• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG34 vs MG42

Nicholas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Which one do you prefer? I'm not sure which one I like best, although I tend to use the MG42 as an infantryman since I always use the MG34 in vehicles.

BTW why do all German vehicles only use MG34's? Is that soley what they used in real life on vehicles?

Nicholas said:
BTW why do all German vehicles only use MG34's? Is that soley what they used in real life on vehicles?

For halftracks they did use MG42 also, but for every other vehicle they MG34 since MG42 barrel is basically impossible to change inside a tank compared to MG34. You can use the ingame barrel changing animation for further reference.

Upvote 0
For halftracks they did use MG42 also, but for every other vehicle they MG34 since MG42 barrel is basically impossible to change inside a tank compared to MG34. You can use the ingame barrel changing animation for further reference.

Not only that...

The MG34's in tanks were special tank variants with a heavier barrel. In vehicles the MG34 was preferred for a few reasons:

1: Dirt wasn't a problem inside tanks
2: It had higher accuracy
3: It's lower firing-rate allowed for longer sustained fire

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0
I almost always bring the MG-42. Why? It's a god damn MG-42. Who needs accuracy when the entire area is covered in bullets? MG-34 might be more versatile, but it's nowhere near as fun as the beast that is the 42.

Agreed here, but I fail to see the MG42 as anything more than a lulz weapon. I only like the MG42 if I'm in a pair with another MGer. I just feel that I will last longer with the '34, but I will kill larger groups of enemies with the '42.

It's great for scaring people. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Which one do you prefer? I'm not sure which one I like best, although I tend to use the MG42 as an infantryman since I always use the MG34 in vehicles.

i can answer your question, the reason they didn't use the mg 42 in vehicles is because of its square barrel shape meant it didn't fit in tanks. so basically it was incompatible with vehicles.

also mg42 was a better gun in general. but you had to have a feeder which was another reason why it didn't work in vehicles.

Upvote 0
MG42. Larger belt compared to the smaller drum mag (in game). Higher rate of fire puts heads down. This is what it is meant to do. You don't try to pick enemies off with it.
MG42 is the most accurate machinegun in the game, the ironsight is very unforgiving. It needs to be straight on the target or it misses the first, 2nd, etc shots.

The MG34 is better for firing reasonable accurate volleys of 6-8 bullets.

Upvote 0
MG42 is a pretty nasty weapon against guys that get up and jog around and try to flank. Useless against rifle fire however.

34 is still very acceptable in terms of firepower and mag size while being more controllable for tighter shot placement. Still ineffective against rifle fire, but can be used against prone players.

In terms of accuracy, the DP-28 kills the whole bunch with the 34 behind it. The 42 has a psychotic spread if you watch it. Rounds will go off in random directions with no discernible reason.

Darkest Hour doesn't count. A PPSH could suppress a brigade effectively in DH.

Upvote 0