• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor mentioned in PC Gamer's (brutal) review of CoD:BO

I'm talking value for money and if you're denying CoD isn't at least solid in that department then you are denying reality.
It honestly depends on the player. I've played BF2, BF:BC2, CoD 2, 3, 4, MW2, some of CoD: WaW zombie mode, and half a dozen other modern warfare shooter games in the last two years.

That's close to 10 freaking games all in the same genre, all doing the same thing, the same guns, the same sound effects, the same styling.....

Exactly how much you get out of your $60 now is entirely relative to your experience with the genre. The _only_ reason BC2 has gotten 100+ hours of me is because I have friends to play it with. The _only_ reason. It was the _only_ reason CoD 4 got that much out of me. The value of that "realistic" combat experience is swiftly diminishing for a lot of people who enjoy shooters, and makes me, at least, consider how much I'm willing to pay for the exact same experience every 6 months.

Sometimes it feels like if the production values are high enough, and someone blatantly rips off the last upgrade MP scheme from the last major success, then you're guaranteed to get noticed. Because that pretty much describes Black Ops to a T. Even the new Medal of Honor game managed to not suck completely in some people's eyes simply because enough money was spent on production values and promotion by guys with beards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Three out of the 4 games you mentioned are. Well Assassins Creed isn't technically, but it's not just an action-adventure either.

And still, HL2 itself was just 10hours of SP with absolutely zero replay value and no MP. Of course it was bundled with CSS and mods that followed, but only years later.

I'm talking value for money and if you're denying CoD isn't at least solid in that department then you are denying reality.

codmw2 was the single worst fps i have ever played. granted, it was at my friends house on an xbox 360, but over the 5-10 hours that i played of it, it was just a shockingly bad game

i played blackops, uninstalled within 30 minutes. i just dont find the generic gameplay of cod fun in anyway. call me a hater if you will, but i found cod4 good fun, and i liked cod2 until i discovered ro. the only fps i play nowadays actually have features :eek:, or at least rely on skill instead of getting 5 kills and letting a chopper do the rest

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Oh and personally, I probably spent equally few time on nazi zombies & killing floor, because I didn't really like either one.

well, you obviously didn't like the playstyle. Good thing you only paid 20 US dollars for the latter.

Granted, CoD does have other features than zombies, but if your going to test out/buy a game for that style or genre, at least go for the cheaper one with consistent updates (and a great deal of other allures)

However, fighting zombies as a team of Nixon, Castro, and JFK is amusing, for sure.

Upvote 0
I don't have the will to argue with the masses anymore. Black Ops just broke another entertainment record, at $650 in the first five days, better than MW2. I never thought I'd see the day when Treyarch outsold Infinity Ward....but I guess that's the world we live in now, and the natural result of Infinity Ward getting bumped out of the picture. I imagine their funding increased 100-fold after that whole debacle. Grats to them though. Better saddle up for another two years of this **** :p
I would think a very aggre$$ive ad campaign didn't hurt the intial sales. I don't know that I've ever seen such flood of television spots for anything other than Halo (or perhaps I never noticed as I don't watch much TV). I'll have to admit that the ads were pretty impre$$ive, too.

Upvote 0
I would think a very aggre$$ive ad campaign didn't hurt the intial sales. I don't know that I've ever seen such flood of television spots for anything other than Halo (or perhaps I never noticed as I don't watch much TV). I'll have to admit that the ads were pretty impre$$ive, too.

yeah and with ads like that, they could probably even sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves :D

Upvote 0
It honestly depends on the player.
Of course it does, but that doesn't allow anyone to deny reality. There are millions of players playing this game in MP for 100+ hours and enjoying the hell out of it, just like there still are hundreds of RO veterans with probably 1000h+ of gameplay time after all the years. For example I never managed to get warm with ArmA2(eventhough I tried, often). So for me the game pretty much sucked. Yet in terms of value for money I of course realize that there still is the editor, big multiplayer, etc. You can't just view things like this from only your own point of view if you're making assumptions like that.

Upvote 0
If Farmville can sport millions of users, and not be "great", then I hold that just because something is popular and enjoyed by some doesn't automatically make it great either. That's my rationale anyways. People are entitled to play what they want without being harassed about it.

That doesn't then mean I have to agree that their game is good, great, working in some areas, not a blatant milking of the franchise and everything someone else has already done.....

And honestly, for being out a week, I'm kinda of surprised at everyone's short term memory. MW2 had its killer month. BCBC2 had its killer month. This one's is beginning now. The only one that failed to cash in on the reality shooter game this cycle was Medal of Honor.

So I find the "greatest game of the year.....what MP will be for the next year...." and the defensiveness to be funny, given that in a month or two, it might be on the shelf with the rest of those games.

Upvote 0
/me breaks out PC Zone (of old)

50-69% Games that score in this region don't win any awards, but they're above average and worth a look. If you're not a fan of the genre through, they will probably offer limited long term appeal
And in contrast

90-100% If a game receives the impressive score of 90 or above it is awarded the PC Zone Classic award. These games are original, innovative, compelling and are worth buying even if you're not really a fan of the genre

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
Well, let me introduce you to the reality of 2010: Everything with an average score below 70 sucks and is not to be played.

And how is it a fair review when only the SP is tested, as project.rattus mentioned? The big part of the game is obviously the MP. By those standards, what would you have to give BC2? Its SP was definitely worse than any CoD SP. So, 50%?

Upvote 0
Well, let me introduce you to the reality of 2010: Everything with an average score below 70 sucks and is not to be played.

So things that suck deserve a 7/10 rating? You know Killing Floor has a metascore of 71, that's dangerously close to suck according to those guidelines.
The 1-10 scale is a lot more fun, and much easier to grade things on if you used the numbers < 6 occaisonally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now tell my why all IW and Treyarch devs always said that the SP is the main part and the MP is only a neglectable addon?

That was true for CoD1-6, so why would No.7 be an exception?
What? Don't just make stuff up. People buy CoD for MP. They had an extra Event in LA with worldwide press when they revealed the MP. They release dlc mappacks. I've never heard a CoD dev say SP was more important.

@SheepDip

Stop turning my words around. I said BELOW 70%. Not 7/10. 7/10 looks better than 70%. IMO KF wouldn't deserve more than 75%, that's solid but nothing special at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you actually read the review on The Escapist, which I did, you see that they test the SP and MP separately, and then come up with a score based on the two separate reviews. The Escapist reviewers didn't like the SP and wanted to give it 2 stars, but since they liked the MP they bumped it up to 3.

Also, about the whole "mainstream media" being crap thing. The fact that something is mainstream doesn't make it bad, it is when the company making the media (games, movies, music, whatever) specifically tries to cater to everyone that is becomes bad, because you end up with entertainment that is targeted at the lowest common denominator. Something that is great can become mainstream by virtue of its greatness, but rarely is something that was meant to be mainstream from its inception really that great. It simply can't be because it doesn't take risks as it is trying to appeal to everyone.

Upvote 0
If you actually read the review on The Escapist, which I did, you see that they test the SP and MP separately, and then come up with a score based on the two separate reviews. The Escapist reviewers didn't like the SP and wanted to give it 2 stars, but since they liked the MP they bumped it up to 3.
And if you had actually read my post carefully you'd know that I was ralking about the PCGamer review, which according to project.rattus revolved solely about the SP.

Upvote 0
There is only one post by rattus in this thread, in which he says:

The Escapist did too.

Also, the PC Gamer review DID mention the MP; it said that the MP would be great, if it wasnt as broken as it was at review time (I understand they have patched it since then, and it is better now):

It’s worse in multiplayer. Server disconnects, lag spikes on good connections and total lock-ups are so frequent that it’s unplayable for some of us in the office. They’re only occasional on my main machine, so I’ve played enough to see that the technical problems are a real shame. Without them, this could be the best multiplayer Call of Duty in the current generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0