• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About tankers dieing...

So you want to keep moving around the tank during a battle?
Do we know how it is going to be modeled? I would guess it would be instant for the axis switching between crew and some kind of animation for the allies.

But both pale into insignificance when you consider the wannabe tankers that have to find another server as the commander has locked the tank and they can't even spawn unless they play infantry :(
Ya i wonder how this is going to play out not only for the people that want to play as tankers but what happens when one team has a lot of takers.
So say there are 5 tanks for each side once side could have 5 tankers and 27 inf. well the other side has 15 tankers and 17 inf. how much of a advantage will a crew with real people over ai have? 10 more inf. does seem like a big advantage too. :confused:
Really? Don't forget some folks on these forums want to play loader :rolleyes:
Ya i'm taking it from the view of a causal tanker and what makes the most sense for the game overall.

Upvote 0
Do we know how it is going to be modeled? I would guess it would be instant for the axis switching between crew and some kind of animation for the allies.

Ya i wonder how this is going to play out not only for the people that want to play as tankers but what happens when one team has a lot of takers.
So say there are 5 tanks for each side once side could have 5 tankers and 27 inf. well the other side has 15 tankers and 17 inf. how much of a advantage will a crew with real people over ai have? 10 more inf. does seem like a big advantage too. :confused:

Ya i'm taking it from the view of a causal tanker and what makes the most sense for the game overall.

I just think it would be worth it to have a dedicated tank commander, you don't have to play as one.

Hell for all I care people can get in tanks all by themselves and have bot crews, will they be as effective as a full human crew? Probably not.

I imagine at the least you'd want a human driver and gunner, a human hull gunner on CA maps, and a dedicated commander for the Germans if you really wanted teamwork.

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
Guys I'm pretty sure reading that pIV will have 4 playable spots in the news & announcements section somewhere. After all, in the recent videos it was possible to take all 4 roles except for the loader. About the "what a commander will do then" argument, its possible that the other crewmen will be awarded points for following his instructions just like the whole team gets points for following the "squad leader's" orders right?

Upvote 0
Sounds almost as boring as being the loader...

So you want the AI loader to be the invincible almighty god of tanks?:rolleyes:
What use is an AI comander?:confused:..... if you dont want to do it because its boring DONT. Speaking for myself and my friends that will be getting the game, We would like someone to be up there as a spotter and a spare incase someone else gets killed.:cool::p

edit, if you can pop out the roof and use a handgun you could do that as people try and plant satchels

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you want the AI loader to be the invincible almighty god of tanks?:rolleyes:
What use is an AI comander?:confused:..... if you dont want to do it because its boring DONT. Speaking for myself and my friends that will be getting the game, We would like someone to be up there as a spotter and a spare incase someone else gets killed.:cool::p

I am going guess and say there will be 3 human players per tank with the ability for them to switch between ALL the crew. You could then move the mg to the loaders spot. All i'm saying is most people aren't going to want to play loader as there main spot. Hitting "E" and watching the reload animation doesn't seem like much fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am going guess and say there will be 3 human players per tank with the ability for them to switch between ALL the crew. You could then move the mg to the loaders spot. All i'm saying is most people aren't going to want to play loader as there main spot. Hitting "E" and watching the reload animation doesn't seem like much fun.

That post was mainly about the commande being player controlled, you quoted me and said being the commander would be as boring as reloader.

My point is playing as commander has alot of use, maybe not so much reloader.
I think as Mormegil said the main gunner would automatically reload and all the reloader being dead would cause is that tanks reload speed suffered abit.

I highly doubt that TW would make you "shot, swap, press e, swap, shoot swa....."

Upvote 0
Yeah, think about ROOST now. It's like bolting the rifle. Left mouse button fires a round, left mouse button loads up a new round (gives you the option to queue up a different round type).

I would think as gunner, you fire a round, and the loader won't load until you click again.

If the loader is dead, you fire a round, click - watch 1st person animation to switch to loader, load, switch back to gun sight, and you're ready to fire.

As much as I whine against death messages, it would be really cool to know if you killed that loader, or any specific crewman.

Upvote 0
As much as I whine against death messages, it would be really cool to know if you killed that loader, or any specific crewman.

That would be way too OP. Knowing exactly what type of damage you have inflicted on the enemy tank and knowing exactly how to exploit it would be too cheap, and unrealistic of course.

I'm really hoping tank won't instantly explode and turn black when destroyed in HoS. Imagine being in a tank and being able to feign death. A hit takes out all crewmembers except one. Your attacker thinks he has destroyed you. He drives away. The surviving crewman takes control of the gun, and returns fire on the attacker as he drives past.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let me clarify, I don't think it's a good idea, and would actually be against it. But it would give me a rush knowing I took out the loader if it was implemented.

Maybe they could implement end of game hit statistics, like in Steel Fury. When the round is over, you can navigate through a list of enemies you killed, showing where you shot them and what kind of damage they received.

Reactions: Mormegil
Upvote 0
I love all this "Waht will the commander do???" posts.

Yes, please, continue to drive around as a gunner in your buttoned up tanks, lacking situational awareness.:p

Probably the best thing a tank can have outside of a competent gunner is a good pair of eyes.

THANK GOD FOR THAT! nice to see other people understand the commander is a very important role.

Upvote 0
THANK GOD FOR THAT! nice to see other people understand the commander is a very important role.

Scruffy seconds that post.
0ab6e8b6ddc22229ab0ac77b960c609d.jpg

Upvote 0
So with the 3 tanks and 3 commanders scenario, they all decide to lock their tanks. That will be the end of anyone else who thought they might like to play in a tank then?

Seems a bit broken to me :confused:

I think people are confusing the commanders ability to decide who is in his tank with some authoritarian ability to deny people the right to play in the tank.

If there are 3 tanks on a map, than there are ONLY 3 tanker spots available. Any additional spots open up if the commander wants them to. This is not the equivelent of current RO where you have 3 tanks and 9 spots, but the commander can block the other 2 players from entering. There are no other spots unless the commander wants there to be. It is simple first come first serve like every other class above riflemen.

There is also the issue of "too many tankers". Having 3 tanks with 3 commanders and 29 infantry is probably better than having 3 tanks with 9 crew and only 23 infantry. The nice thing about the AI crew is it should allow the tanks to operate more effectively under one person's control without requiring a reduction in infantry players. It remains to be seen how well AI controled positions handle, especially gun positions as AI's can aim incredibly accurately if not nerfed in some way.

In regards to the Mark IV, I do agree I think a commander position is needed separate from the gunner. A good pair of eyes watching is a major advantage in combination with a gunner. The ability of the commander to spot targets would be nice, say click on an enemy tank using your binoculars or something, and the commander has a voice command stating "Panzer 3 o'clock", or "infantry 10 o'clock".

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0