• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Next Stage

Okay, with the surge in members, I felt that it would be nice if we actually had a thread where we acted creatively :D. This is it: a thread for ideas of stories, for what happened after the outbreak worsened (aka level up). I believe that, if we really started thinking of it, we could create some nice stories to help either modders of TWI themselves. However, I must say this: having a plot that's basically L4D is not appreciated. Other than that, feel free to go out there and make the best you can. PS: Also, Undead Jester has made an excellent summary of the KFMod/KF plot, so I suggest reading it :D

I shall post mine later....got a bad headcold atm.

Last edited:
I like that idea alot, I would be interested in seeing what people made of the events of what I like to call "Day One".

Maps like Waterworks, Icebreaker, Crash and Foundry might be good places for people to base their stories (or make an appearance), as they definately seem post Outbreak in their description setting. Maps like the standard ones, Wyre and Departed seem to be built or based during or before the outbreak.

I intend on rewriting my Story as well since it is a little rushed no I've re-read it. Once Christmas is over of course (bloody retail... just a quick message to everyone, if you are one of those people who go shopping on Boxing Day to get the discounts... you are officially an asshat. Love J* :) )

Upvote 0
I like that idea alot, I would be interested in seeing what people made of the events of what I like to call "Day One".

Maps like Waterworks, Icebreaker, Crash and Foundry might be good places for people to base their stories (or make an appearance), as they definately seem post Outbreak in their description setting. Maps like the standard ones, Wyre and Departed seem to be built or based during or before the outbreak.

I intend on rewriting my Story as well since it is a little rushed no I've re-read it. Once Christmas is over of course (bloody retail... just a quick message to everyone, if you are one of those people who go shopping on Boxing Day to get the discounts... you are officially an asshat. Love J* :) )

well, it's the best KF plot rescource by far at the moment, I'm sure that when you polish it up, you can turn it into a masterpeice.

As for my current story, I planned on rewriting it right now, but I have finals and a headcold, as stated, so I can't write proper at the moment. It's sort of like that "Fall of Brittania" scenario I said when I was a junior member, but plus all my newfound KF plot knowledge (Masterson will not be left in the cold this time ;)).

Reactions: smalldemon
Upvote 0
Okay, I'm starting to get un-sick now that finals are over, so I am writing an outline of the settings in my "floor-fic". Not really writing, but necessary, fun to come up with (just think "what would happen if the outbreak occured?"), and possibly useful for fellow writer and possible modmakers/TWI.

The Day of Bedlam: The Quarantine has shattered, they have escaped into London...and suddenly, the inernet coverage of whatever is going on stops throughout the world. As the British Prime Minister prepares to make a speech throughout the world, suddenly all communication thorughout the British Isles fails...there is no more contact. The UN quarantine, haphazardly put together after the initial specimen coverage, suddenly becomes more than temporary, as suddenly the Isles are cut off from the outside world.

In New York, as the Security Council meets, there is chaos; is this a plague, some sort of divine or satanic assault? No one knows. There is only one choice for a time like this: total quarantine. There can be no one leaving the Isles at any cost. Because, if it gets off the island, what can stop it from turning Paris, Moscow, Delhi, Beijing, or Washington all into the next "London"s? No; even if they have to sacrafice every life on the Isles, it's better them than everyone. Hundreds of ships and plans and helicopters set out from around the world, as the Channel Tunnel is destroyed by France for good measure.

Shortly after Eastern London becomes overrun, the UKs top army priority is evacuation. Small squads are barely holding back these monsters from catching up. Fleets of refugees sail from the Isle in whatever they can get their hands on to France...only to meet a blockade. At first there is a standstil...until one boat, a rickety old sailboat filled to the brim with survivors, tries to run it. There is a second of indecision in the eyes of the machine gunners before they let loose a wall of lead into the boat. The soldiers tell themselves that its for the greater good as they watch their fellow man ripped to shreds by flying metal.

Protests follow, as the military footage of the act is stolen from UN military files. But these are shortlived, as bigger news came out...the Northern Blockade had shot down a vessel of their own...the HSS IceBreaker. And the bodies they saw drift to the top were not at all right...and the tests showed human DNA in these monsters. It must be a plague. There must be no escape of this disease, no matter the cost.

Meanwhile, in Good 'ol Britain, things have no been going well. London has burned to the ground ages ago; now England as a whole is on fire. The Goverment, however, has reformed in Glascow, and has set up lines of defense in Western Wales and Northern England/Southern Scotland. Seaside forts are sustained by a series of islands. But things are not looking up. Even as the goverment reforms, and the army is organized, there is just too many. And they are getting organized. Massive charges of Gorefast are barely fought off, as the fiends scramble over their dead bretheren, and the dead, pushed forward by the tide, act as a meatsheild for the living. Helicopters must now fly with care, as if they go too low, torrents of fiery explosives come from the surging tide of husks below. oceans of Clots meet any resistance in the country.

There must be a way to end this, the new military Council of Britain thinks. And then a plan is devised: take the grizzled, elite veterans, and storm the labs, and so as much damage as possible to the machines, perhaps removing Kevin from the picture as well. This mulitude of Britain's finest, from Clive Jenkins, to Constable Briar, to DJ Skully, then find themselves in the thick of it a second time, in the ashes of what used to be London. But, as they fight towards the underground, they suddenly are assailed by a torrent of gunfire from the other side. As they hit the ground, they see a large number of men in black assaulting their posistion. They are covered from head to toe in black plates, their faces hidden. The confusion among the ranks of Britains finest is tangible; Bloody hell, they have guns now too? But one man, the most experienced, knows from the gate, from the eyes gleaming through the visor, who it is. "Hello...Masteron."

Upvote 0
Also, a sub plot could be the Specimen advances out to America (remember Suburbs?).

Perhaps a sudden large scale specimen attack tore their way through the blockades and crossed to the North American continent?

It could also add additional tension between countries, as America struggles to purge the insurgency other countries ready nuclear missiles in preparation of America's potential fall.

Oh, and on a side-note, how long would it take for the fine folks at Tripwire to review a thread? Just wondering because I made a thread for some specimen suggestions for my first post :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, a sub plot could be the Specimen advances out to America (remember Suburbs?).

Perhaps a sudden large scale specimen attack tore their way through the blockades and crossed to the North American continent?

Nah, I'm not real big on the whole 'Suburbia' description. I feel it tried to explain to much for one map...but trust me, once the story develops, things may become a little more....international. But in my little epilogue, the next phase of the outbreak is Quarantine, within Britain.

Also, would you mind if I did plot summaries only? I would do a fleshed-out story, but its taking too damn long to fill in the details, and I'm planning too far ahead. This must be what Tolkein or Rowling felt like. (honestly, planning it out, and waiting 6 books and years later to reveal?)

Unless I get confirmation otherwise, I'll stick with the same summary format as I did in my last post.

ALSO: This is not my personal writing experiment, PLEASE post your own stuff here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a second peice just about prepared, but I want to, before I write it, encourage people once again to write their own. I don't want this thread to be MY story, but a collection of ideas from all around the forum, of potential plots, of peices that could be used by TWI or modders.

I know this message may be starting to sound repetetive, but I really can't stress it enough.

Also, @HolyDriver: yes, feel free to do anything you want with your story. It's your creation, so whatever you want to write, feel free to.

also @ Blargtastic KF-Suburbia is a community made map, so the description has been confirmed by Yosh as being not canon. I threw in Icebreaker just as a nice little reference, but the community maps are just inspiration more than actual plot (the only canon maps are those made by TWI or those in the KF-Mod). Also, I will take your suggestions in mind:D

Upvote 0
@Mille_W I hope you do, its my favorite thought experiment yet, I think you may enjoy it:D

Anyways, I think I'll post a continuation of my plot now if y'all don't mind.

Part 2: Resurgance
The old trooper buried rushed with a group of the survivors, into the burnt remnants of the old Horzine offices, and remembered his last visit there. The Mission....how he had, alone, made his way into the Labs. How he had fought Masterson that time. When he had discovered that Horzine had not failed in cloning after all. When he had killed Kevin's Adam, or what he thought to be him. Of course, he thought he'd never have to look into those eyes again. But it was only logical; Kevin had made one Masterson, why could he not make a dozen? A hundred? Who knew what this new menace was capable of. No matter. No matter how many genetic enhancements, no matter how much Horzine armor, they would all die, just as the old one had. He shoved all this behind him, and turned to the matter at hand.

The survivors of the initial attack were already regathering, and were pushing towards the Labs. First upon reaching the ruins, his squad (lets call them Squad A for now), began to descend. For the building had long been demolished. In fact, after He had been extracted, a storm of missiles and bunker-bombs had annihilated anything the fire had spared. Now ruins of twisted cement, steel, and charred wood created a heap, upon which only a broken letter "H", previously Neon, marked as Horzine property. The squad entered a hole made by an attempted bunker strike, and descended into the Lower Levels of the Horzine complex. Into a vast, unused Labyrinth, ruined by the counterstrike, but crawling with Horzine's many...."unorthodox" projects. The team, having recieved a good picture if where to go from the old strike teams, descended. And, as they went further, the complex became more obviously untouched...and alive. Power from a generator unknown to all surged through the corridors, mostly flickering as the lightbulbs begin to die from use. At last the Clamely Complex was reached...but the stairs had been dismantled. He looked about, confused about how to get all the way down, and then remembered how he had before. It was so simple....was it still there? Had it been fixed? He walked over to the nearest elevator and pressed "Down". The doors slid open, and that old, peaceful music poured out. They all walked in, pressed the lowest button, and felt a strange combination of intense peace and dread as they went down floor after floor.

The doors opened...and were welcomed by a greeting party. And by greeting party, I mean one that weilds chainsaws, meatgrinders, and guns. The Labs were tinged red from the alert lights as the they were filled with monstrosities. However, the squads had not gone uprepared. They had brought along a few compact explosives. And suddenly the Labs were filled with chaos. As smells of burning flesh and melting steel filled the air, the team rushed through the chaos deeper into the Labs, until they had reached an area where the steel doors were locked even against the "precious children" of Kevin. Luckily for the team, they had managed to blast their way in attempting to destroy some cloning devices...and were amazed. The labs here were empty. There was no sign that Kevin had let anyone in but himself. Not even a Masterson in sight. There were not hairless freaks in these nor even the usual clones of his old commander...but others. Attempts at creating Kevin's old life, there was even a clone of his dearest son, in a drugged coma. Versions, copies lay along the walls, torn to shreds by Kevin's destructive rages as he attempted to figure out what he wanted, what these were.

Then, they entered the second room. As the team sat in the first fending off zeds and setting charges, He told them to save them. For he had found something far more important then playthings of Clamely's psychotic desires. He had discovered, a large room. Dead scientists lay around, those who had discovered it. And their blood was used to write messages, the same as those found on computers in the room. "I am God" "I am Immortal" "The corrupt shall be overthrown, and my children will inherit the world". But over on the far side of the Lab lay a series of large tanks holding...things. Some were apparently in stages of developement, others were human-sized, and some were developing into monstrosities. He looked closer, and saw a familiar pattern among these. He knelt closer and saw the face of Kevin Clamely.

Thanks for reading, those perserverant few. :D the soldier, for those who do not know, is the one in the KF Mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want to know what happens next, keep up the writing.
I won't write anything myself, but I believe a story is a good diea. Where would it be implemented ingame? At the beginning, in level descriptions, perhaps a campaign could arise from this? In order of the story?

I was thinking something in the style of the old mission maps from KF-Mod, perhaps, but that is really up to TWI/the modders. To be perfectly honest, I'm just getting all the possible plots I can out there, so that perhaps some of it could be used by mappers or even TWI, if I could. So implementation would be up to them, unless whoever was making it inquires further (at which point, I would be happy to help).

So, basically, I would perfer mission maps (like those in the original KF-Mod), but if not I would be happy to see these made into normal maps. But if the latter is even possible depends on the story; it varies from mine, to someone elses. The main reason I'd prefer the series of missions would be both out of tradition (acknowledging the original), and also because I feel that taking advantage of the plot this game inherited would improve the game both for old-time fans and for the casual gamer.

Also, Bumpin' :p

Upvote 0
What were involved in the old mission maps? I don't rememeber ever playing that, so could you bring me up to date please so that I may see how the story may be implemented into them? :D

does someone have a link to the mod, or perhaps some videos of it? Or, even better, Yoyobatty's porting of the maps from the Mod to Retail, if he's finished. Also, loadsa bump:p

Upvote 0
I can imagine a great KF TV series. I can't think of a story straight off, but if there's gonna be episode titles they should be these (In no particular order):

Spoiler!

Anyone guess where they come from? :p

Also, @Timur the whole thing going on with the Masterson clone is fantastic. A little like Alice in Resident Evil but with a load of twists.

Upvote 0