• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapons per squad.

What's the deal with all this talk about "squads"?

Unless they changed the way multiplayer teams work as well, we could be dealing with up to 32 people per "squad" and various weapon/class limits depending on the particular map.

You guys seem to be getting carried away with listing what the limits should be, when really it's all up to the mapper. Yeah there are class limits, and yeah there were maps where each side could use some of the opposition's weapons. Don't worry, everything will be OK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well i guess what started it was that a player could spawn on the commander. From there you would think there would be some kind of break down for people to work together. I wouldn't want the creation of squads to be as open as say BC2 but something along the lines of AA would be great. I would hope there is a way to keep a ratio of 4 riflemen to 1 specialized class and having squads unlock seems like a good way to do that. This would depend on the map but i hope mappers would be able to decide what is in a squad and the size as well.

Upvote 0
Like I said, I think there should be limited amounts of classes but they should be distributed by the commander. The commander should also determine how big the squads are, whether they're 4, 8, 10 12, or even up to 16 players depending on the strategy.

Really big maps might need a bunch of small squads, while a human wave type map might be 2 big squads ETC.

Having mixed classes in each squad would be safe, but putting all your assault, MG, riflemen in one squad could make it more effective.

Upvote 0
Can we also have reinforcements per each class?

In the example below, just 3 players are playing. The total reinforcements are 9 (3 divided by each). So if the machine gunner wastes all reinforcements for machine gunner class, then he can only respawn as rifleman or DM if these still have spare reinforcements.

Rifleman +3 respawns
MG +3 respawns
DM +3 respawns

Upvote 0
This is a good topic, for the squads it depends are you going for historic accuracy or just a balance for the sake of the game? If realism then you'll have to know that the Russians main combat small arms weapon was the PPSH as for most of their military was full of untrained conscripts with so many untrained people not being a good shot you have to give them a "spray and pray" gun, which is what the Russians did, but some people did use rifles but it was not the main weapon. And with the Germans I am not sure but i think they did more of a 50/50 when it comes to the guys with the SMG's and Rifles.

Upvote 0
This is a good topic, for the squads it depends are you going for historic accuracy or just a balance for the sake of the game? If realism then you'll have to know that the Russians main combat small arms weapon was the PPSH as for most of their military was full of untrained conscripts with so many untrained people not being a good shot you have to give them a "spray and pray" gun, which is what the Russians did, but some people did use rifles but it was not the main weapon. And with the Germans I am not sure but i think they did more of a 50/50 when it comes to the guys with the SMG's and Rifles.

What? They made 6 million PPsh's out of 36 million Mosin Nagants....

Do I'd say roughly on average, there should be 1 PPsh for every 6 Mosins.

Upvote 0
What? They made 6 million PPsh's out of 36 million Mosin Nagants....

Do I'd say roughly on average, there should be 1 PPsh for every 6 Mosins.

Well that logic is a bit flawed, because mosin nagants were also carried by troops that are not modeled on Red Orchestras scale (rear line engineers, artillery crews, supply units etc.) while I would imagine that the PPsh41 would be primarily issued to grunts at the frontline.

Upvote 0
What's the deal with all this talk about "squads"?

Unless they changed the way multiplayer teams work as well, we could be dealing with up to 32 people per "squad" and various weapon/class limits depending on the particular map.

You guys seem to be getting carried away with listing what the limits should be, when really it's all up to the mapper. Yeah there are class limits, and yeah there were maps where each side could use some of the opposition's weapons. Don't worry, everything will be OK.

Squads have been implemented in the game, hence the distinction between squad leader and commanding officer.

Upvote 0
Well that logic is a bit flawed, because mosin nagants were also carried by troops that are not modeled on Red Orchestras scale (rear line engineers, artillery crews, supply units etc.) while I would imagine that the PPsh41 would be primarily issued to grunts at the frontline.

Your probably right, I say about 9 PPsh's per team plus squad leaders who may or may not choose them.

I think the commander should be able to put the classes where he wants, either mixed in every squad or put them all in one squad eTC.

Upvote 0
I dont think the commander should gain too much of a power. Like for instance how squads are made up. Like in bf2 personally i feel that people should be able to join whatever squad they feel like joining. Without losing whatever class they were using.

If a squad consists of only rifleman and another of only smgs what is the issue for it if anything in a game it allows squads probably to function better.

Upvote 0
There is really no generic squad TO&E layout to follow for the Germans or Russians. It all depends on what type of unit is being represented on the map. Certain Russian formations had nothing but SMGs and a LMG per squad, others were heavily bolt action. With the Germans at Stalingrad you have to look at different TO&E between your regular infantry divisions and Panzer-Grenadier units which were heavier in automatic firepower.

Personally I imagine the LMG vs SMG vs Rifle ratio for the release will be on the scale of RO when it first came out.

Upvote 0
I dont think the commander should gain too much of a power. Like for instance how squads are made up. Like in bf2 personally i feel that people should be able to join whatever squad they feel like joining. Without losing whatever class they were using.

If a squad consists of only rifleman and another of only smgs what is the issue for it if anything in a game it allows squads probably to function better.

But the players should be able to communicate with the commander request a certain squad, obviously a good commander would put players better with smg's in an smg squad and friends in their own squads ETC.

Upvote 0