• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

From PC-Battlefield fan

Airplanes sure would be awesome in TWIs next project after HoS.

Naw. Not unless they scale up to an arma sized game. I really wouldent want a BF style for airplanes.

Were TWI's next project to be on an ARMA sized scale, with servers meant for a few hundred people at a time, and maps large enough to afford air bases behind the lines, I would love Helo's and airplanes.

Upvote 0
BF planes worked in vanilla BF42 (can't say anything about BF2 as I never played it) because the whole gameplay was arcade madness, even when the planes felt they were sort of slapped in just to have extra content. They had their own use and they were tweaked and 'balanced' for the relative mapsizes, mostly due that you could probably cycle faster IRL than the planes fly in BF.

hockeywarrior said:
It only worked marginally better in mods like Forgotten Hope that had much longer maps and planes that were modeled more realistically and were more fun to fly.

Actually this is where things got even worse in general despite the bigger maps. Aircraft like Bf-109, P-38 etc were notable offenders that you spent 80-90% of your time just turning around and squeezing your mouse and hoping that it would turn faster. This combined with poor drawing distance made it nearly impossible to pull any sort of real deflection shot as the moment your opponent began to turn (unless it was a bomber) you couldn't follow it due the way the supposed 'realism' in the mod made the plane control feel like you're flying 600-700km\h and attempting to do 3g+ turn even when the planes are only somewhat faster than in vanilla BF42.

Upvote 0
BF planes worked in vanilla BF42 (can't say anything about BF2 as I never played it) because the whole gameplay was arcade madness, even when the planes felt they were sort of slapped in just to have extra content. They had their own use and they were tweaked and 'balanced' for the relative mapsizes, mostly due that you could probably cycle faster IRL than the planes fly in BF.

Actually this is where things got even worse in general despite the bigger maps. Aircraft like Bf-109, P-38 etc were notable offenders that you spent 80-90% of your time just turning around and squeezing your mouse and hoping that it would turn faster. This combined with poor drawing distance made it nearly impossible to pull any sort of real deflection shot as the moment your opponent began to turn (unless it was a bomber) you couldn't follow it due the way the supposed 'realism' in the mod made the plane control feel like you're flying 600-700km\h and attempting to do 3g+ turn even when the planes are only somewhat faster than in vanilla BF42.
But when flown with a joystick, FH's flight model was a treat compared to vanilla.

Upvote 0
Sure it did. Of course maps had to be a bit bigger. But just look at all the RO:O custom tanks maps which are huge, that's definitely big enough. Flying in BF was fun enough, and since you wouldn't be flying modern high-tech jets you wouldn't have to turn every 2nd second either if maps were of reasonable size. Where's the point in having a huge map like in ArmA2 so you fly 10minutes to your target just to drop off bombs and fly back again, that wouldn't fit into ROs gameplay.

Does anyone know how that's handled in PR?

Upvote 0
Regarding BF2 I really like the planes, so obviously it's a case of different strokes for different folks...the arcadey style is perfect for me since I'm crap at proper flight sims. It's true the maps are a bit small, but I don't think it's a massive problem, vBF2 never set out to be a realistic shooter and I'm glad of that in many respects there are plenty of other games which serve the hardcore sim market, not to mention the great mods for BF2 (Project Reality being my favourite).

I also wouldn't write off BF3 just yet. I agree it's not great news that it's also coming out on the consoles, but y'know I don't think BC2 was that bad on PC, I've got it on both 360 and PC and enjoy them both.

I do hope BF3 has the Commander, planes, more classes, tougher ranking up etc we had in BF2 and I'm sure it will. Here is a list of known features:

* Release in late 2011