• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Interim Beta 6.1 End - New Build later today

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    To the Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Community,

We'd like to thank those who joined us for this weekend's 6.1 closed beta, providing feedback on numerous topics. It's these topics that we wish to speak to a bit more to ensure the community understands… we're listening.

Map Balance
    The primary reason for this past weekend's session was to publish recent map changes (Cu Chi and Hue City) that had been subject to some balance changes, in response to your feedback from the main beta wave 6. We'll be posting a survey this afternoon to collect feedback from all of you on how you felt the overall changes were.

Performance
    We also took notice of the performance drops that occurred in Hue City and Cu Chi. We've been addressing performance steadily (and there's more to come), but there was a PhysX-related issue that didn't show itself until we had the latest build of Hue with consistently full servers. We've made some changes to address that and we will be pushing out another build this afternoon which should address this issue. We'll be monitoring and will also be looking for your feedback.

Newly added VO
    With this build, you heard the new VO for US, Vietnamese and the announcer voices. It is often one of the last pieces to come together completely in the development process. We have heard a lot of feedback over the weekend and we're reviewing that. This would include ramping up the "intensity" and "aggressiveness". This is not a simple overnight process, as it will involve some re-writing and re-recording, and as such, the new VO will most likely not be ready in time for CB7. Stay tuned for more details on this subject.

So, again our thanks for taking part over the weekend. It genuinely helps and steers us on the development to get all that feedback.

You have our continued thanks, patience and understanding.

Reactions: The Chocolate Jesus
    It's the first time that I'm really disappointed by the beta process. The new voices aren't on pair with the ones of RO2/RS. I never actually thought of this happening! I thought that we could build upon what TWI and AMG already nailed in both RO2 and RS and make it even better. But I don't see this happening. The voice actors are set in stone. I don't believe that some re-recording and re-writing will change up a lot. But well... let's see how this will go. Some faith's still left.

I believe that Red Orchestra and Rising Storm being a "PTSD-Simulator" is a huge selling point. It's something military-shooters barely capture. There is a reason why allied death sounds from Rising Storm get more than 179k views on YouTube, with a channel with less than 70 subscibers. The other voices are at the same level but aren't understood. And there is a reason why the White Phosphorus - Scene in Spec Ops: The Line is so popular. I know that a "finished" videogame is a huge collection of compromises. I feel you. Especially as indie-developers and when you try to potray something realistic. But a huge potential would be missed if you don't take the chance.

Even RO2/RS could've been improved a whole lot without recording new voice-lines. Not to mention that many voice-lines were missing! But let's look forward on RS2 and what could be done in terms of implementation of new voice-lines and what could be done in re-recording and re-scripting. And I think those suggestions are realistic.

Potrayal of dying in first person:
    It's important to make the player feel that death is permanent even though you can respawn in a few seconds again. There are many things to achieve this effect.
    • If your character is hurt and will die, increase the time your camera is linked to the ragdoll. Make it fade out to black slowly before the spawn selection will display. Do not switch to spectator mode before this menu and let the voice-lines be audible for the first person too.
    • If you die from a headshot, make the blackscreen as long as the camera which is linked to the ragdoll.
    • Add a new alterantive where your hearing will cut-off instead of the vision. E.g. from explosions.
    • Reuse the stand-to-death animation from RO2 again. Maybe add the possibility of slow movement to make it feel more responsive/less annoying Add more inaccuracy ot hipfire. (Up to debate, because some people found it annoying, veterans for the most part, not newbies)
    • Add voice-lines which express fear and trigger in certain situations.
    • Improve the dying in a helicopter. When the helicopter explodes, the camera is all over the place. But good job on rotating helicopters.
    Potrayal of dying in third person:
    • We need voice-lines which are terrifying just like in RO2/RS. But they should not cut off randomly. They should be long ones and short ones. And they should vary.
    • Increase the time of third person death animations ons the ground.
    • Introduce the mercy shot for dying persons on the ground.
    • Tweak the loudness and sound drop off in distance of voicelines. I heard a lot of sounds (like heavy breathing or begging while dying) which are as loud as scream sounds of others. This needs revision.
    • I don't know if this is possible but: link the sound-source to the ragdoll. Currently, the sound is where the player was shot. This is confusing and breaks immersion.
    • Make headshot-deaths completely silent.
    Miscellaneous:
    • Add a body count slider in the game settings (not in the graphic settings, the usual tweaked console command but in the settings)
    • Use 4 voice-actors per faction. Assign three voices to the faces you select in the character customisation (make random-face default for variety). The last one is assigned to the TL and announcer.
    • Add radio-filter to the announcer. People are simply used to it and it seperates the announcer to the other voice-lines.
    Along with the usual suggestions concerning the current voice-lines this will make RS2 the ultimate PTSD-Simulator. They don't change a lot but it's about the details. They really count.

And if it seens impossible to hire that many voice actors, I've seen community projects doing unbelievable things before.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Performance has improved, but gunshots seem too muffled and far away even from 50 meters in Hue City. The performance does need to improve nonetheless, i still get drops to 30 and below when artillery and smoke is called/deployed. Keep up the hard work guys! we don't care if it takes more time to get it all perfect, it matters that its perfect and it's getting there! awesome work!!!

Upvote 0