• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PAX Roundup - New Faction, Weapons, Maps and More!

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    50984e32211ab1030cb2666aa6de049efb7f308d.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daspXeyMu9E

In case you missed the above, we announced the Australian Forces are the next faction coming to Rising Storm 2 at our PAX panel! With the Australian update we are of course adding the Australian forces along with the following weapons, vehicles and abilities:
    • Ability
      • Commander Ability - Canberra Bomber
    • Vehicle
      • Huey Gunship (Bushranger)
    • Weapons
      • F1 SMG
      • Owens SMG
      • L1A1
      • L2A1
      • Browning Hi-Power
      • Car-15

44115c1a4032ce4b36fbbd1422585d49db42866c.jpg

• Maps
      • There will be 3 new maps, including new rain effects and material shaders for characters and weapons!

8ea37cccfd0fbac7b7be4c4d05511071c1d86b95.jpg

We are currently in an alpha state with this content and are expecting to reach beta sometime in October with a chance for players to give us their feedback and launching later this year.

Beyond that, we announced we are committed to adding the following (all timing TBD and content subject to change):
    • ARVN - Army of the Republic of Vietnam (Southern Vietnamese Army)
    • More Weapons
    • More Maps (including night maps!)
    • Multiplayer Campaign

Also announced were several items in our Research and Development (R&D) phase which may NOT come to fruition. Many community requests have made this list including:
    • WWII content from Red Orchestra 2 brought forward into RS2
    • 3D VOIP
    • Better Bots (with a co-op game mode)
    • Controller Support (XInput with full joystick to follow)

c46b94819a98dc7da3967f99ab5b6c7c64e7e064.png

And do not forget we have $40,000 on the line in our RS2 Modding contest! http://rs2vietnam.com/contest/

For mappers that enter and request it we will be providing any analytics data we have on their map so they can use that to improve it between phase 1 and 2! And if you haven't checked out some of the great community maps available now, what are you waiting for?
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/418460/workshop/

Remember you can stay up to date on what we are actively working on at the Rising Storm 2: Vietnam roadmap on Trello: https://trello.com/b/pTmp5jlk/rising...ietnam-roadmap And if you have any questions, we hope to do more Developer Q&A's such as the one here moving ahead!

As always we look forward to hearing your feedback!

Tripwire and Antimatter Games

Tbh, I don't want to sit in a tank when there are RPG's and Cobra's around. Tanks just don't really fit the whole scenario. To make them fit they would need maps specifically tailored for that and that isn't really worth the effort. I would rather have that labour time invested in content where the game profits more universally and not just on 1-2 special maps.

Upvote 0
    Wow I wasn't expecting ARVN to be added until much later! Nice to hear about the new weapons, especially the smgs, as someone who only knows about guns from video games these are some very unique looking guns to me.

Just a question, are we ever going to get a new army for the North Vietnamese forces? I play North Vietnamese when I can, it would be nice to see them getting some love too.

Upvote 0
    Gladius;n2304808 said:
    Tbh, I don't want to sit in a tank when there are RPG's and Cobra's around. Tanks just don't really fit the whole scenario. To make them fit they would need maps specifically tailored for that and that isn't really worth the effort. I would rather have that labour time invested in content where the game profits more universally and not just on 1-2 special maps.

Tanks were used heavily by the North and South in 1972 and 1975, and of course if they add ARVN they're going to add different maps, I doubt they'll just change the cosmetics and weapons of existing maps.

Upvote 0
    Gladius;n2304836 said:
    I wouldn't call the tank usage "heavily".

Heavily compared to what most people think. Not many people even know that tanks were used in Vietnam, but North Vietnamese conventional tactics were modeled after the Soviets, which dictated heavy(ish) usage of tanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_An_Lộc
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ban_Me_Thuot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Offensive
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Spring_Offensive

Upvote 0
    Arisaka99;n2304851 said:
    Heavily compared to what most people think.
    I know that there were tanks used. On the big picture it's more like a sideshow tho. And the question is how well those tanks fit in the game generally. I wouldn't exactly complain if tanks would get implemented at one point. But at this time, considering how much labour hours would go into this, I can't see it to happen soon - reasonabily.

Upvote 0
    Gladius;n2304836 said:
    I wouldn't call the tank usage "heavily".

I'd still argue they played a decent role in the war, the US used the M48 alot in a fire support role, similar to how the panzer 4/T-34 is used in many RO2 maps, plus the PAVN did use T-54/55s, could be added as a content fairness thing, and to add some fire support for when the PAVN are attacking.

Upvote 0
    Jpz38 Hetzer;n2304894 said:
    I'd still argue they played a decent role in the war, the US used the M48 alot in a fire support role, similar to how the panzer 4/T-34 is used in many RO2 maps, plus the PAVN did use T-54/55s, could be added as a content fairness thing, and to add some fire support for when the PAVN are attacking.
    Ok, would you say that makes up for good gameplay content? In RO1 tanks work great because you have open fields where the tanks can stay out of the range of the anti-tank-infantry.
    In RO2 which was more focused on the infantry fighting, tanks are not really fun to play. They are a sideshow at the corner of the maps, can't manouvre much. Fire support role yes. Fun gameplay not so much.

What I'm saying is that I don't know of much occasions where tanks were used that would provide fitting scenarios for the game. But maybe thats just me...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Gladius;n2304899 said:
    Ok, would you say that makes up for good gameplay content? In RO1 tanks work great because you have open fields where the tanks can stay out of the range of the anti-tank-infantry.
    In RO2 which was more focused on the infantry fighting, tanks are not really fun to play. They are a sideshow at the corner of the maps, can't manouvre much. Fire support role yes. Fun gameplay not so much.

What I'm saying is that I don't know of much occasions where tanks were used that would provide fitting scenarios for the game. But maybe thats just me...

Just look up battles in the 1972 Easter Offensive.
    An Loc and Quang Tri are a two that come to the top of my head.

Upvote 0
    Arisaka99;n2304942 said:
    Just look up battles in the 1972 Easter Offensive.
    An Loc and Quang Tri are a two that come to the top of my head.
    Again: I'm not asking if tanks were generally used in Vietnam. I know that they were used. This is not the question here. The question is how would be a map scenario look like, that is fun to play. You want tanks, okay. How do you want to have them implemented? Give me a scenario based on a real event.

Because a desperate and failed employment of tanks doesn't make up for good gameplay.

In SU mode tanks wouldn't function in a 360° thread environment. SK mode is out of the question. This leaves TE mode and if it's like in RO2 where tanks can just move a little at the side of the map, then I'm not interested. You have to realize how much work it is to model a tank, with all those crew stations. Again: I would rather have those labour hours invested into something where the game benefits on a wider spectrum. Bringing tanks to a vietnam game is like making a car racing game about women driving in Saudi Arabia. Not much relevant going on there.
    knocked_out_north_vielorlp.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    imnrk;n2304813 said:
    Wow I wasn't expecting ARVN to be added until much later! Nice to hear about the new weapons, especially the smgs, as someone who only knows about guns from video games these are some very unique looking guns to me.

Just a question, are we ever going to get a new army for the North Vietnamese forces? I play North Vietnamese when I can, it would be nice to see them getting some love too.

I'm also pleasantly surprised about how fast the new content is coming!

The ARVN makes the most sense from a historical perspective, but I think the ANZACs are making it in first largely due to their weapons, which are really rare in games.

I don't think there's really another North Vietnamese army, but I think there are a couple of interesting ways to add content for them-
    -What if, on some maps, the PAVN used the same squad spawn system as the southern forces? This would be appropriate for scenarios with more "regular" troops.
    -Also, I think a lot of weapons/variety could be added to the Viet Cong faction to show that they've scrounged together their supplies. A lot of WW2 weapons would be appropriate for that. I would also LOVE to see the MAS-49 and K-50M.

Upvote 0
    Gladius;n2304963 said:
    Again: I'm not asking if tanks were generally used in Vietnam. I know that they were used. This is not the question here. The question is how would be a map scenario look like, that is fun to play. You want tanks, okay. How do you want to have them implemented? Give me a scenario based on a real event.

Because a desperate and failed employment of tanks doesn't make up for good gameplay.

In SU mode tanks wouldn't function in a 360° thread environment. SK mode is out of the question. This leaves TE mode and if it's like in RO2 where tanks can just move a little at the side of the map, then I'm not interested. You have to realize how much work it is to model a tank, with all those crew stations. Again: I would rather have those labour hours invested into something where the game benefits on a wider spectrum. Bringing tanks to a vietnam game is like making a car racing game about women driving in Saudi Arabia. Not much relevant going on there.
    knocked_out_north_vielorlp.jpg

I liked having tanks on TE...
    But yeah, I'm kinda just hoping they'll be implemented, even if it's unlikely.
    Though tanks were relevant during Vietnam, I'll just leave it at that.

Upvote 0
    Gladius;n2304992 said:
    Thats the answer that I always get when I ask for a good gameplay scenario. Uhhhhm... want tanks... someone figure it out...

Well as I have mentioned, I actually liked tanks in RO2, something similar in RS2 would float my boat perfectly. Anything besides that is a different story, but I'm just hoping for combined arms type gameplay.

Upvote 0
    Gladius;n2304992 said:
    Thats the answer that I always get when I ask for a good gameplay scenario. Uhhhhm... want tanks... someone figure it out...

Tbh tanks would probably work pretty well on some bigger surpremacy maps with some large fields or a rice paddy (think a map similar to the outskirts/helicopter path to part of Song Be) or even territories mode on a bigger version of cu chi, lots of distance for some real fights.

Upvote 0
    Jpz38 Hetzer;n2305010 said:
    Tbh tanks would probably work pretty well on some bigger surpremacy maps
    You have two problems. Cobra and RPG. The thing is that the effective range of the RPG is huge. In an asymetric map tanks would be a sitting duck or generally constrained to a certain area of the map. That would result in a static fire support role like in RO2. That's not what tank warefare is really about. It should be about movement and fire.

Don't get me wrong the anti-tank-infantry role was my main in RO1. I didn't like RO2 so much because the tank/anti-tank thing got so much gimped down. I would be all up for a good combined arms gameplay, I just can't really see that in the bushes of vietnam. That's not tank terrain. And I'm not interested to play a static cannon.

Upvote 0