• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pipes.price++;=demolition.fun--

vaziocs

Dec 10, 2010
I dont know who had the idea of increasing the pipes bomb price by 100%, but it was a terrible idea and decision.
It used to be fun to play demolition and just mass pipe everywhere, now from the limited amount of guns already, u only have the grenade launchers, and eventually by LEVEL6 or LEVEL7 if ur getting enough kills you can buy 3 or 4 pipe bombs.​

You cant just make extreme changes like that in game without ruining something. I will agree the price was cheap, by last level u couldnt even buy/rebuy and plant all the pipes in time to spend all ur money.
But now u can barely buy 6 pipe bombs without being broke.
So its obvious that a change from 0 to 100% is imbalanced u got settle somewhere in the middle, maybe reduce to 50,75% increase.​

Seriously how much money do you even get from ur pipes? It sure doesnt return the $200 you pay for it. Any special zombie can trigger it,,you spend 200 and only get 40,60,80 back most of the times. Theres nothing imbalanced about massing pipes.
And "if" the problem is the Patriarch, like you wanted to reduce pipes because of the patriarch sure isnt fair to reduce pipes for all the waves because of the last one. Then just make the Patriarch take less damage from pipes or something.​

Theres nothing imbalanced about massing pipes.

I think 90% of the KF community would probably disagree with you on that one. Something had to be done about mass pipe spamming, and upping the price was the most logical, simple thing to introduce, and it works.

Upvote 0
Pipes definitely needed to be reigned in. I personally would've preferred if they had been adjusted so you couldn't place them in such a concentrated way, but it's obviously a lot easier to adjust the price than to write new code on how you're allowed to place them.

This, also ^

It would've been too hard to make an entire new function for the game, so it's best that they just altered a few numeric values but I do feel that it wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce the price just a bit more. Nowaday, I never see anyone use the pipes.

Upvote 0
This, also ^

It would've been too hard to make an entire new function for the game, so it's best that they just altered a few numeric values but I do feel that it wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce the price just a bit more. Nowaday, I never see anyone use the pipes.

True. It could use a slight reduction as-is, particularly for the demolitions perk. A slight reduction would still discourage spamming, and would encourage smart pipe placement, while still encouraging pipe use overall.

Either that, and/or increase the limit of what sets one off.

Upvote 0
You must drop pipebomb intelligently
In a wave 10, HoE with 6 players, there is about 6-8 FP then if you use this powerfull weapon it can be a good solution to give some damage to this one. Personnaly, it's just to use it intelligently as a team.

This exactly. I protect pipes a lot more now, because they are expensive and can help the team.

Upvote 0
Whatever u said considering all coments everyone agrees the prices are too expensive now. And they should drop at least 25%.
My point about mass pipes is just that u really didnt get that much money from it. And now you sure dont get any money. 200 for every pipe and you will only get 200 if u kill a flesh pounder.
And u all seen many times if flesh pounder runs trough the pipe while charging it will explode too late and that happened with other zombies too all the time. Even with mass pipes, a lot of them would explode killing 1 zombie or none.
Ok the huge price increase prevented massing pipes at the extension of pipe bombs barely being used at all. I got be getting enough kills with my grenade launcher, be in 1st on 2nd place, to even consider buying pipes wave 4+.

Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
Upvote 0
Whatever u said considering all coments everyone agrees the prices are too expensive now. And they should drop at least 25%.
My point about mass pipes is just that u really didnt get that much money from it. And now you sure dont get any money. 200 for every pipe and you will only get 200 if u kill a flesh pounder.
And u all seen many times if flesh pounder runs trough the pipe while charging it will explode too late and that happened with other zombies too all the time. Even with mass pipes, a lot of them would explode killing 1 zombie or none.
Ok the huge price increase prevented massing pipes at the extension of pipe bombs barely being used at all. I got be getting enough kills with my grenade launcher, be in 1st on 2nd place, to even consider buying pipes wave 4+.

It's not about profit, it's about surviving. Mass pipes made the game stupidly easy because any large threat would insta-gib. I do agree that pipes should explode quicker, but then that would give YOU less time to move out of the blast radius too if you got clot-grabbed while tossing one.

The game is also not about kills, so that's a moot point too. If you're stressing over not being able to compete in killcount, then you're playing wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
I know the prices of pipes were way too cheap, but then TS does have a point pipes don't do enough damage to justify the price of them, and at 1500 to refill 8 pipes (level 6 demo) it's just way too much. I would settle at maybe 100 a pipe. But at 200 a pipe its just way too much. The prices were upped way too much and lowering them to 100 would be just fine as it doesnt allow spamming since it will still be quite expensive but cheap enough so u can invest in a couple without sacrificing money for grenade launcher ammo.

Upvote 0
Pipe Bombs are fine.

Honestly, I have to disagree. They aren't stupidly broken, but they are a tad too unwieldy, and too potentially ineffectual considering the price.

So really the problem isn't the price, that accomplished what the beta set out to do: Stop pipe spamming. The problem is that you do not get something very reliable for that steep price. It's not a very attractive offer when the most expensive course of action is also the riskiest. 2 full launchers are a much safer and more reliable choice then 4 pipes and 1/2 ammo imo. The chance of mishap when using the LAW is even worse.

Sirens, bloats, piled corpses, other explosives, a charging Scrake/FP....there are way too many ways that a pipe bomb can either be a complete waste of time & money, or even detrimental to you and the team. Like I said in my other post, the game is about survival, and I honestly don't think pipe bombs provide enough boon to survival for the money required to use them. This is just my personal opinion though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, I have to disagree. They aren't stupidly broken, but they are a tad too unwieldy, and too potentially ineffectual considering the price.

But potentially devastating, combine that with a little common sense, and you have a very powerful, useful tool.

The price is fine at the moment.

As for buffs I'd much rather see them detonate faster like you said, or even an increase to the number of zeds it takes to set them off.

Like right now 4 low tier specimen (Clots, Stalkers, Gorefasts and Crawlers) or even a single mid tier specimen (Bloat, Siren and Husk) can set one off.

I'd like to see that increased to something like 8 low tiers or 2 to 3 mid tiers.

Instead of just lowering the price.

Reactions: Salad Snake
Upvote 0