• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medic Perk: To be or not to be?

noupperlobeman

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Corning, New York
Hey guys, first time poster. Been playing for about a week and I decided it was time to take part in the community!

As I've said, I have been playing for roughly a week now. My favorite class is Field Medic. Idk why, but for some reason its leveled way faster than the others. So I stuck with it , and found myself enjoying it (just hit level 5 last night)! The perk bonuses are great, and I like the medic gun for hosing down groups of smaller mobs when I need to. Despite the obvious lack of offensive capabilities I manage to do well on kills (I play mostly on normal, so its not too hard to rack up kills AND keep everyones health full).

But I've ran into a problem as of late: I want to branch out and level other perks. This is all well and good, but I hardly ever run into medics other than myself! This is particularly frustrating because my squad usually ends up getting its butt kicked by the 5th or so round, and I HAVE to switch to my medic perk to keep the group going. It is really hampering my ability to enjoy other perks :confused:. I'm one of those people that sacrifices personal enjoyment for the sake of helping the squad be successful.

Anyone run into this issue? Anyone have any advice on this particular issue? Medic tips are also much appreciated :)

TL;DR- I'm trying to level other perks but teams get decimated unless I play as my medic perk. HELP!

Try to find a group of people or friends to play with, who are knowledgeable, and have appropriate perk levels for the difficulty - then play with them. Or, remind your team to heal themselves and each other, or just yell at someone to play Medic once and a while. Or, since the Medic Gun is relatively light, just use it as a back-up weapon, and buy a weapon from whichever perk you want to level. Use it as a primary weapon, and take out the Medic Gun to heal when needed.

It's the only thing I could really think to do. You may just have to say "screw it" and play what you want. If the team isn't just as willing to play a needed perk as you are, then why should you oblige them every single time?

Upvote 0
I did as well, at one point; being a medic is a job that is essential, but rare to find people for.

I don't quite know what to tell you, but in any case, you should try branching out (also, you will be a good team player, most likely, having comre from the medic group). Maybe you could try and find other medics to help; hell, if you really need to branch out, here at the forums we have a group of medics, many of whom (myself included), would be willing to help out.

I don't think it will be too much a problem though; medic numbers should start growing as people flood into the game. I'll try and find more solutions.

Also, seeing as you just reached level 5, let me tell you: although the medic levels fastest until then, level 5 is quite difficult. If you haven't noticed, the requirement is 100K healing...which is considerable. However, once you reach level6, you obtain near indestructable armor and superspeed, combined with heals that charge so fast that you'll never have to wait for your syringe again.

Well, back on topic, the choice, in the end, is yours. Try out other perks, and see if you like them. And once you've expanded your repetoire, you can switch among them for whatever your team needs. And a good medic with a powerful alternate perk(s) is probably the most useful player on a team.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's quite rare nowadays to find a Medic that can stick to just healing, and not killing in their spare time - only when they must.

yeah, I even have resorted to killing in my spare time. I feel like such a waste of player slot otherwise, and it can get quite boring (I haven't played this long to sit in one spot twiddling my thumbs). However, when people start getting hurt, I try my best to get healing (although that's usually when I get assaulted by hordes of gingerfast).

Upvote 0
Haha I had the -exact- same problem as you. I always ended up as the medic. Regardless I always found it enjoyable. The good news is for leveling some perks being a medic is well... Nearly as good on difficulties like normal.

Perks like Commando and Sharpshooter are both easily leveled up as a Medic due to the perk having few perked weapons. Buying an AK47 or and Bullpup and using those are good ways to whenever someone -needs- to be a Medic and you are him to keep up with your normal perk leveling.

Similarly the Lever Action Rifle and Handcannon are both good choices for the Medic. I've had level 6 Sharpshooter for a long while and I've only played the class 15-20 times. I've heard that the M79 isn't a bad pick either but I tend to avoid it unfortunately.

Otherwise my suggestion to you would be to find a group of guys you like be it a few friends or a server you frequent. As you get to know them they will get to know you and you can tell them 'Sorry guys I need to level blah blah. Can someone else be the medic?'

Upvote 0
Haha I had the -exact- same problem as you. I always ended up as the medic. Regardless I always found it enjoyable. The good news is for leveling some perks being a medic is well... Nearly as good on difficulties like normal.

Perks like Commando and Sharpshooter are both easily leveled up as a Medic due to the perk having few perked weapons. Buying an AK47 or and Bullpup and using those are good ways to whenever someone -needs- to be a Medic and you are him to keep up with your normal perk leveling.

Similarly the Lever Action Rifle and Handcannon are both good choices for the Medic. I've had level 6 Sharpshooter for a long while and I've only played the class 15-20 times. I've heard that the M79 isn't a bad pick either but I tend to avoid it unfortunately.

Otherwise my suggestion to you would be to find a group of guys you like be it a few friends or a server you frequent. As you get to know them they will get to know you and you can tell them 'Sorry guys I need to level blah blah. Can someone else be the medic?'

Yeah, I managed level 6 SS, never playing SS, just using the LAR as a medic. Trust me, once you get the hang of hipshooting the rifle, you can sniper without ironsights, and kill just about anything. Perhaps, if you really need a medic, you could try that.

Or just having no medics at all...It ain't hard not having a medic ;)

Well, sometimes teams just need a medic. If it looks like a team needs one, then it is best to have one. Particularly with teams that get damaged alot, a medic is uber-useful.

Upvote 0
Medic is probably the 2nd most used perk for me, behind Support. With having every perk but berserker at level 6, and even my berserker is level 5, I find myself playing medic often now just for the sake of helping the team. Played on a long hard game with 300 ping on Mountainpass, and still didn't die or let a single teammate die with only 40 kills in 7 waves. One suggestion is that if you do use another perk, still try healing as much as you possibly can while you are playing your other perks.

Upvote 0
If you want to you can add me. I be a medic since I want to level him to lv6. Since they make the berserker as fast as medic I didn't have a chance to play medic. I can be a tank too if your team need help surviving. Is there any benefit to be a medic instead of a breserker after the update. I know you can heal your team but is there another benefit.

Upvote 0
If you want to you can add me. I be a medic since I want to level him to lv6. Since they make the berserker as fast as medic I didn't have a chance to play medic. I can be a tank too if your team need help surviving. Is there any benefit to be a medic instead of a breserker after the update. I know you can heal your team but is there another benefit.

good news, whats your steam name?

Upvote 0
We play without medic more often than not. mostly a matter of looking out for one another. As a demo, you need to be choosy about when to roll out the guns, so he fills up the medic spot nicely. If the droppings hit the fan, demo stops the situation from developing instead of patching it up, and on hard the medic does not carry enough firepower after the xbow balancing (that I heavily abused back then).

Upvote 0
TL;DR- I'm trying to level other perks but teams get decimated unless I play as my medic perk. HELP!

Play as the medic perk, but do other perk's jobs as well, provided it doesn't cause a total lapse in teamwork. For example, use shotguns and assault rifles while playing medic and maybe use the LAR and take headshots. Doing this, you will level other perks without even playing them and you will also still be a medic, and doing the medic's job. :)

Upvote 0
Heres a tip, if you really get kicked on normal by round 5, play with better people. To be a field Medic it takes patience and skill, if there isnt a field medic around you dont have to play it.

You can go firebug and help keep the crowd down, demo to blow through crowds, commando to control it a little more.

Honestly it all come down to team play. If your on normal your team, if they have some experience, will know what to do and heal each other no problem.

But I see that your new, good idea reaching out to us forum people. Take our advice and use it wisely. Welcome to Killing Floor.

Upvote 0
Play as the medic perk, but do other perk's jobs as well, provided it doesn't cause a total lapse in teamwork. For example, use shotguns and assault rifles while playing medic and maybe use the LAR and take headshots. Doing this, you will level other perks without even playing them and you will also still be a medic, and doing the medic's job. :)

Pretty much this. I hit Sharpshooter 6 mostly using pistols as a medic, and I also got a lot of shotgun damage towards Support 6.

Upvote 0
Medic is my most played class, and i found that at higher dificulties, where people get hurt all the time, its a very enjoyable class and really is credit to team. Now with the christmas update we usually do way better with a lvl 5/6 medic in the team, but its not mandatory to have one.

i

Upvote 0
Medic should be nerfed, too many kiting zerkmedics running around at the moment that ARE NOT playing their medic-role. Healing their teammates that is.

Yeah I heal as my primary role. But if we are on wide open maps (mountain pass) where people aren't taking much damage I whip out my pistol or LAR and score some kills just to help the process along.

Upvote 0
Far as I see it there are 3 types of Medic.

A Bad Medic focuses on kills instead of healing his squad.

A Good Medic focuses on helaing his teammates and doesn't fuss with kills.

A Great Medic keeps an eye on his teammates and on incoming threats and knows when to stay focused on heals and when to take out specimens that may cause trouble for the team.

For example when a Zerker is taking out a line of gorefasts and a couple of crawlers are sneaking up with the group. The Zerker shouldn't have difficulty surviving but the crawlers can complicate his defence, meaning he may have to make a decision to leave the crawler and take a hit to his armour to knock out the gorefast first. A Great Medic will spot this threat incoming and eliminate the Crawlers before the Zerker even has to contemplate them.

The key to being Medic is not going for kills, but still being aware that you can get kills. Keeping an eye on the threats incoming on the team allows you to access whether or not the other players will benefit from your help.

I always levelled most of my other perks while I was playing Medic. Sharpshooter I think I played for 30 minutes to get Dot Of Doom and that was about it ;)

Upvote 0
With the new balance changes, I think the medic is actually a necessary perk in a certain case. Assuming that TW meant for the difficulty levels to be tied directly to your perk, and not skill, the game would be very difficult at all times, which I believe is a good thing. Level 0 at beginner, 1 normal, 2/3 hard, 4/5 suicidal, and 6 for HoE - or something similar to that. Now if we assume we don't have level 6s playing normal games for whatever reason, it's common sense that people are going to take some damage.

A lot of players with at least one maxed perk still play hard because suicidal and HoE are.. well, difficult. But if you're meant to play hard and normal at low levels, then it seems that a medic increases survivability a LOT. On the flip side, a group of players at level 6 will all simply take perks that are focused on killing specimens and do it easily.

TL;DR if you don't need a medic, you should be playing a harder difficulty.

Upvote 0