• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] best of called of duty series

best of called of duty series

• call of duty

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • call of duty 2

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • call of duty 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • call of duty 4

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • call of duty world at war

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • call of duty MW2

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • call of duty black ops

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
what i liked about cod/uo sp was that it made me feel like i was one of the comic book characters in the ww2 battle annuals i used to read as a kid.
But i accepted this over the top gameplay because like you i had games such as vietcong and r6 series for a more tactical approach.

It filled a gap in my mp library, and i enjoyed bolt action only maps, running around and hiding in maps like kharkov, search & destroy ( which i found preferable to CS) and headquaters.
I used to play the latter with some freinds and some dutch guys a lot, but after a while i found it so exhastingly relentless that it simply did my head in, and i abandoned the game.
That's how i find all CODs now - hard work and too hectic - i can't compensate for my ailing reflexes with tactics so it's just frustrating.

That might have worked for me IF CoD had presented itself in a comic book style, if it had TF2 style graphics or went a step further and added some pencil sketch style effect to the graphics, and really played up that angle, or just by going compleately over the top RTCW style, then i might have been able to connect with the game and enjoy it as pure fiction.

But ofcourse, it didn't, it presents itself in a very realistic manner, but is anything but, and that triggers an unfortunate "uncanney valley" style reaction from me, where my mind is fooled into trying to connect with the gameworld as it would the real world, but unrealism is all over the place, constantly shattering the immersion, and i can't connect with it, it just cannot draw me in.

I need immersion to enjoy a game, and it can come in many forms, it can be things as diverse as a grossly unrealistic 8bit sidescrolling platformer, all the way up to a hardcore flightsim where you can't even start the engine before reading the manual and understanding what a Magneto and a Booster Coil is. But i have a blindspot somewhere in the middle of fantasy and simulation, and games like CoD, DoD:S, BF and MoH fall right into that blindspot, and i cannot get immersed into them, no matter what i try, i just cannot connect with them, and they fall flat on their face for me, and become incredibly boring and frustrating for me as a result.

Upvote 0
+1 for UO.

I'd rank them as:
1. UO
2. CoD1
3. CoD2

with CoD 4 a distant 4th and all the others on a trash heap of games I never played.

It's too easy for us to forget sometimes that CoD and CoDUO pretty much revolutionized what we had at that time. Both of those games ran circles around the MoH series, and without them we wouldn't be here salivating over the release of RO:HoS. For me anyway, as crude as it now seems, UO was the first game where you thought 'oh, ok...so THIS is what you can do when you work together as a team.' Granted, RO took that to great new heights, but CoD1 and UO were just awesome for their time.

Upvote 0
COD1 for me, simply put it was the best action WW2 shooter available at the time. It had a lot more realism than say MOHAA whilst still being accessible and an absolute blast to play. I loved the fact that it had;

- Iron sights.
- Team mates.
- A separate campaign for each of the major Allied forces (A breath of fresh air compared to the MOH method of contriving a way to place an American in the other Allies fronts).
- Awesome set pieces like crossing the Volga, the Red Square attack, Pegasus Bridge, holding Pavlov's House etc.
- A wide array of (for the most part) historically accurate weapons with their own handling characteristics.
- Well structured MP with a good mix of game types, small and large maps (which is something the series has now lost with it's lunchbox sized maps).

I was disappointed with UO, I felt it made some really ****ty changes. Like making all the weapons more samey in the name of balance, also decreasing their damage and accuracy, and the SP was crap. Overall it made the game a whole lot more spammy.

I'd put COD4:MW second, it was a good game in it's own right, however like others have said it brought things to the table I didn't quite enjoy (levelling and perks). But it had solid SP and MP for the most part.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played the first COD in a demo and didn't care for it. I've played COD 4 SP and MW2 SP. While COD 4's SP was just okay, MW2' was terrible imo. I was playing MOH Allied Assault a few hours ago, and I noticed how strikeingly similar it was. It had the linear gameplay,being told what to do all the time, and no freedom just like COD 4. Features which I all hate.

Upvote 0
It's too easy for us to forget sometimes that CoD and CoDUO pretty much revolutionized what we had at that time. Both of those games ran circles around the MoH series, and without them we wouldn't be here salivating over the release of RO:HoS.

Very wrong, RO allready existed as a mod when CoD was released, and we where playing with realistic features like iron sights many years prior in Unreal mods like Snipeout and Serpentine, and Infiltration for UT was doing revolutionising things like free-aim and real weapon collision long before CoD was a blip on the radar (things that CoD still doesen't have).

All this stuff came from the mod scene, it had been around for years by then, and had been done better too.

If anything, we can give CoD credit for bringing it into the mainstream, as it was undoubtedly the first hugely advertized game to have them, and thus the first most people saw, but it should by no means be seen as the inventor of thease features, as that would be taking a huge dump on the many talented modders who where at the foreground of it's development.

Upvote 0
If anything, we can give CoD credit for bringing it into the mainstream
This is the point. How many people have played the mods you listed and for how many people has it been the first game with IS? And I doubt that IW got their idea of ironsights from UT mods but rather from simply opening their eyes to the functionality of real guns.

My first game with IS was probably CoD too and first mod was Hostile Intent for HL1 I believe.

Upvote 0
This is the point. How many people have played the mods you listed and for how many people has it been the first game with IS? And I doubt that IW got their idea of ironsights from UT mods but rather from simply opening their eyes to the functionality of real guns....

when i think ironsights (and no xhairs for that matter) i think vietcong.

good thing about cod was that being quake 3 tech like moh, so many of the popular maps for the latter were seen on cod servers.
Once you were using ironsights you never looked back - the only RL shooter around that time that i really liked that didn't have them was R6:RVS

Upvote 0
Yeah I don't think CoD gets credits for iron sights.

It gets credit for using iron sights yet producing a game that didn't feel like a clunky piece of **** that most FPS were at the time. It felt like realism and arcadey action met in the same game, which you couldn't say of other FPS. Other FPS were either No-Iron-Sight bunny hopping arena fests, or they were on rails FPS with poor mobility and worse scripting.

CoD sort of took the best of both worlds and combined them. Now, today, we may ***** about the lack of realism in today's shooters, but I think CoD was the first franchise in a while where I had undeniable fun in what was calling itself a realism shooter.

Upvote 0