• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Series] The Walking Dead

Sry Rattus but that's such a stupid argument. One fantastical element shouldn't negate reality for the rest of the show.

In how is that argument more stupid than "OMG it's so unrealistic that nobody ever saw a zombie movie"?
I was just pointing out that to properly enjoy those kind of movies and series, it's best to not think too much about realism flaws.
Also, I found it rather paradox that one is willing to accept a small flaw like the one mentioned, but is willing to accept the HUGE flaw (which, admittedly is the actual point of the series).

And to be clear: I do enjoy zombie flicks very much, be they old school romero movies or newish 28 days later like. But never ever did it occur to me that it was unrealistic if noone seem to have seen a zombie film.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone else thought of shaun of the dead when they were walking like zombies around the zombies?
Both myself and my flatmate said 'Shaun of the Dead' almost in unison at that point :D

I don't know how you guys can call the second episode slower than the first, I definitely wouldn't. I am looking forward to ep 3 and the revenge of the crazy racist redneck.

Upvote 0
I thought the first scene where the redneck is going through all the stages of desperation was well done. The middle portion of the episode was typical of most miniseries in that they usually have an episode that ties together previous loose ends and at the same time sets you up for the next, hopefully more exciting, few shows. Yes, I'm being optimistic.

The end was a bit bizarre to me. First, the way they approached the city.. on those railroad tracks? I couldnt think of a worse way to do it (what happens if you need to make a quick escape.. you arent turning around or even reversing very fast straddling those tracks). Then they simply walked into Mordor, which one does not do. They only encounter one zombie even though the day prior the whole building was filled with them (I dunno, maybe they chased the redneck when he escaped?). Then, what was up with him cutting his hand off. Wouldnt you have just sawed through the little chain on the cuffs? The zombies didnt break through the door, so it wasnt like he needed to cut his hand off real quick to escape. Also, he was on the roof of a roughly 10 story building and the only door down was chained shut.. what'd he do, pull a spider-redneckman? Weird.

Upvote 0
The end was a bit bizarre to me. First, the way they approached the city.. on those railroad tracks? I couldnt think of a worse way to do it (what happens if you need to make a quick escape.. you arent turning around or even reversing very fast straddling those tracks). Then they simply walked into Mordor, which one does not do. They only encounter one zombie even though the day prior the whole building was filled with them (I dunno, maybe they chased the redneck when he escaped?). Then, what was up with him cutting his hand off. Wouldnt you have just sawed through the little chain on the cuffs? The zombies didnt break through the door, so it wasnt like he needed to cut his hand off real quick to escape. Also, he was on the roof of a roughly 10 story building and the only door down was chained shut.. what'd he do, pull a spider-redneckman? Weird.

Very true. There's a bunch of wtf type scenarios. Like when Glen is zooming everywhere with that loud *** siren after they just flipped out about making noise. Nobody cares at all until he gets to camp and the damage is done. No one in the city group thought it'd be smart to try and stop him or at least be pissed off he's being so wreckless?

And Rick still has no charisma.

Upvote 0
Honestly I'm kind of disappointed at this point. Part of the problem with turning Walking Dead into a TV show is there are long stretches with little action. Not so bad when you can just read on until something exciting happens, but in a show it's not a good thing.

Still, I'll wait to judge until they introduce my favorite character and get some human-on-human violence going.

Upvote 0
Lots of people say I'll wait and see or I'll stay optimistic or let's see how next week goes but honestly, when have you ever seen a show just completely turn around and fix all its faults? Pretty much never for me. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound and Down, The Black Donelly's, Generation Kill...all good from the very beginning. It's highly doubtful this show will be anything more than decently entertaining. Just saying.

Upvote 0
Then, what was up with him cutting his hand off. Wouldnt you have just sawed through the little chain on the cuffs? The zombies didnt break through the door, so it wasnt like he needed to cut his hand off real quick to escape. Also, he was on the roof of a roughly 10 story building and the only door down was chained shut.. what'd he do, pull a spider-redneckman? Weird.

A friend of mine who read the comics says that that character wasn't in there. This sounds like the classic original addition from the writers and they just wanted to add something drastic and hardcore for the sake of it, without stopping to think if it actually made sense.

Thanks to all the anime/manga I watch, I can say, that I'm very experienced in crappy adaptations and ruined stories, because someone tries to add their own stuff or change something to an original story.

Haven't seen the episode yet, I'll watch this and Dexter tonight, which IMO the new season is not nearly as good as the last one, the topic and the bad guys are interesting, but it lacks the tension from previous seasons.

Upvote 0
Hacksawing the handcuffs would have taken for ever, those things are generally made of very hardened steel that takes a long time to saw through. If I was in that spot I'd probably have cut the part of the pipe fitting the other end was on that would definitely be faster. But then again I'm not a racist douche so I wouldn't have been in that spot to begin with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the show is great, last episode was "slow", yes. I do not see a problem with this, and a good show doesn't need action in every episode, nor does this one need zombie killing every episode either to make it a good show.

The last episode focused more on the people and their situations, their emotions and interactions, I thought it was great and fairly realistic. People on edge, their emotions going through a roller coaster, result being people clash for the littlest things.

I do agree with the car having the alarm blaring the whole time though. He could have stop somewhere on the highway and turned it off, or waited for the truck to come along with everyone else in it. Instead of bringing it all the way to camp making all that noise.

Another gripe, the spot for their camp I think is good choice, on top of quarry, filled with water. A good barrier, however they still have woods to their back. Why not fortify it? Use all those trees to build a barrier, a fence of sorts. They have a good amount of people; chopping down trees and building a fence all day, every day since they got there might have been a good idea. Or dig deep ditches, where their side of the ditch is steep, at a 90 degree angle, thus making it nearly impossible for zombies to climb out of the ditch should they fall in. Add on top of the ditch cut down logs, making it even taller should the zombies try and crawl on top of each other to get out.

I hope I am explaining this fairly well, but when I first saw the camp, those were my thoughts. I mean one could easily turn it into sort of a fortress with ease. They only really have to worry about 180 degrees to defend versus 360 thanks to the quarry. As for the road leading up from the quarry, build a road block. Or, more practically and easier, use a vehicle to block the road, so you can escape if need be, but it still block the road leading up from the quarry.

Otherwise, great show.

Upvote 0