• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Difference between Alpha and Beta?

Bashenka

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Seattle
Does the Beta phase mean complete content lock, as in no new gameplay features, interface changes, animations, etc? Or can some things still be changed during the Beta - such as fancying up the maps more?

Basically what is the Beta phase is all about (aside from bug fixing)?

Last edited:
Alpha - first playable version (not all features are included)
Beta - balancing, checking, fixing bugs (step by step next gamemodes, features and stuff are added)

I'm sure, that we get some new informations, videos and screens from beta phase soon.

However how Alpha/Beta phase is done, that depends of developer.

Upvote 0
As to how good beta testing is I'm not sure, as most pc games have a big patch within a week of release.

That's not a problem with Beta-testing, but a problem created by conventional publishing houses.

Publishers are usually publicly listed companies, they rely on shareholders, so when they sign up a new game, a deadline for it's release is established, and the developers will be punished by steep late-fees if they don't release on the deadline (the shareholders need to be kept happy, and see a return on their investment within the promised dealine, they are buisnessmen, not gamers, to them it's just a product like any other).

Most developers, even the really big ones, cannot afford to pay thouse late-fees (they are HUUUEG!), or atleast can't afford to pay them for long, and the established dealines tend to be too optimistic, so this is why we see so many bugridden releases that require day-1 pathes.

So it's not because the Beta-testers are failing at their job, chances are, they just wheren't given enough time to find and fix the problems before the deadline ran out.
Hell, sometimes i suspect there wasen't even time to Beta-test the games at all, and they just had to be dumped on the market as-is before any bug-squashing could take place (especially the PC versions, as thouse are usually the last thing that gets made in a multiplatform release thease days, and thus the most likely to not have been tested and fixed before release).

Thankfully, TWI are not publically listed, and thanks to Steam, they have not had to deal with the conventional publishing houses either, they are independant, so nobody is going to hold a gun to their head and force them to release the game before it's ready, nobody will demand late-fees from them (this is why Steam is a good thing people, even if it's not perfect, and has it's fair share of pitfalls, it beats the hell out of conventional publishing houses if the developer can stay independant).

Upvote 0
That's not a problem with Beta-testing, but a problem created by conventional publishing houses.

Publishers are usually publicly listed companies, they rely on shareholders, so when they sign up a new game, a deadline for it's release is established, and the developers will be punished by steep late-fees if they don't release on the deadline (the shareholders need to be kept happy, and see a return on their investment within the promised dealine, they are buisnessmen, not gamers, to them it's just a product like any other).

Most developers, even the really big ones, cannot afford to pay thouse late-fees (they are HUUUEG!), or atleast can't afford to pay them for long, and the established dealines tend to be too optimistic, so this is why we see so many bugridden releases that require day-1 pathes.

So it's not because the Beta-testers are failing at their job, chances are, they just wheren't given enough time to find and fix the problems before the deadline ran out.
Hell, sometimes i suspect there wasen't even time to Beta-test the games at all, and they just had to be dumped on the market as-is before any bug-squashing could take place (especially the PC versions, as thouse are usually the last thing that gets made in a multiplatform release thease days, and thus the most likely to not have been tested and fixed before release).

Thankfully, TWI are not publically listed, and thanks to Steam, they have not had to deal with the conventional publishing houses either, they are independant, so nobody is going to hold a gun to their head and force them to release the game before it's ready, nobody will demand late-fees from them (this is why Steam is a good thing people, even if it's not perfect, and has it's fair share of pitfalls, it beats the hell out of conventional publishing houses if the developer can stay independant).

Interesting. :eek:

Upvote 0

Most developers, even the really big ones, cannot afford to pay thouse late-fees (they are HUUUEG!), or atleast can't afford to pay them for long, and the established dealines tend to be too optimistic, so this is why we see so many bugridden releases that require day-1 pathes......

Citation? (For personal perusal.)

Upvote 0
Citation? (For personal perusal.)

Sadly i can give you none, as this is just what i have seen Developers say when asked why there are so many buggy/rushed releases happening, but i have seen that explination given several times now from people within the industry (though they will never mention names or actual numbers, for obvious reasons).

Take it for it is, but personally, i have no reason to doubt the validity of what they are saying, as this is pretty much how all large publically listed Corporations are run in other industries, and the game's bizz is an industry, make no mistake about that (*insert your favorite "LoL it printz money!" pic here*).

Maybe you can goad Yosh into flapping his gums about it.. but i have my doubts ;)

Upvote 0
Sadly i can give you none, as this is just what i have seen Developers say when asked why there are so many buggy/rushed releases happening, but i have seen that explination given several times now from people within the industry (though they will never mention names or actual numbers, for obvious reasons).

Take it for it is, but personally, i have no reason to doubt the validity of what they are saying, as this is pretty much how all large publically listed Corporations are run in other industries, and the game's bizz is an industry, make no mistake about that (*insert your favorite "LoL it printz money!" pic here*).

Maybe you can goad Yosh into flapping his gums about it.. but i have my doubts ;)
Well, thanks for the input. You too, Yoshiro. I guess (as with most contracts) it depends upon what is in the contract. Penalty for late or non-performance would certainly be an incentive.

Upvote 0