• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some new Ideas

ivan987

Nov 19, 2010
Croatia
Hello everyone!

I am new around here so I'm going to present myself later.

Only thing its good to know that I'm Ivan, I'm 15 years old, from Croatia and going in best high school in my country and give my best to qualify myself to get a job in Tripwire. I got few ideas that I think authors might consider.

Here:

• Motion Capture
I don't like mentioning any other FPS's around here, especially COD but I have watched some videos on creation of they're games, and I've seen they used Motion Capture. I think it would greatly affect players body movement; affect its realism.
  • Tank "Earthquake"
If you ever seen movies like Saving Private Ryan, you can cleary see there's kind of Tank "Eartquake". Now, I am not sure if that's done for technical reasons, I.E. effect/ambient, or beacuse it is so in real life. I would aim for second reason, beacuse it is not really comfortable when 60 ton metal giant passes by you. So, small Earthquake that starts in ~15 meters radius, which increases by each meter.
  • Muzzleflash
As seen in Sci-Fi, History/War, or any movie of that matter, even games you might've spotted "Fire" comming out of guns barrel. I've fired many rifles and guns in real life, and as far as I noticed, there's only some bit of smoke lingerling after shot being fired. In RO: HoS Trailer I've played like 1000 times which amazed me so much, I've seen kind off odd muzzleflash effect, which I'm 100% sure, it is only beacuse game has not evolved completely yet. Fire of course comes from barrel, but in so small time period, that human eye is not able to see, unless it is under dim light, or night.

Got lot'sa ideas, but I'm gonna stick to school for some time now until new RO2 comes out.

Thank you,
Ivan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
TBH, those ideas would better fit into the category "opinions" rather than "ideas".

Motion capture:
Tripwire already stated that they use motion capture in HoS. Also suggesting something like this can hardly be counted as an idea.

"Earthquake":
Dunno, we'd have to get hands on a T34 and a Pz.4 in order to find that out as both are well below the 60 ton mark.

Muzzleflashes:
Now here is a point where I fully agree with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just use search.

The tank "earthquake" idea has come up before.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42529&highlight=tank+shake

Seems likely the effect is more Hollywood than real world. Some folks on the forum who have been right next to rolling tanks say they don't make the ground tremble. Others have. My guess is it depends on the type of ground you're on. I'm sure you'll get more shaking on a bridge than on solid ground.

Upvote 0
No one is trashing you, just commenting. Don't think that you wasted your time because I enjoyed reading it considering your a 15 year old Croatian writing english like that. My cousins in Croatia only know how to say "sick" lol.

add me on steam if your interested in a part croatian realism clan for RO2, 369th pojacana pjesacka pukovnija:)
username: skoks

Upvote 0
No one is trashing you, just commenting. Don't think that you wasted your time because I enjoyed reading it considering your a 15 year old Croatian writing english like that. My cousins in Croatia only know how to say "sick" lol.

add me on steam if your interested in a part croatian realism clan for RO2, 369th pojacana pjesacka pukovnija:)
username: skoks
woho,interesting.......puno hrvata ovdje.....

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums Ivan, no one's trashing here - this just constitutes discussion in this part of the forum.

Mo-Cap, LemoN already said - it's already been done.

Ground shaking from tanks - depends on the tank and the ground I suspect.
I've been within a few meters of several tanks at Bovington tank museum (ww2 era up to modern tanks) on grass and concrete and felt no real effect. That said though, there are probably a lot of variables.

Muzzleflashes - Muzzleflashes in RO were just fine in my opinion, would be happy for them to be very similar - again there are lots of variables on whether or not MF is visible, and how visible so you need to find a comfortable middle ground (as I said, RO did it fine).

Upvote 0
TBH, those ideas would better fit into the category "opinions" rather than "ideas".

Motion capture:
Tripwire already stated that they use motion capture in HoS. Also suggesting something like this can hardly be counted as an idea.

"Earthquake":
Dunno, we'd have to get hands on a T34 and a Pz.4 in order to find that out as both are well below the 60 ton mark.

Muzzleflashes:
Now here is a point where I fully agree with you.
Same. We know that they are using motion capture animation, and that's more of a preferance than an idea.

Regarding the "tank earthquake," I'm pretty big into authenticity and it's always iffy to cite a movie as historical fact.

Third, I totally agree on the muzzle flashes. Most games get this wrong and I hope the TWI devs put some effort into making them more like "flashes" rather than bursts of flame.

Oh and welcome to the forums! :D

Upvote 0
When will anyone get to that level where creators will be able to create 100% authenticity? Maybe in 10 years, maybe in 100, but probably never, so I don't find tank rumble as a bad "idea" especially when it comes to bridges, etc...( Just imagine that awesome camera shaking effect when you are near tank, gives you chills). Why would ANY game creator want to have entire game based on historical facts? It is almost done in RO, so why make RO monotone and boring also loaded with facts.

I don't care if creators will make Tiger tank half a ton heavier than it is, if you know what I mean.

Ivan

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't care if creators will make Tiger tank half a ton heavier than it is, if you know what I mean.

But most of us here care. :)

Also, the ground would be vibrating at best (if at all), and to even make a static camera shake you'd need way more vibration than that. And even then, the human brain is preeetty good at cancelling out movement. Just walk around looking at a fixed point, your view won't shake much, even though your head is bobbing up and down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well it'd really irk a realism based crowd if they're forced into something they don't like, for no reason other than superficial effect.
If tanks are implemented well enough then they are imposing enough as it is, without the additional after-effects to enhance it.

It's like the supression system argument, head bob, or blur whilst turning quickly. You can't visually represent vibration through someones eyes. If I want my desk to shake I turn the volume up :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0