then cause I don't get the issues you describe whatsoever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well make a video of it then cause I don't get the issues you describe whatsoever.

It is possible that it is the Christmas zeds, but the clots look about the same sizewise. Are you slicing at the head or neck? The head might take a constant regular number of hits, so you don't notice anything. The neck hits might kill faster but be more glitchy.

Reactions: Doctor Swish
Upvote 0
I am usually slicing that which makes the distinctive sound that I sucessfully hit the head.

Ok, that might be why, I always slice at the neck, and generally if the clot gets stunned and leans its head back, slicing across the neck results in an instant decap. I noticed stalkers take 3 machete hits to die when they are hunched over, if I crouch in front of them and slice upward at their neck, I can decap in one hit.

Upvote 0
By the way, I'm not sure if you realise this, but there's no such thing as "neck shots". Either you hit the head or you don't. If aiming for the neck is producing good results for you, it's because it's resulting in headshots instead.

That is odd then, because I decap a lot more often with "neck shots" than I do with head hits. Might be something built into the code with hitboxes or something. I used to slash at the head, but it never produced as good results as neck hits. If it isn't in the game, it should be.

Upvote 0