• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unlocking weapons.

Nicholas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not a huge person for a leveling system similar to CoD. But if so many people want it, and it could be realistic by keeping rare weapons rare, then how about this....

All players start out with Nagant revolver, Luger, MN1893, K98, PPsh with drum and sticks, MP40, Maxim, MG34, sniper with low powered scope.

When you reach mid ranks, you should unlock the TT33, P38, MN38,G41, SVT, PPsh with choice of only drums or sticks, DP28, MG42, sniper with medium powered scope. The semi auto rifles mentioned would only be used by veteran riflemen and squad leaders/commander.

When you reach the highest ranks you should unlock the C96(for both countries), AVT, G41 with 25 round mag, MP41(With better melee and less recoil), PPsh that the Germans modified for 9mm(whatever its called), MKB42, PPS42, and high powered sniper scope. Most of these could be "hero weapons", meaning only 1 per team. Except for the C96 which is just a pistol, and the high powered scope which is for the sniper anyway.

So you get to "unlock stuff", but at the same time it would be realistic because rarer guns would be rarer.

Only a few problems with it.

1. Only the Germans should get the C96.

2. The Maxim is a heavy/medium machine-gun (it gets dragged around on a cart with wheels.) It is not a light machine-gun, meaning that unless the Russian team has some higher ranking players, they wouldn't have access to any LMGs.

Upvote 0
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.psj.ru/upload/imgjournal/Hranitel/2008/8/15/maxim-tokarev.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.psj.ru/saver_people/detail.php%3FID%3D12134&usg=__WrrQvWE-hHU_QJ_kfqoHjcqNU68=&h=253&w=650&sz=14&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=Yuthgz2va-NUJM:&tbnh=67&tbnw=171&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmaxim%2Btokarev%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D553%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=74&vpy=101&dur=776&hovh=140&hovw=360&tx=202&ty=60&ei=wkMSTeqTLcH-8AbGm6jRDQ&oei=wkMSTeqTLcH-8AbGm6jRDQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Also, the C96 was used by the Russians in the Russian Civil War, there were some left over and theres footage pictures of Russians with C96's, they were also somewhat rare for the Germans too, as they mostly used Lugers and Walthers, so thats why I suggested it be a rare weapon.
imgres

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No. He had it listed so that the "green" players in the MG slot would only get access to the Maxim, which is not a light machine-gun. Only once you were a somewhat experienced soldier would you get access to the DP-27. This seems rather odd.

From what I can tell the Maxim and the MG34 Lafette tripod are static and I'm guessing are either placed by the mapper or possibly by squad leaders or commanders. The DP is obviously the LMG counterpart to the MG34 and not the Maxim.

Aaaah. Okay, that makes sense then. Were they widely used during the war?

Yes they were.

Interesting photo of a German using a captured Maxim: http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/304131-2/Bild+101I-394-1459-10#

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I can tell the Maxim and the MG34 Lafette tripod are static and I'm guessing are either placed by the mapper or possibly by squad leaders or commanders. The DP is obviously the LMG counterpart to the MG34 and not the Maxim.

Yes they were.

Interesting photo of a German using a captured Maxim: http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/304131-2/Bild+101I-394-1459-10%23

No, no, that's the Maxim P1910 (or is it 1909? I can't remember it's designation exactly) That is a heavy/medium machine-gun that you wheel around on a small carriage. What Nichoals was talking about is the Tokarev Maxim, which he linked to a few posts up. I know the P1910 was used widely, but I've never even heard of the Tokarev Maxim before now.

Upvote 0
No, no, that's the Maxim P1910 (or is it 1909? I can't remember it's designation exactly) That is a heavy/medium machine-gun that you wheel around on a small carriage. What Nichoals was talking about is the Tokarev Maxim, which he linked to a few posts up. I know the P1910 was used widely, but I've never even heard of the Tokarev Maxim before now.

From what I've read I think the Tokarev Maxim was produced in small quantities in the late 20s but the DP was chosen soon after as the better candidate for the Red Army LMG, having multiple variants developed afterwards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would prefer that the Heroes unlock the rare stuff: AVT, MKB.

And then as I suggested earlier, maybe the whole drum/mag thing.

Outside of that, all the other weapons should be left for anyone.

I don't want 1/4 of the weapons to be hero only.

All those Hero weapons I mentioned were rare, the others were for mid level soldiers, somewhere in between heroes and fresh recruits, with guns that were common but not standard issue.

Upvote 0
I would prefer that the Heroes unlock the rare stuff: AVT, MKB.

And then as I suggested earlier, maybe the whole drum/mag thing.

Outside of that, all the other weapons should be left for anyone.

I don't want 1/4 of the weapons to be hero only.
Agree,AVT and MKB unlockable when reaching a hero level,dont take away the weapons that were actually available at that time...Dont make game to feel like unlocking as you play,only for hero.

Upvote 0
From what I've read I think the Tokarev Maxim was produced in small quantities in the late 20s but the DP was chosen soon after as the better candidate for the Red Army LMG, having multiple variants developed afterwards.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It really ought to just be the DP-27 up until hero, where maybe you could get a DT-29.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's what we were suggesting. Although, just because a weapon is rare doesn't necessarily mean Heroes should be the ones to get it. The DP-27 was chosen over the Tokarev Maxim for a reason I'd imagine.

Some guns are less rare than others, but still rare than the rest.

The guns I mentioned for heroes, were all rare, the PPS was not widely issued until 1943, the converted PPsh, MP41, and G41 with the 25 round mag were very rare. The C96 was used by both sides but was not standard issue ETC.

The ones I mentioned for mid level troops weren't necessarily "rare", but were not as common or were highly sought after.

Upvote 0