• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First taste of the ball

exorio

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Played 2 levels of this game. And the survival mode. I say this game rawks. Fresh out from the "me too" games out there.

Unreal 3 engine is simply gorgeous. Altho the AO is a bit excessive here and there tho.

I read that people comparing this game to portal. I'm not sure since I just complete the demo, game and played some bits of the later levels, not completely. Yeah, there's some similarities nevertheless. Both are puzzle games.

But In some ways I feel that the ball is more like physics based puzzle, while portal demands harder, almost frustrating thinking. So, guess that's the difference. I can't say much since I just played the first 2 levels of the campaign.

The combat is not that exciting, but I love the gore and the blood splats!

The levels are completely beautiful with very refreshing theme, reminds me of montezuma's returns way back then, but then again nobody picked this kind of theme for ages afterwards.

This game definitely won't appeal to most gamers, specially the "traditional" FPS gamers.

some inputs tho. Probably would be helpful if the pull button behave like a switch instead of forcing the players to hold RMB when guiding the ball to their destination. And tone down the humming sound.

All in all, I love this game, thanks for the great game to the team. I love it! Five thumbs up (don't ask where the fifth thumb came from) :D

cheers guys.

I played for a bit today too. Seems like quite a good bit of fun. My laptop was running too hot to keep playing for too long, though. The Portal comparisons are obvious, of course, but that's not a particularly bad thing. They're both pretty entertaining.

some inputs tho. Probably would be helpful if the pull button behave like a switch instead of forcing the players to hold RMB when guiding the ball to their destination. And tone down the humming sound.

Yep. Both suggestions are spot on.

All in all, I love this game, thanks for the great game to the team. I love it! Five thumbs up (don't ask where the fifth thumb came from) :D

cheers guys.

Hell, I don't want to know where thumbs three and four came from, never mind #5.

Upvote 0
I suppose while doing the campaign having the switch mode to pull the ball around would be helpful, but I would most certainly object to the idea of having it as a switch for survival mode. If that were the case, my ability on taking out all the little munchkins would be brought down by quite a bit.

For example, I usually run ahead of my ball while constantly tapping my right click button so that way it still gains the force it needs to crush anything in it's path, but at the same time it would not be so close that it turns green. Albeit, I have been able to kill some while the ball is green (literally up my butt), but that doesn't mean it's able to kill 10 enemies behind me.

Maybe they can give us an option to turn off this switch mode off and on? I don't know; I'm okay with the current controls.

Back to the reason of this thread: Awesome game, loving the survival aspect a lot more than I initially had in mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm liking the game so far, interesting concept and well executed.

I definitely agree with this. I have carpal tunnel and it just kills me trying to hold buttons, I would have probably completed the game by now, but thanks to this, I can't play it much.

Upvote 0
Very unique, and fun.
I can't see any resemblance to Portal other than solving puzzles to move on in the game.

I guess you've got kind of a point ... I mean, the cubes in The Ball have little crossed hammers on them and they're bluish, instead of being grey with hearts on them.

Completely different! :D

But since I -love- Portal, I'm not complaining, really.

Upvote 0